It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:38

Catastrophic failure of bandsaw tyre

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Catastrophic failure of bandsaw tyre

Postby Mike G » 05 Jan 2022, 19:16

I was cutting a piece of pine with my bandsaw a few minutes ago when there was a big bang and all sorts of noises there shouldn't have been. This was the scene on the table top:

The upper tyre had suffered a sudden unplanned disassembly:

Some shockwaves must have got through to the lower tyre, too, because this also showed some damage, which hadn't been there previously:

So, where do I buy new tyres?

Just a suggestion, and I'm not actually sure what you'd be looking for, but if you are in any doubt about your tyres, it might be worth giving them a check. There's a good chance this will have cost me a blade (new last week).
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Catastrophic failure of bandsaw tyre

Postby AJB Temple » 05 Jan 2022, 19:23

Pretty dramatic. Wonder what caused that. Any chance that the blade itself destroyed the tyre?

Hopefully you can get new tyres for it Mike.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 05 Jan 2022, 19:23

Wow that must have been a real brown trouser moment. :shock:
I tuned my old Startrite at the weekend and cleaned the tyres which look ok but mine seem to be more rubberised than yours.

What make and model is the saw Mike?
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 05 Jan 2022, 19:26

Lons wrote:.........What make and model is the saw Mike?

It's the same machine as Trim's, but badged differently.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 05 Jan 2022, 19:27

This website might be of interest Mike, they list a number of sizes and also a made to measure service.

https://bandsawparts.co.uk/
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 05 Jan 2022, 19:29

Lons wrote:..... the tyres which ....seem to be more rubberised than yours.....

Yes, these are some sort of plastic, and they're as brittle as hell. My old bandsaw had rubber tyres. Interestingly, the tyres themselves are flat, so the crown must be on the wheels.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 05 Jan 2022, 19:29

Lons wrote:This website might be of interest Mike, they list a number of sizes and also a made to measure service.

https://bandsawparts.co.uk/

Thanks Bob.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 05 Jan 2022, 19:32

AJB Temple wrote:.........Any chance that the blade itself destroyed the tyre?......

I guess it's not impossible, but I doubt it very much. Everything had been working rather nicely right up to the point when it wasn't. The machine was really nicely tuned, too, and working extremely well. Judging by the state of the plastic sitting here on my desk, this was an accident waiting to happen. It's extremely brittle, and I can snap off a piece of any length I want just by bending it once with my fingers.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jan 2022, 20:20

As and when my startrite demands new tyres, it is my intention to buy some oversize poly v belts and stick them on V's outwards with a scarf joint.

Perhaps you could try the idea out for me Mike in readiness?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby Mike G » 05 Jan 2022, 20:35

:lol: :lol: What sort of scarf would you like me to cut, Bob? Edge-halved would be a bit of a test in 3mm thick material......
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jan 2022, 20:44

Mike G wrote::lol: :lol: What sort of scarf would you like me to cut, Bob? Edge-halved would be a bit of a test in 3mm thick material......

Well some sort of blended join that would be held together by the rotation of the blade rather than a butt joint. I was thinking, glue on one end, shave down with a razor blade. Fit the rest of the rubber round and glued down over the shaved end. Allow to cure and then shave the joint as smooth as possible. Job's a good'un

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 05 Jan 2022, 21:15

I've spotted a tiny weenie little flaw in the "held-together-by-the-blade" idea, Bob.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Jan 2022, 21:19

Mike G wrote:I've spotted a tiny weenie little flaw in the "held-together-by-the-blade" idea, Bob.

Lax text on my part. The direction of the scarf is such that the scarf is held closed rather than given the opportunity to lift. Contact adhesive to bond on the rubber all round the wheel.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby toolsntat » 05 Jan 2022, 21:31

Nightmare Mike.
Just from what you have posted I think it is the rubber the tyres are made of going hard over the last18 /19 years.

