It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:51

Mirka ROS polishing mop?

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Mirka ROS polishing mop?

Postby Glynne » 28 Feb 2022, 16:41

I have a Mirka Ceros ROS (125mm) and was wondering if I could easily attach a polishing mop with either a separate backing plate or attach with hook and loop pad? Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Glynne
Seedling

Name:

Re: Mirka ROS polishing mop?

Postby Doug » 28 Feb 2022, 17:58

I use a hook & loop felt pad on my sander for buffing one of these
https://www.machinery4wood.co.uk/Festoo ... ZMQAvD_BwE

They also do them in 125mm
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Feb 2022, 21:43

Mirka do polishing pads down to very fine grits - like 6000. I have used them for car body repairs. Standard velcro fit. You can also get lambswool mops but they are much less effective than I expected.

Be super careful as if you use polishing compounds, even a superfine pad can cut through lacquer etc and the compound means you may not notice.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby derekcohen » 01 Mar 2022, 14:43

Glynne wrote:I have a Mirka Ceros ROS (125mm) and was wondering if I could easily attach a polishing mop with either a separate backing plate or attach with hook and loop pad? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

It's not the grit used. It's the speed.

I have a Rupes Bigfoot (5" disk). The ideal final polish speed is around 1100 - 1300 rpm. I also have the Mirka Ceros. Its lowest speed is 4000 rpm - much too fast for polishing. It will end up burning the lacquer.

On the other hand, one could use the Rupes for sanding as it has a top speed of 10000 rpm. I would not do so as there is no dust control, and dust inside the machine would end up in polish, which would be a disaster.

Regards from Perth

Derek
derekcohen
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 01 Mar 2022, 14:46

Derek. Jut for info the Mirka Deros has full speed control via the +- control and the palm paddle. You can make it run no faster than hand polishing if you want. Connects to extraction as well.

I see OP has a Ceros too. Never used one of those.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby derekcohen » 01 Mar 2022, 17:00

The Ceros has the same electronic and palm control as the Deros .... the difference in these sanders lies in the Ceros placing the transformer in a separate box, and means that it is lighter and more nimble than the Deros .. more like an air sander.

While these sanders can spin slowly using the paddle control, it is not reliable to use this way for long periods. I would not risk it (certainly not on my car).

Regards from Perth

Derek
derekcohen
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Lons » 01 Mar 2022, 22:01

I have an RAS but would dream of using it on our vehicles however I also own a DAS dual action polisher which I do use to remove swirls, scratched as well as for machine polishing, they are largely fool prof with a little (commonsense), very effective and can be bought for well under £100. I use S20 compound when necessary or 3G if heavily scratched and it goes a long way, I've had mine for years.
Do some research on the detailing forums and websites, materials are often cheaper as well.

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/das-6-v2 ... n-polisher

https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/scholl-s ... p-compound
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Glynne » 03 Mar 2022, 09:39

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Glynne
Seedling

Name:

Postby Leebo310 » 24 May 2022, 21:06

As someone else said, I'd get a dedicated polisher if you want to spruce up your car. I've been into it for a few years now and would keep it separate from the woodwork tools.
Not sure what the throw or orbit is on the sander but I generally think they're smaller than a dedicated polisher. My Rupes has a 15mm throw compared to the 5mm on my sander. Not sure on the exact physics but think that equates to less build up of heat on the panel from the polisher as it's over a larger area, therefore safer for the paint...
Paid over 300 for mine several years ago but plenty of copies available for less than half that with a similar throw and rpm range now. Some will also take smaller backing plates which are far better if you're trying to remove an isolated scratch or mark compared to polishing the whole car.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my M2011K2G using Tapatalk
Leebo310
Seedling

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery