It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:20

CNC Router! (Drawing Ukulele Components)

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: CNC Router! (Probing!)

Postby 9fingers » 06 Feb 2022, 15:43

Looks good. With the knowledge of the machine origin (0,0,0) and the co-ordinates of a datum point on the workpiece, you should always be able to recover from a power failure even if the program has machined away the datum.

My 1970s technology DRO on the milling machine has datum points on the glass scales which I can move to, jot down the co-ordinates and similarly recover from power loss. I must admit I rarely use it as we rarely get power cuts but one day I'll regret not using it!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 06 Feb 2022, 16:28

Good progress. looking forward to the first cut :)

Malc did answer my question and more by PM if anyone was wondering.

The height of the tallest part on the spindle unit is 550mm. Bits that stick out add 170mm to the nominal width and similarly add 160mm to the length.

So if I was to get a 1500 x 1000 model I'd need enough space for 1170mm wide x 1660mm long x 550mm high - which is quite a lump. I'll see if Malc finds a way move his 70kg machine to use his saw. Bigger would be heavier. Birthday this month but I'll keep procrastinating for now.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 06 Feb 2022, 17:47

Mslc,
So much of your post read like a foreign language but I enjoyed the vid.

Well done.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: CNC Router! (VFD Configuring to Spindle)

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Feb 2022, 16:49

Now it's time to to configure the VFD to the 1.5Kw spindle. I've checked the wiring and the continuity many times. So here goes.

Well actually, this is Test 2. Test 1 went anti-clockwise! :oops: And too much tape flag!

https://youtu.be/gX0pNprBrdk
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: CNC Router! (VFD Configuring to Spindle)

Postby NickM » 26 Feb 2022, 17:03

Good progress. You’ll soon have it airborne. :shock:
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: CNC Router! (There's been a distraction or two)

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Mar 2022, 18:48

I wouldn't want you to think I'd lost interest, or that you had, but it's one of Mission Control's special round number birthday's this year and she's arranging something for every month. February was a Scotland road trip to see family and friends.

When we got back, stuff had to be done, so there no workshop visits, then, would you believe, the utility company installing poles for fibre on our estate must have damaged my cooper landline while connecting ducting from the pole to the manhole 2 doors away. I say must have, because it went down the same time they were there.

So I contacted my supplier, this was last Thursday, the 24th, and it's been a nightmare with them for a week! I have had to go through not only the security questions etc every time, but I've had to test my own router, my own corded phone and my own BT sockets within the house. This is every time I've had to chase up. Nobody's rung me back.

Nobody's been to look at the manhole. I even contacted the fibre utility because I am interested in a product of theirs. They said they'd send the site project manager to investigate, but I haven't seen him.

So, I haven't been able to download the latest version of the CNC control software. But I've been in the workshop and tried to make progress. As you know I can jog, home and probe the machine. I've connected up the VFD to the spindle and I can manually control that. That's is so much quieter than a handheld router. I can jog and home with the spindle running manually with no apparent EMI problems, but I can get the controller to communicate with the VFD.

But I'm working on it. Rant over, but don't ring my landline. It'll sound like I'm not answering. My desktop is connecting to the outside world via my mobile, at least my supplier has given me unlimited data FOC for 30 days. They'd better fix it before then!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 02 Mar 2022, 18:55

One thing to look at on your inverter *might* be the following.
Most inverters need their front panel controls disabled before they will work with the digital inputs. About the only one allow to stay effective with external control enabled is the stop button.

Good Luck
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Mar 2022, 20:30

9fingers wrote:One thing to look at on your inverter *might* be the following.
Most inverters need their front panel controls disabled before they will work with the digital inputs. About the only one allow to stay effective with external control enabled is the stop button.

Good Luck
Bob

Thanks, Bob. The first 3 settings are:-
0 - Parameter Lock/Unlock
1 - Command Source Front panel Or Controller
2 - Speed Source - Front Panel or Controller.

I have switched those on and off several times and can regularly control it manually. I suspect there is just one setting in the controller that needs changing and I haven't yet found it. I'll get there. I'm chatting with Australia on line. They've been the most helpful.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 02 Mar 2022, 23:35

Depending on how your controller communicates with the inverter, you might need to enable the RS-485 interface as the command source?
commands via rs485 Pd001=2 speed control via rs485 Pd 002=2
I've not used the Huanyang inverter myself but they are very popular in the cnc community.
I have a HY manual but not a YM one
Bob

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Mar 2022, 10:11

Thanks, Bob. I'm on it again today.

There's 185 different parameters, but not all are necessary for my set up thank goodness. It's quite possible there's just one more that needs setting in addition to those.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 03 Mar 2022, 10:57

Also check that the comms address is the same as your controller is using, the baud rate is the same and the communications protocol is correct.
These may be PD163,164 and 165
Comms address must not be =0 as that turns off the RS 485 comms

hth
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Mar 2022, 19:31

Done, Bob.

Some progress; I can now start the spindle from within the software but can't stop it! :?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Re: CNC Router! (It works properly!)

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Mar 2022, 13:59

Progress!

Reaching out (don't you just hate that expression?!) to the CNC community around the world, I came up with a means of rectifying my situation by downgrading the firmware one step, and it works.

Nothing to show on a video apart from axes moving while spindle starts, spins and stops; a bit noisier than paint drying. ;)

For those with CNC machines, the downside is the steppers are now really noisy, they sound like graunchy bearings, which was what the firmware upgrade rectified. So I shall now reach out again :) and see if there's a way of fine tuning the noise out.

I might even load a test file and shape some wood before I start building the control box.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby NickM » 07 Mar 2022, 14:29

That’s great. I don’t understand how software makes so much difference to the noise. Upgrading the motherboard on my son’s 3D printer can also reduce noise.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 07 Mar 2022, 16:45

Our first CNC punching machine back in the late 80's early 90's could play a few different tunes just with stepper motor noises. Something to aim for Malc?

Good to hear of progress. look forward to the video of it machining something :)
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 07 Mar 2022, 17:59

I have an image of Malc with a stand at the SW England CNC Router Show :)

Good on yer for getting this far.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Mar 2022, 18:51

You, boys! :)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Re: CNC Router! (First Live Test!)

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Mar 2022, 15:40

Well, having got it working, I suppose it's about time to test it in anger. I found a file online that's supposed to test the accuracy of the machine.

I actually gave it a 'dry' run first, that is, without a cutter in the chuck, and I'd managed to 'home' the machine and 'zero' the job beforehand and it didn't crash into anything. Yay! I did something right.

Although the controller has got a micro SD card onto which you can load files, I loaded this test file from the laptop Commander application via usb lead to the controller hardware.

It comprises a seven sided star and five concentric circles radiused from the centre of the star and was cut with 3.5mm end mill cutter.

I'm quite chuffed with the result. Now I've got to learn Cad/Cam software with post processing capability and design some stuff. My first commission is the granddaughters' tooth fairy boxes with their names on the lids.

The video is sped up x4 to save you making comparisons with paint drying.

https://youtu.be/pfxsLBV1nIs

IMG-6601.JPG
(534.17 KiB)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 09 Mar 2022, 16:04

How accurate do believe it to be Malc? there looks to be disparity between holes and the circles but that could just be the photo?
some of the segments in the centre has been knocked off. The could be cutting speed, cutter. material or no waste clearance or insufficient Z travel before moving. X-Y

The steppers did not seem that noisy so maybe your Aussi pals have suggested a fix?

All good progress

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Mar 2022, 17:53

The photo was taken with an iPhone, so that tiny lens is going to mess up the perspective around the groove junctions.

With my eyesight, I'd say the junctions and hole locations are all accurate. But the depths of the holes and the grooves vary by up to 0.5mm from the 5mm and 2mm depths respectively.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Andyp » 09 Mar 2022, 18:15

nice one Malc

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 09 Mar 2022, 19:06

The z error could be caused by missing steps or a bit of unwanted flexing of the gantry
I presume there is negligible end float in the spindle itself.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Mar 2022, 20:57

9fingers wrote:The z error could be caused by missing steps or a bit of unwanted flexing of the gantry
I presume there is negligible end float in the spindle itself.
Bob

Since I've been backgrading the firmware to get the controller working, the steppers have been so much noisier (which was what the upgrade improved) that I don't know and can't tell if I'm missing steps.

But, the workpiece was cheap mdf, and only secured sideways and not downwards, so it's possible there was a little flex in the mdf. I haven't trammed the machine yet, so it's also possible that some of the up to 0.5mm over depth would be removed by accurate tramming.

The spindle seems so much better than a standard router and is significantly quieter.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Robert » 09 Mar 2022, 23:35

Well done :)

Next challenge to make something you designed and coded from scratch? Even if it is just a rectangle.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Mar 2022, 10:10

Robert wrote:Well done :)

Next challenge to make something you designed and coded from scratch? Even if it is just a rectangle.

Thanks, Robert, after tramming!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

PreviousNext

Return to Machines & Power Toolery