It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 13:46

Dewalt DW733 thicknesser issues. Advice needed.

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Dewalt DW733 thicknesser issues. Advice needed.

Postby Reclaimer » 25 Apr 2022, 19:29

Hello to everyone after a very long absence!

I'm having some feed issues with a DW733, which is bothersome as it's brand new out of the box today.

It worked fine for the first few boards (oak 3-6" wide,) , making fairly light passess. Then the feed began failing to pull the boards through smoothly. The rollers are turning ok, the boards simply stop feeding and the rollers leave black marks on the wood.

I've tried cleaning the rollers and the feed tables even though they didn't seem dirty, but the problem persists. The blades are fine as it's not even done an hour's work. I'm baffled.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reclaimer
Seedling

Name:

Re: Dewalt DW733 thicknesser issues. Advice needed.

Postby Lons » 25 Apr 2022, 19:46

I have the same model and it's fine, apart from the screaming banshee noise. :shock:
The only thing that comes to mind is whether the rollers or drive mechanism are seized up.

DOH Just read again and you said the rollers are turning
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Stuart » 25 Apr 2022, 19:56

That sounds exactly like gunged up beds but you certainly wouldn’t expect that with a new machine.

I’d most definitely give the beds a good clean and wax before using them for the first time though.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 25 Apr 2022, 19:57

Try lubricating the bed with a bit of beeswax or something similar before anything else, tables where workpieces are fed over or through need constant lubrication to keep feeding easy, smooth and consistent.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Reclaimer » 25 Apr 2022, 20:40

Oops!
I completely neglected the necessity of waxing the tables!
I can only plead a combination of over-excitement at unboxing a new tool, and the fact that I'm very out of practice, this is my first project for a couple of years.

Thanks very much, I'll report back tomorrow :)
Reclaimer
Seedling

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 26 Apr 2022, 04:03

Almost guarantee Trevanion's right, it’s amazing the difference it can make, going from pushing like mad to easy peasy, I use a little WD40 on a rag but do be careful not to catch your hand on the blades under there. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby RogerS » 26 Apr 2022, 06:07

Cabinetman wrote:Almost guarantee Trevanion's right, it’s amazing the difference it can make, going from pushing like mad to easy peasy, I use a little WD40 on a rag but do be careful not to catch your hand on the blades under there. Ian

Doesn't WD40 screw up finishing the wood surface ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby clogs » 26 Apr 2022, 06:25

I have the DeWalt D27300 P/T....
never needed any LUBE.....esp as it can upset the finish....
mines done hundreds of feet of board....
Have noticed it feeds a bit on/off when planing rough sawn boards in the begining
and if u try and take near the limit depth of cut........
other than that no worries....average board width of 8-9".....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby Trevanion » 26 Apr 2022, 07:29

clogs wrote:I have the DeWalt D27300 P/T....
never needed any LUBE.....esp as it can upset the finish....
mines done hundreds of feet of board....
Have noticed it feeds a bit on/off when planing rough sawn boards in the begining
and if u try and take near the limit depth of cut........
other than that no worries....average board width of 8-9".....

That surprises me, pretty much all planers and thicknessers I've used have required some kind of bed lubrication to keep the workpieces going through otherwise the friction will simply resist the feeding forces to the point where nothing happens and you have to push really hard to feed it, a quick wipe with a waxy rag or even a quick spray of silicone spray on the table eliminates the problem.

I know people do rag on about the fact you shouldn't use silicones with wood because of the finishing, but I've personally never had any issues with adherence or fisheyes in the finish because of it. Generally, all finished surfaces get sanded after planing and prior to finishing so I assume any residue if any gets removed at this point.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 Apr 2022, 09:16

Reclaimer, cant help but good to see you back here. Wotcha gonna make with all that oak?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Reclaimer » 26 Apr 2022, 20:45

Andyp wrote:Reclaimer, cant help but good to see you back here. Wotcha gonna make with all that oak?

A truly awful (thankfully not my design) floating corner tv unit and shelf, using some knotty, split-infested French oak. It'll turn out ok ish provided I can keep wastage down to about 0.00003% :)

But thanks to everybody for pointing out the importance of wax. Feed was super smooth after a quick rub.
Reclaimer
Seedling

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 27 Apr 2022, 04:10

RogerS wrote:
Cabinetman wrote:Almost guarantee Trevanion's right, it’s amazing the difference it can make, going from pushing like mad to easy peasy, I use a little WD40 on a rag but do be careful not to catch your hand on the blades under there. Ian

Doesn't WD40 screw up finishing the wood surface ?

Never had a problem Roger, but then again I always hand plane surfaces after the planer and I also remove nearly all the WD40 I put on. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Return to Machines & Power Toolery