It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:17

I-Gaging Snap Check +

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

I-Gaging Snap Check +

Postby Blackswanwood » 30 Nov 2021, 16:07

This may be seen by some as a bit gadgety but I thought I'd share it as I've found it to be a great bit of kit.

I have always used a Trend gauge for setting the depth of cut and fence gap on my router table. Unfortunately said gauge met with an accident and so I was in the market for a replacement and ended up buying one of these from Peter Sefton's emporium.

IMG_8691.jpg
(150.12 KiB)

What don't I like about it ...1) the name - gauge includes a u ... 2) made in China - I naively thought it was going to be made in the US.

Those points apart I really like it.

I regularly make inlaid jewellery boxes and having a digital read out means it's easier to be accurate. Age has dictated I am borderline for reading glasses so anything that avoids putting them on gets my vote.

The anvil is spring loaded and can be sat on the router bit while I adjust it to get exactly the depth I want.

IMG_8692.jpg
(123.64 KiB)

IMG_8693.jpg
(228.6 KiB)

The magnets in the handle keep it in place leaving both hands free.

IMG_8694.jpg
(94.47 KiB)

It's bang on in terms of accuracy (which is something I understand I-Gaging have a reputation for) and while it may not be everyone's cup of tea it works for me. :D :D :D
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Re: I-Gaging Snap Check +

Postby Andyp » 30 Nov 2021, 16:22

looks like the sort of thing that could end on someone's Christmas list.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Argus » 30 Nov 2021, 16:58

I-Gaging as a maker caught my attention a few years ago when they produced a 6 inch Dial Caliper that is calibrated in imperial inches - marked at 1/8ths and divided down to 1/64ths. It's bang-on accurate, too.

It's an unusual tool, which I find more useful than inches expressed in a decimal form, as most of my cutting tools - chisels and the like are pre-War and Imperial.

There was no supplier in the UK, so I ordered it from the States. All up, including post and duties, it was a little over thirty quid.

IMG_0823.JPG
(931.18 KiB)
Argus
Sapling

Name:

Postby Doug » 30 Nov 2021, 18:01

I bought the minimag digital height gauge from Peter over 5 years ago similar principle but with a metal base, I don’t think of it as gadgety it makes setting up machines a doddle particularly the spindle moulder, I wouldn’t want to be without it.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 01 Dec 2021, 13:02

I have just ordered one of these https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/econ ... ght-gauge/

Looks like a usefull bit of kit, and easer to read once you get over a certain age.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby novocaine » 01 Dec 2021, 13:17

I think I'll stick with the good stuff thanks. :D
Imageheight gauge by David Rees, on Flickr

and if that doesn't do what I want:

Imagelarge depthing gage by David Rees, on Flickr
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby NickM » 01 Dec 2021, 15:30

I’m in the market for a new set of digital callipers for another hobby of mine which demands good accuracy. IGaging products have some decent reviews and seem to compare pretty favourably to Mitutoyo which, from what I can tell, are pretty much the gold standard. They seem to be £40-50 cheaper. I may yet pay the extra for the Mitutoyo but would be interested in other thoughts. (Apologies the thread hijack but hopefully it’s helpful and relevant.)
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Doug71 » 02 Dec 2021, 21:11

Thank you for posting about this, does look useful, I have asked Santa for one :D
Doug71
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 03 Dec 2021, 09:02

NickM wrote:I’m in the market for a new set of digital callipers for another hobby of mine which demands good accuracy. IGaging products have some decent reviews and seem to compare pretty favourably to Mitutoyo which, from what I can tell, are pretty much the gold standard. They seem to be £40-50 cheaper. I may yet pay the extra for the Mitutoyo but would be interested in other thoughts. (Apologies the thread hijack but hopefully it’s helpful and relevant.)

It's worth looking out for second-hand Mitutoyo calipers: they're a lot cheaper and are built to last. I've never used iGaging ones so can't comment on how they compare but I have two Mitutoyo digital calipers (both bought second hand) at home and another one (bought new, but not by me!) at work and they are all excellent. I've checked the second hand ones on some gauge blocks and they're spot on. The absolute position thing is a very good thing in my opinion - no chance of them skipping a "count" and having an offset until you re-zero them. I still like to check the reading with the jaws closed every time, but with the Mitutoyo ones it's always been zero whereas some of the cheaper ones I've used have occasionally drifted and been slightly out (up to about 0.2 mm!) It's easy enough to re-zero the cheap ones, but it shouldn't be something you have to do regularly.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby NickM » 03 Dec 2021, 10:34

Dr.Al wrote:
NickM wrote:I’m in the market for a new set of digital callipers for another hobby of mine which demands good accuracy. IGaging products have some decent reviews and seem to compare pretty favourably to Mitutoyo which, from what I can tell, are pretty much the gold standard. They seem to be £40-50 cheaper. I may yet pay the extra for the Mitutoyo but would be interested in other thoughts. (Apologies the thread hijack but hopefully it’s helpful and relevant.)

It's worth looking out for second-hand Mitutoyo calipers: they're a lot cheaper and are built to last. I've never used iGaging ones so can't comment on how they compare but I have two Mitutoyo digital calipers (both bought second hand) at home and another one (bought new, but not by me!) at work and they are all excellent. I've checked the second hand ones on some gauge blocks and they're spot on. The absolute position thing is a very good thing in my opinion - no chance of them skipping a "count" and having an offset until you re-zero them. I still like to check the reading with the jaws closed every time, but with the Mitutoyo ones it's always been zero whereas some of the cheaper ones I've used have occasionally drifted and been slightly out (up to about 0.2 mm!) It's easy enough to re-zero the cheap ones, but it shouldn't be something you have to do regularly.

Thanks
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby novocaine » 03 Dec 2021, 10:39

I'll second Al's recommendation, there are very few manufacturers that get close to or better Mitutoyo for calipers or micrometers.
I have a set of calipers, they only come out for the good stuff, everything else is done with cheapies.
they are a joy to use.

as can be seen above though, I still use old school gear as well.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby NickM » 03 Dec 2021, 12:28

Probably naive question: would you say this is likely to be a fake?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393736226051 ... SwGH1hofYM

Price seems to good to be true?

There are loads like this which come up from a search.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 04 Dec 2021, 11:28

RRP for the basic genuine is over £140 so that just to be a knock off capacitative one rather than the contamination resistant magnetic ones
Most of the knock off adverts feature the letters CNC somewhere but no mention of that on the mitutoyo website.

If you want a knock off one they are £28 on aliexpress
Or even less from Wish
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Machines & Power Toolery