It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:48

How to Tend Cutters, Knives, and Saws PDF

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

How to Tend Cutters, Knives, and Saws PDF

Postby Trevanion » 09 Dec 2021, 21:07

I recently picked up a very rare copy of "How to Tend Cutters, Knives, and Saws for Machine Woodworkers and Sawmill Owners" from 1917 and I decided to scan it for all to see as copies aren't common to come across as I imagine not many copies survived being a small paper string-bound booklet. As it turns out, it seems this was written by W.J. Blackmur who also wrote "How to Work a Spindle Moulder" (PDF Here), "Woodworking Machinery for Small Workshops", and "Saw Mill Work and Practice", unless there is also another Woodworking Machinery expert from the same time period with the initials W.J.B!

The PDF is available here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/725i3aoyw0sw38z/Saws%2C%20Knifes%20%26%20Cutters.pdf?dl=0

I really like this illustration:

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: How to Tend Cutters, Knives, and Saws PDF

Postby AndyT » 09 Dec 2021, 21:16

That's a real gem, many thanks for sharing. I thoroughly approve of any woodwork related job that needs a proper hat!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Trevanion » 09 Dec 2021, 21:37

AndyT wrote:That's a real gem, many thanks for sharing. I thoroughly approve of any woodwork related job that needs a proper hat!

My friend David who runs a cabinetmaking workshop/turn-of-the-century woodworking machinery museum in Sweden is a strong proponent of wearing a bowler hat while working :lol:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil Pascoe » 09 Dec 2021, 23:25

At school in the late '60s I got sent on occasion to the maintenance shop for nails (they were frowned upon in the woodwork shop and not stocked). The head maintenance carpenter was a rather dapper chap of retiring age who always wore a tweed jacket, white shirt and tie and a trilby. An interesting man, he built clock cases for a hobby. He fixed the furniture we smashed. :lol:
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Return to Machines & Power Toolery