It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:06

Desciions, decisions....

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Desciions, decisions....

Postby ScaredyCat » 21 Mar 2022, 11:32

Hi everyone,

So after a quite flrankly godawful year or two (which many of you have shared) I had a little good news. A local farmer had a small unit up for rent, so now I have a workshop! No more dragging stuf in and out of the house for me. Can't tell you how good it feels to get a proper space to work in.

I spent a couple of days paralysed with so much to do, I stalled but I cured that by doing a skip dive and recovering some cheap laminate flooing which I've layed over the carpet.

Anyway, on to my question. Now that I've moved from working in the garden to an enclosed space, my first bige purchase has been the Axminster AC153E but I didn't get the cartridge filter thing (couldn't afford it). I intend to get it eventually, but I'm a little torn between getting an air filter (eg record power AC400) first or getting that cartridge.

I'm leaning towards the air filter becuase I have other equipment, eg mitre saw that even with a vac attached like to spit sawdust into the air.

I can't really afford both at the same time. I wont be buying either until next month but I'm thinking that getting the air filter next month then the cartridge the month after. I have been using a Rutlands R8566 (tin can extractor) but it doesn't really have enough air flow for my table saw. The AC153E should cover my table saw planer/thicknesser too.

Can those of you with more experience give me your thoughts.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Re: Desciions, decisions....

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Mar 2022, 11:45

Big chips are not your real problem Andy. Very fine dust is. The absence of the cartridge filter means you are filtering out the less hazardous material and letting the almost invisible fine particles float in the air you breathe. Deal with that first.

Gravity deals with the heavier stuff to start with, so focus on that next. Buy a broom 8-)

In my experience, unless you have very significant and noisy throughput, the ceiling extractor filters are not super effective. I would tend to try to deal with most dust and waste as close to source as possible in the first instance.

I use a Jet cyclone system, with extraction outlets by every machine, and I get hardly any airborne dust. This separates fine dust into a bag and heavy stuff into a bin. For info, the dustbin sized bin can be full in about an hour if using the planer thicknesser - by far the biggest waste producer in most workshops. For my large belt sander I use a Startright triple filter system bought off eBay for £100 and that is brilliant and dealing with very fine dust too. It goes under a bench.

We now need workshop pictures.

Good luck. Adrian
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 21 Mar 2022, 12:52

its a shed on a farm..... open the doors! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I work in a garage with a roller door. I always work with the door open, which removes the very vast majority of fine dust. I do have an extractor system with a cyclone and bin for the bigger stuff as well though.

If the place is too cold to work with the doors open all the time, invest in one of those large chicken house fans and fit it low down in one wall and have it running when you are actually making fine dust, but then a flap across it to stop the cold air coming in when you arent.

Thats a very simple, very cheap temporary solution until you can afford the whole HEPA thing.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 21 Mar 2022, 13:58

How about making an air filter I made mine years ago & it’s still going strong, I agree it’s better to control dust at source but sometimes that’s just not possible.
I put my filter build on an ill fated blog if you’re interested http://designerwood.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... ilter.html
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 21 Mar 2022, 15:24

The problem with air filters as opposed to a LEV is that the really bad fine dust is drawn past your nose to get to the ceiling filter.
If you cannot afford the canister for your extractor at the moment just set your extractor up outside and extract to the outside. I built my extractor a little shed to keep it dry and reduce the plume of dust. It works so well you will probably never buy a canister. The only problem is I forget to empty it!
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Mar 2022, 20:04

Peter's idea makes a lot of sense and keeps the air very clean. In summer.

I didn't do that because my workshop is cold enough in winter without me extracting the heat directly to outside with a 3hp suction fan 8-)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 22 Mar 2022, 00:20

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I'll be getting that canister first then.

I usually have the door wide open sunnybob, not only for the air but also for the view I have ( also, ssshh don't tell anyone, but the farmer's dogs occasionally visit me for pets and cuddles, which I find to be a huge bonus).

I did think of building an airfilter based on some of the ones I'd seen on youtube but I wasn't confident that I'd manage make it so that it would do the job properly.

Putting the extractor is a bit of a problem. There are a couple of other people working there and I don't think any of them would appreciate the dust flying around.

Power cable on the AC153 is stupidly short too.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Return to Machines & Power Toolery