It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:21

Viable Size for Bandsaw

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Viable Size for Bandsaw

Postby Andy Kev. » 21 Mar 2022, 09:45

Good Morning All,

I have recently moved house and due to space constraints had to sell my bandsaw which was a big'n.

I think I can find room to store a smaller model and bring it out onto the patio when I have to use it. I've got a feeling that that will mean a table top model.

My question is about what are the smaller sizes of bandsaw which are still viable as sensible workshop tools.

I appreciated that I won't be able to deep/resaw 12" wide boards and I'd be happy with something that could cope with e.g. 6" boards.

The size is the key factor. I don't want any cheapo rubbish which is going to break down and therefore would be prepared to stump up the cash for quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to size and manufacturer? (My last one was a record Sabre and I was quite content with it.)
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Viable Size for Bandsaw

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Mar 2022, 11:14

My small bandsaw is this one but it ain't cheap. It is however, supremely accurate and built like a main battle tank (but not a Russian one :lol:). When I was working for Ax a few years ago I was nattering to Ian Styles and remember him saying to the firm that supplied the Ax to "make the best small bandsaw on the market'' - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 21 Mar 2022, 12:44

Thanks. That is exactly the sort of thing I'm after, although the price is indeed a bit eye-watering!

Nonetheless, unless I hear of something significantly better, that could be the one.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 21 Mar 2022, 13:01

Andy Kev. wrote:
I think I can find room to store a smaller model and bring it out onto the patio when I have to use it. I've got a feeling that that will mean a table top model.

Much depends on where and how you’re going to store it and how you’re going to move and operate it?

I didn’t have a lot of room in my old workshop but my RP BS300E was on wheels so I just pushed it into a corner when it wasn’t needed.

If you were to get a table top unit you could I suppose lift it onto a dolly to move it. What would you do then, lift it onto a suitable bench to use it? I ask as the one linked weighs 63Kg.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 21 Mar 2022, 13:13

Good questions and I have already had a think about that kind of thing.

There's a small shed which isn't exposed to weather at one end of the patio. I thought of building a small square table for the bandsaw. That would work if I could find casters which could either be raised and lowered or which had a good, strong immobilising mechanism. Then it could be wheeled out onto the patio and made stable.

For the saw itself, I'd get a hood made, rather like those things that people drape over motor bikes and store the bandsaw along with a bit of silica gel under the hood when not in use. I would imagine that a draw cord on the hood which could be pulled tight around the table top would do enough to prevent rusting.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 21 Mar 2022, 13:27

Yes that could work. I’m not sure what difference it would make in terms of floor space though over a floor mounted saw. I’ve not had much luck protecting stuff from going rusty in sheds. A good machine wax may help stop the table itself going rusty though. I’ve seen the machine linked before. It does look like a good machine and I’d love a bandsaw that could cut both wood and metal. The price is high but if you can afford it and the specs are suitable then it may be a good choice. Let us know how you get on.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andy Kev. » 21 Mar 2022, 13:34

I will let you know and thanks for the tip.

Unfortunately nothing's going to happen instantly: a bit of saving will have to be done!
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby johnward » 21 Mar 2022, 13:37

Woodbloke wrote:My small bandsaw is this one but it ain't cheap. It is however, supremely accurate and built like a main battle tank (but not a Russian one :lol:). When I was working for Ax a few years ago I was nattering to Ian Styles and remember him saying to the firm that supplied the Ax to "make the best small bandsaw on the market'' - Rob

I have one of these, bought it about 3 years ago (price£1,150) and it suits my small wook-shop very well. It rips 6" boards but you need to make a slow cut. I thought it a bit dear at the time but it's a good solid machine.

John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 21 Mar 2022, 23:20

Andy Kev. wrote:My question is about what are the smaller sizes of bandsaw which are still viable as sensible workshop tools.

