It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:39

Dening & Co, Chard, Somerset

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dening & Co, Chard, Somerset

Postby Trevanion » 09 Dec 2021, 21:54

I recently acquired this catalogue from a very obscure woodworking manufacturer based in Chard, Somerset. Looking online, Dening & Co were founded in 1828 and were more known for their agricultural implements rather than their woodworking machinery, which I think is evidenced by the fact there are so few surviving examples of their machinery to be found, with only a selection of circular saws and one bandsaw existing in picture form online. There are some quite interesting-looking machines in the catalogue, the circular saw and bandsaw combination machine in particular looks like it would be very handy.

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Dening & Co, Chard, Somerset

Postby AndyT » 09 Dec 2021, 23:31

Chard has quite a surprising amount of industrial history, including experimental steam powered flight.

There's a pamphlet about Dening's from the local industrial archaeology society that might be worth risking £4.50 of your book fund on - scroll down on this page to no 6:

http://www.sias.me.uk/publications.html
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Dec 2021, 11:51

I remember seeing a Dening machine mounted on the back of a trailer at the Guildford County Show several years ago. I took several photos that I will try to find. It was a very large circular saw, with no guards whatsoever, and was being demonstrated cutting large tree trunks into planks using a roller conveyer at each end.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby droogs » 10 Dec 2021, 12:30

Pre-war machinery is so much prettier than modern ones in regard to the aesthetic but they do look dodgy as **** to use safely though :D
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby clogs » 10 Dec 2021, 12:49

I had one of their huge circ saw benches......
the wife made me put a gaurd on before using it.....for some reason....lol.......
the blade was the imp equiv of 750mm........
Man could that thing slice up oak ......
I converted it to be driven by a 50hp tractor.......
happy days.....lol.......
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Dec 2021, 12:54

Yes, the one at the agri show was driven by a steam traction engine if my memory serves me correctly. Scary tool, but the guys operating it were never near the sharp end.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Alasdair » 10 Dec 2021, 14:48

When i started my apprenticeship in the mid 80s we had one of those solid chisel mortice machines, hated using it in the winter as that part of the workshop had not heating and your hand would stick to the cast iron handle.
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AndyT » 13 Dec 2021, 15:51

AJB Temple wrote:I remember seeing a Dening machine mounted on the back of a trailer at the Guildford County Show several years ago. I took several photos that I will try to find. It was a very large circular saw, with no guards whatsoever, and was being demonstrated cutting large tree trunks into planks using a roller conveyer at each end.

I wonder if it was this one, spotted at the Great Dorset Steam Fair in 2015?

portable_steam_bandsaw.png
Dening saw
(1.56 MiB)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Return to Machines & Power Toolery