It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:38

Grinding that initial 30 degree

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Grinding that initial 30 degree

Postby RogerS » 17 Jun 2022, 17:48

My Worksharp 3000 offers preset angles 30/25/20 and I'm reasonably confident that the angles are spot-on. Trouble is that over time a lot of my chisels have lost all semblance of the correct angle having been hand sharpened on a diamond stone. In fact, inadvertently creating many an RB (a bevel of a certain distinction :eusa-whistle: ).

I would have used the Worksharp but, as you may know, trying to get replacement discs was nigh on impossible and in my true fashion I bodged things for as long as I could. So I decided to sort things out once and for all and came to the conclusion that the starting point was the ability to quickly restore the 30 degree basic angle.

So I bought a cheapie Axminster grinder. This one...

axminster bench grinder.png
(1.25 MiB)

and naively thought that if I fixed a small block of wood at the right angle then I'd rest the chisel on that and away I'd go. Bit like this

20220617_171517.jpg
(353.81 KiB)

I wish I knew why my photos are not behaving as they used to.

I put a chisel in the Worksharp to grind the makings of a reference angle and then stuck the wooden block down on the grinder rest and repeated the trial grind. You could immediately see that the two angles were way out. A moments thought suggests that the line of the grinder rest is not on a radius but offset. The rest is not adjustable anglewise. My reference has to be the Worksharp since all finer grades will be done on that so my question is this...

...is there an easy way to get the grind angle on the grinder the same as the Worksharp?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Grinding that initial 30 degree

Postby Lurker » 17 Jun 2022, 18:34

E3083D90-7DF2-4DEC-AE53-D3BB3BBC8FC4.jpeg
(250.69 KiB)
You are a£$€ about face :o

Here are mine, mainly used for turning chisels.
Chas is the bloke to talk to. Maybe he will post his version.
Attachments
07024DCD-E02D-48FC-913B-77D79A7CEEA2.jpeg
(266.85 KiB)
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 17 Jun 2022, 21:22

I've got a wooden thingy for my mounted belt sander. Does the same job but sideways.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 17 Jun 2022, 22:37

Yes don’t use it as you have it Roger, it could snatch the tool into the gap, instant ruinification of the tool at a minimum! Ian
Ps blued too many plane irons on that sort of wheel, I send mine away in batches of 3 or 4, relatively inexpensive, same place as does my circular saw blades etc, brilliant service but they do pass my door to pick up and drop off.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Jun 2022, 21:19

Cabinetman wrote:Yes don’t use it as you have it Roger, it could snatch the tool into the gap, instant ruinification of the tool at a minimum! Ian
Ps blued too many plane irons on that sort of wheel, I send mine away in batches of 3 or 4, relatively inexpensive, same place as does my circular saw blades etc, brilliant service but they do pass my door to pick up and drop off.

Yep, done the same thing. If you want to do it properly, get hold of a Tormek with a coarse diamond wheel; speak nicely to your bank manager though...spedniferous :shock: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 18 Jun 2022, 22:01

Woodbloke wrote:
Cabinetman wrote:Yes don’t use it as you have it Roger, it could snatch the tool into the gap, instant ruinification of the tool at a minimum! Ian

Yep, done the same thing. If you want to do it properly, get hold of a Tormek with a coarse diamond wheel; speak nicely to your bank manager though...spedniferous :shock: - Rob

Yeah...I tried that rabbit hole with the Scheppach equivalent
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 18 Jun 2022, 22:11

I bought one of these when they were on special offer - £100 off. :D
I’ve only sharpened turning tools on it so far but chisels should be easy enough.

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 19 Jun 2022, 09:29

RogerS wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

Yeah...I tried that rabbit hole with the Scheppach equivalent

Yebut as far as I'm aware, Scheppach don't do a coarse diamond grinding wheel, whereas Tormek do a range of three. An ordinary wheel (as supplied) on any water cooled grinder is, IMVHO, next to useless as they get gummed up too quickly and refuse to cut as well as going out of kilter if you touch it for too long with a turning gouge.
Fitting a coarse diamond wheel is a complete revelation and transforms the Tormek from 'so so' to sublime - Rob

Edit- it will even do Japanese chisels with a soft iron back. I know 'cos I asked the question :D
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Jun 2022, 14:35

Well...I should have waited until some of my other 'irons' came back to roost. Since I have (and like) the Worksharp, I did have an order out for some trial self-adhesive abrasive discs. They came yesterday and I tried out the 60 grit...brutal. But taking it gently, the WorkSharp 30 degree angle was quickly achieved.

So I've parked trying to fuss around with the grinder and may well put it up for sale.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to Machines & Power Toolery