It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:46

Wadkin PK restoration

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Re: Wadkin PK restoration

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Jan 2022, 17:53

I love polished hand wheels and handles.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby wallace » 31 Jan 2022, 18:30

More shiny stuff, I use a little disc sander with velcro stuck so I can change the sanding sheets easily

Sanded to 500 grit then polished

The bolts were in a sorry state so I touched each face up on the sander

A bit frog tape action

Oh look its single phase

A bit heat shrink me thinks

Peculiar place to put the tag

Thats not good

The bitumen insulation is in nice nick

The bearing ran here, do you think it spun a bearing and the punch marks are to raise the surface. They are 4 sets around the shaft opposite each other.

The front bearing looks good

But the back one could spin freely in its end bell, so will need changing

Got the main table hoisted up to start on it

Very different design than what came after. These are what the sliding table frame sits on and can be altered to change the height. Later these were part of the casting.

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 31 Jan 2022, 18:58

Loving all those shiny bits!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Mike G » 31 Jan 2022, 19:38

That red against the grey.......wow.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wallace » 31 Jan 2022, 21:50

Mike G wrote:That red against the grey.......wow.

You cant get anymore British than post office red
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Vann » 02 Feb 2022, 13:47

That motor is different (as you'll know, having overhauled many PKs by now). I guess it's not a ZF. That whole front bearing arrangement is unusual.
eJkYcYU.jpg
(122.42 KiB)
The the front bearing itself is an RM 11 whereas the ZF motor has an RM 9 bearing.
Front bearing.jpg
(196.07 KiB)
I can't work out which number the rear bearing is, but I hope you can pick one up at a reasonable price.

And isn't this typical.
S52iKRk.jpg
(220.1 KiB)
The terminal block has one round head and one cheese head set screw :eusa-snooty: . Same for the other fitting. I'm sure you'll put that right.

Cheers, Vann.
Vann
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 02 Feb 2022, 15:53

I think that motor plate says 3 phase.
It would not be the first time I'd seen 3 core mains flex used for 3 phase making green/yellow one of the phases.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby wallace » 03 Feb 2022, 06:27

Its a odd design Vann isn't it, it only has one end bell that comes off. I was thinking they must of done the windings within the metal ring then slipped it into the motor casting. Thats why the motor tag is where it is.
The smaller bearing is equivalent to RMS8, the online suppliers wanted £76 for a skf but I found a old stock japanese bearing for £8.

Yes Bob 3 phase, I was just taking the pith, :D Whoever wired it up bought a really nice break for it, in a sturdy metal enclosure. Seems strange to scrimp for a bit of wire. It has wired remote buttons so I will be able to use an original on/off
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby clogs » 03 Feb 2022, 17:50

who's paint .....never really found a decent tough enamal.....
best I ever got was a tractor paint.....
once it was a month old it was almost bomb proof......

I have a few machines that need a paint job was thinking a 2K......??
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby wallace » 03 Feb 2022, 19:15

I did a machine which had been rebuilt by a proper machine builders at some point, calderdale machinery I think. Anyway whatever they used was super tough, it would barely sand and you could bash it with a hammer with little damage.
I've used 2k in the past, it gives a lovely finish but can go * up really easy. I spent 2 weeks prepping a machine for paint, all very maticulus only for it to go pear shaped. Its alot more expensive, a tin of enamel is £11 a litre, a litre of 2k is £50 then you need hardener and special thinners.

A bit more disassembly

And just for Malcolm more shiny stuff :D

The saw came with a nice brake

I have a cunning plan, this saw would originally of had its starter in a cast iron box bolted to the back of the main casting.

You can just see it behind the extraction pipe

This is one of those rocky horse poo items

This is one of my favorite pics in my collection. Wadkin made a display at one of the last wood machine exhibitions they attended. They had pictures enlarged and printed on foam board.

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 03 Feb 2022, 21:10

Cor!!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby wallace » 04 Feb 2022, 18:00

I found some cool buttons in my stash

100 years old and still good

I have a couple of crown guards but there not correct. The top one is off a big saw bench and too big, the next came with the saw but is off a PP saw so not in keeping with the age of mine.

This one is the correct size but its off a small saw bench and attaches diagnally instead of right angles like the pk. I would really like a Wadkin & Co one.

This is an early wadkin one but its been chopped in half

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 04 Feb 2022, 18:03

If that push & turn button metal ? If it was given the Wallace metal polishing treatment it would look so cool.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby wallace » 08 Feb 2022, 17:29

A nit more shiny stuff

The little end bits are sometimes threaded on or like these, peened over. Just file off a bit and punch through.

I put them in a drill and use a power file

Then hold some sand paper in your hand and spin it with a drill

You can do the same with the centre bit, just put some threaded rod and clamp in the chuck

More puddling primer

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 08 Feb 2022, 18:55

When driving around in the bush in Zambia many years ago I came across an overgrown railway yard full of old steam locomotives. They're almost certainly sitting there to this day. They were used in logging, and when all the teak ...Rhodesian teak... ran out, they were parked up as redundant.

One of those would keep you busy for a week or two, and wouldn't it look pretty special when you were done. :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wallace » 08 Feb 2022, 21:29

Mike G wrote:When driving around in the bush in Zambia many years ago I came across an overgrown railway yard full of old steam locomotives. They're almost certainly sitting there to this day. They were used in logging, and when all the teak ...Rhodesian teak... ran out, they were parked up as redundant.

One of those would keep you busy for a week or two, and wouldn't it look pretty special when you were done. :)

I've always been partial to a nice loco, if I had some money I think I would go down the traction engine route.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Feb 2022, 21:40

Nice!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby wallace » 10 Feb 2022, 17:44

I managed to find some new old stock bearings for the princely sum of £8 for two, they are made in Japan so good quality. I think the SKF price was £76.

Because the bearing had spun within the end bell I used some of this

A stud extractor attempt that actually worked,

I made a new stud

It was obvious some one had been in here before to change the front big bearing. this spacer must of been bashed on.

I rubbed it over some sand paper on a cast iron table to remove any dings. The blade flange bares on this so it should be flat.

Motor assembled and given some black paint

wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby wallace » 11 Feb 2022, 18:25

Its like getting ready for surgery

The locating dowels were a bit sad and some were bent, so I got some rods of various thickness to replace all of them on the machine.

Anyone got a source for brass washers about 32mm with a 15mm hole and 3mm thick. I got some but they dont look correct. Wadkin washers always have a little chamfer.

Double mitres are rocking horse poo and when they come up for sale go for about £700. I had some cast in bronze a couple of years back. The price wasn't that bad, I think it was about £150 per section then the machining. I went to one place and they wanted £300 per section to machine. I contacted Mr Doubleboost and a guy he knows did 3 sections for £400.

Im not sure how to finish them, do I clean up the non machined part or paint them.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 11 Feb 2022, 18:35

I like a rough cast look for non-machined parts. Dimpled or stippled or pock-marked, but not painted. I wouldn't attempt to polish those areas up like the machined surfaces. Just my view, and I'm normally wrong when it comes to machinery!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby wallace » 11 Feb 2022, 19:13

I quite like the affect of casting, the thing that bugs me is theirs some fettling so the cast affect is not uniform. How about an engine turned affect, :D
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 11 Feb 2022, 20:45

wallace wrote:Double mitres are rocking horse poo and when they come up for sale go for about £700.

Which I've never really understood, the double mitre isn't exactly a critical piece of equipment for the machine. I don't think I've ever gone "Gee, I really wish I had a double mitre for this job" and I do a fair amount of work on a panel saw. I'm sure there are some that find them invaluable but I've never got the big fuss.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby wallace » 11 Feb 2022, 23:23

Trevanion wrote:
wallace wrote:Double mitres are rocking horse poo and when they come up for sale go for about £700.

Which I've never really understood, the double mitre isn't exactly a critical piece of equipment for the machine. I don't think I've ever gone "Gee, I really wish I had a double mitre for this job" and I do a fair amount of work on a panel saw. I'm sure there are some that find them invaluable but I've never got the big fuss.

I call it the Forsberg affect.I cant think of another machine that has had such appeal globally.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 12 Feb 2022, 06:58

I like how this coming together. I am really surprised the SKF bearings were that much. Those are large, but they’re not running at high speed or under odd loads. The bearings you got are a very good value.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby wallace » 12 Feb 2022, 09:37

kirkpoore1 wrote:I like how this coming together. I am really surprised the SKF bearings were that much. Those are large, but they’re not running at high speed or under odd loads. The bearings you got are a very good value.

Kirk

I think its more to do with them being imperial size.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Machines & Power Toolery