It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:58

Band saw question

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Band saw question

Postby Lons » 02 Jan 2022, 22:56

I have a number of different grub screws as well Michael but not worth the run across unless you happen to be out near me, you know where I am.
If you need something temporary you could shove in a standard size stud though would need to be longer than the original grub screws I have some studs and will look at the grubscrews tomorrow, could always stick in the post if I have any and the above size will let Lurker know what to look for as well.

The original part btw is listed as code 11076 key 3 .........M5 x 8mm
Attachments
3501.png
(322.85 KiB)
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby MY63 » 02 Jan 2022, 23:25

Thanks Lons very kind of you, I did not think to check the parts diagram. Now I know what to order I will order some tomorrow. I don’t have any need for the machine but it was on my list of things to sort. Now it is clean and ready to go when required. You know it is funny some time ago I found a grub screw on the floor I can remover picking it up and wondering what it was from. I also remember putting it somewhere safe, I can’t remember where that was.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby 9fingers » 02 Jan 2022, 23:32

There is a bit of a disparity here between a grub screw needing a 3mm key and claims of an m5 thread which would normally need a 2.5 mm key.
Best to be sure and measure the screw you have m6 will be 5.9mm ish over the threads and m5 will be nearer 4.9mm.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby Lons » 02 Jan 2022, 23:57

MY63 wrote:Thanks Lons very kind of you, I did not think to check the parts diagram. Now I know what to order I will order some tomorrow. I don’t have any need for the machine but it was on my list of things to sort. Now it is clean and ready to go when required. You know it is funny some time ago I found a grub screw on the floor I can remover picking it up and wondering what it was from. I also remember putting it somewhere safe, I can’t remember where that was.

No probs but the offer stands if |I have one however Bob is right about the disparity though the parts diagrams are clear you never know. I have a jar where I put random screws etc. I find on the floor, you never know.....now where did I put that jar? :lol:

What I usually do to double check a thread is just run it through an appropriate sized nut, not foolproof but close enough and I have taps and dies so I can often make up my own
Lons
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 03 Jan 2022, 05:51

MY63 wrote:Thanks Bob any particular supplier?

I use Namrick a lot of the time.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 03 Jan 2022, 15:52

Thanks Roger I will check them.

In my defence I was looking at the box from the side :oops: :lol: It was indeed the 2.5mm

Image2022-01-03_02-43-30 by my0771, on Flickr

The two holders are £10 each inc vat I might just buy them, I think they come with grub screws :eusa-dance:
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 04 Jan 2022, 13:42

This should solve my grub screw issues. For the next 20 years :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Screws-Assortm ... 31&sr=8-29
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Dr.Al » 04 Jan 2022, 20:01

MY63 wrote:This should solve my grub screw issues. For the next 20 years :)

Until you want a cone point one, or an oval point one, or a half-dog point one... and down the rabbit hole we go...

I'll get my coat
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Woodster » 04 Jan 2022, 21:44

It shows Black but says Stainless. It will be interesting to see what you get. Not that it makes much difference in this application. I buy mostly stainless fasteners these days
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 04 Jan 2022, 23:47

Dr.Al wrote:

Until you want a cone point one, or an oval point one, or a half-dog point one... and down the rabbit hole we go...

I'll get my coat

Funny you should say that as I agree that there is no such thing as a 'simple' grub screw. LOML chose some door knobs for our backdoor. Very stylish, I agree. Only the grub screws they supply to hold the knobs on were pants. I kept a hidden Allen key for when the outside one came loose. Then I realised that they'd used the wrong type of grub screw. C-cubed rules ...or not.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Lons » 05 Jan 2022, 00:24

Dr.Al wrote:

I'll get my coat

It's not too difficult to modify them though with a grinder and 1mm cutting disk, if needs must even if a temporary fix.
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 05 Jan 2022, 00:26

I’m not a fan of the smaller sizes in hex socket screws. I much prefer Torx if I can get them, which is not too often unless you want to pay a lot for them. I do have some Torx socket grub screws somewhere though, I think they came from China. Brass grub screws come in handy for some jobs and once again, the best priced ones come from the Far East.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Previous

Return to Machines & Power Toolery