I have castors that had rubber tyres in the workshop and the same has happened to them. Gone hard and destroyed themselves when rolling stuff around.

Not something I would recommend but I've often wondered if I was in this situation wether a rubber belt could be stretched and bonded on ?
Cheers Andy
toolsntat
Sapling

Name:

Postby TomTrees » 05 Jan 2022, 22:28

If stretch on tires are not available, or too expensive, or have bad reviews etc, then
it might be worth looking at this stuff which was in a thread titled something like ...
Anyone have success with homemade bandsaw tyres.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-PLY-RE ... pt=3285593

It's very very cheap, and presumablyone could bond it with regular contact adhesive, the likes of what you'd repair a shoe with.
TomTrees
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 05 Jan 2022, 23:42

toolsntat wrote:Nightmare Mike.
Just from what you have posted I think it is the rubber the tyres are made of going hard over the last18 /19 years.

I looked at the badge and saw "2003" and I thought, "Oh, it's not that old" then I saw your comment and realised that the saw is actually old enough to officially drink and get married :shock:

A friend of mine had a bandsaw tyre explode with dramatic effect during running, the only difference being was that it was on a completely unguarded 115-year-old bandsaw running off a leather belt from an overhead lineshaft, he could see it was happening so he poked the tyre with an offcut to preemptively break it whilst it was running, mad man :lol:

I think Bob's lead on Bandsawspares.co.uk is your best bet unless there's some obscure rubber band supplier buried on some industrial estate somewhere that nobody knows about that would supply them for a fraction of the cost. Alas, I'm not aware of such a place existing but it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Jan 2022, 00:17

Cheers guys. I'll be on to them first thing ion the morning.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 06 Jan 2022, 11:46

Trevanion wrote: the saw is actually old enough to officially drink and get married :shock:

It won't be long before mine is old enough to qualify for an early pension. :lol: :lol:
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Lurker » 06 Jan 2022, 11:55

I trust that this thread will develop into a WIP?
Please.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 06 Jan 2022, 11:59

Lurker wrote:I trust that this thread will develop into a WIP?
Please.

Maybe but not if the chosen solution is simply fitting a couple of commercial tyres.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 06 Jan 2022, 12:04

a large format 3D printer and a TPU filament could make made to measure tyres for this and given the direction of movement they would be pretty stable.

you'd have to approach a few of the online services and see if they have an direct FDM with a 20" print bed available for flexible materials though.

https://www.hubs.com/3d-printing/fdm/#fdm-materials
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 06 Jan 2022, 12:57

£50ish for a pair of new tyres feels a bit steep, but after having such a big bang and having parts of the old tyres appear on my workpiece, I won't be risking making my own, having a 3D printed version, or using something not designed for the purpose. I'll just grit my teeth and buy the new ones.

The chap at Bandsawparts was very helpful, and did say that it sounds like they were plastic tyres rather than polyurethane.......but plastic tyres have only been in use for about 10 years, so were likely an after-market part. The polyurethane, he assures me, won't harden or go brittle. I'll place the order this evening when he gets back to the office.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Jan 2022, 12:59

Interesting Mike, the tyres on mine are grey and definitely a hard rubber rather than plastic. They may have degraded over time causing it I guess but they look different to mine, mine are also clearly crowned so perhaps different wheels...?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Mike G » 06 Jan 2022, 13:21

Are your tyres crowned, Mark, or is it the wheels? My tyres are flat, but the wheels are crowned producing a crowned appearance to the tyres.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 Jan 2022, 13:30

Good question Mike, I don't know tbh and without taking the tyres off I'm not sure it's possible to tell is it?

There's no online info on my saw and I've been in dialogue with Axminster but they don't have the historic specs and technical detail any more so I can't even dig into that.

I found that a little strange as I would have thought that (and were I to own a business then I would do this) any product information AT ALL would be archived when that product is superseded or EoL.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Next

Return to Machines & Power Toolery