Well, I would say that's all relative to what you plan on doing with it mostly, practically all bandsaws are viable within their capacities. There's a well-known member here *Cough* AndyT *Cough* who uses a rather small Burgess benchtop bandsaw quite effectively for their own use for small ripping work, not the best bandsaw in the world by any means (I can say this from experience with one!), but if you've got a sharp blade on it, it will cut wood :D

The nice thing about the Burgess saws is that they're plentiful and dirt cheap, you can quite easily pick one up for £20, but I think it only cuts something like 3" high from memory. A step up would be something like an INCA saw, which are a good saw but they can be a bit odd to use at first if you're used to the conventional style of bandsaw with the column on the left and blade on the right, you'll pay more for one of these as they're quite desirable but you could still pick one up for under £100 on the right day. There are others worth considering too like the smaller Startrite or Willow saws.

You can buy new machines but the offerings tend to be quite lacklustre, if you're going to buy a cheap bandsaw you may as well buy one secondhand as it will typically be significantly cheaper. if I was in the market for a brand new saw I would be seriously considering the Hammer N2-35 which looks like a very good value solid machine at £1054 inc VAT, but you do have to buy the stand separately for another £166.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 22 Mar 2022, 07:52

What can be done on an Inca 260 , with care and a new blade.

A97FCE11-6822-4F9F-B256-69A02A02154D.jpeg
(544.5 KiB)

Without going out to the workshop to measure I am not sure of it’s max ripping capacity, Rob?

This was my first and only bandsaw. I did not realise that it was back to front until Ian at Tuffsaws suggested he turned the blade over before shipping.
I have had to replace a couple of the roller bearing blade guides but they are cheap and easy to fit.

Has done me proud.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Mar 2022, 08:02

Andyp wrote:
Without going out to the workshop to measure I am not sure of it’s max ripping capacity, Rob?

Has done me proud.

From memory Andy, I think again about 150mm, maybe a shade less. It was (and still is) a really good bandsaw and they rarely it would appear, come up for sale on the second hand market and when they do it's 'arm biting off' territory :lol:

Rob Ingham used to use one of these in his 'shop as well - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 22 Mar 2022, 20:18

Andyp wrote:What can be done on an Inca 260 , with care and a new blade.

A97FCE11-6822-4F9F-B256-69A02A02154D.jpeg

This was my first and only bandsaw. I did not realise that it was back to front until Ian at Tuffsaws suggested he turned the blade over before shipping.
I have had to replace a couple of the roller bearing blade guides but they are cheap and easy to fit.

Has done me proud.

I usually get my firewood pre-cut :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby droogs » 22 Mar 2022, 21:23

I've used my Basa 1 to make a 23' x 7' x 26" Dressing table wardrobe thingy in the Austrian Beidermeyer style, including making the bow chested drawer fronts
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Andy Kev. » 23 Mar 2022, 10:07

droogs wrote:I've used my Basa 1 to make a 23' x 7' x 26" Dressing table wardrobe thingy in the Austrian Beidermeyer style, including making the bow chested drawer fronts

A 23 foot long piece of furniture!

Now that is impressive.
Andy Kev.
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Mar 2022, 12:17

Andy Kev. wrote:
droogs wrote:I've used my Basa 1 to make a 23' x 7' x 26" Dressing table wardrobe thingy in the Austrian Beidermeyer style, including making the bow chested drawer fronts

A 23 foot long piece of furniture!

Now that is impressive.

That's a bit lightweight :lol: My first job as a pro' maker was an 8m long breakfast bar for the Pet Shop Boys - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 24 Mar 2022, 16:37

As I've been mentioned, :oops: I'll chip in.

Yes, 3" max capacity on my little Burgess, but up to 12" width, which I think is significant. For a really high proportion of the time that's more than enough and it's small enough to sit in the corner always ready for use. Accurate enough to cut joints, if I need to work quickly. It does get used a lot, for all sorts of little things.

If I was looking for a new equivalent I'd be tempted by the Aldi badged Scheppach which cuts deeper but has a few obvious compromises to keep the price down. It needs about the same floor or bench space but is taller, of course.

For proper, accurate resawing, if I ever need any, I have a shortlist of better equipped generous friends ;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby thetyreman » 27 Apr 2022, 12:27

the aldi/ferrex 10" bandsaw is surprisingly good for the money, has a 6" deep cutting depth and 550watt motor for £150, it's good enough for me anyway, I had to upgrade the tensioner on it but you'd have to pay significantly more for a higher cutting depth than that.
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Return to Machines & Power Toolery