It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:04

Some old equipment

Here's the place to talk about all your table saws, bandsaws, routers and dust extractors. In fact anything that makes noise and uses electrickery.

Some old equipment

Postby Phil » 07 Aug 2022, 10:27

Some old equipment

Friend has this equipment in a store on the farm. Been there for 15 years +. About maybe 30 years old. It belonged to and was used by his cousin who made all the furniture in his house, passed away and the machines were moved to the farm.

He has offered it to me for nothing. If I took it, it would mean having to get rid of one of our vehicles. :lol: :lol:
I already have a lathe, table saw, RAS, TP.

The machines are dirty but look in good nick and would require some TLC.
Apparently up on a shelf are all the bits and pieces that go with the combo machine.

1. There is a DeWalt thicknesser-planer.

2. Then the large unit is a ShopSmith multi-function machine.
It has a bandsaw on one end.
Circular saw other end.
A lathe somewhere in the middle.

There is a ‘dial’ which has on it “drum sand”, “disc sand”, “magna dado” see photo.

Question – has anyone come across a machine like this? What would they be worth? Worthwhile fixing?

I am only interested in the bandsaw, but then it would come without a motor or stand to sit on. (then I still would not know where to site it in the garage)

See photos below.

Phil

DeW_Thick-Planer 1.jpg
(41.7 KiB)

DeW_Thick-Planer 2.jpg
(31.31 KiB)

DeW_Thick-Planer 3.jpg
(35.23 KiB)

DeW_Thick-Planer 4.jpg
(36.78 KiB)

DeW_Thick-Planer 5.jpg
(29.5 KiB)

ShopSmith_Adjuster.jpg
(31.25 KiB)

ShopSmith_Bandsaw.jpg
(15.56 KiB)

ShopSmith_Motor.jpg
(31.67 KiB)

ShopSmithSaw.jpg
(35.72 KiB)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Some old equipment

Postby 9fingers » 07 Aug 2022, 11:07

Shop smith is a dated US brand. Like a lot of combis, I feel it does a lot but none of it very well. Might be a collectable/marketable but possibly not in RSA. Few if any spares to be had.

Dewalt P/T seen now and then quite often people search for knives to fit, so it is a bonus if it has some with enough meat to regrind.

Generally if I'm offered a job lot containing something of interest, I will take the lot, refurb and then choose what to use or sell on or weigh in. I feel guilty about just picking and choosing as what is left is even more difficult for a friend to shift.

Depends a bit if the friend needs the space and you are doing him a favour by shifting it or he thinks he is doing you a favour and the stuff can sit there for another decade or two.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Phil » 07 Aug 2022, 14:12

Bob its in a storeroom with the generator and bales of grass. Not a space shortage.

I think he wants to get rid of it and that I would take and use it.
I could fix it up and then use it at the farm which is not really convenient.
Maybe go spend a day there assemble it and do some cleaning and list it on Gumtree or one of those sites.
It is certainly in better condition than the old Rockwell scroll saw that I fixed up and used for a number of years.
(this is my bee hive friend)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 07 Aug 2022, 16:12

I believe they actually still make the Shopsmith in the US where it has a bit of a cult following, and parts are abundant for it there. They were sold here under the Multico brand, I think I may even have some sales literature for it somewhere. No real idea of the value of it (especially in SA, here I would hazard a guess of the value being about £100-200) they are very much a hobbyist level machine similar to to the more common here Myford ML8, it can get a lot done with the various attachments but it doesn’t really excel at anything because it’s a combination machine and it makes a lot of compromises.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby clogs » 07 Aug 2022, 16:44

the planer is a dream machine for a small ish jobs/place...it's bomb proof......
I still have my ELU 30 plus years on and reluctent to sell it at the mo.....
mine like most can be 240v or 440v....
loads'a spares around, blades no probs....
As for Shop Smith I bought a new one (mk7 I think) back from the States 40 odd years ago.......
nothing like it available here at the time.....easy to take apart for transport and nothing individualy to heavy except the jointer which was cast iron.....
I was a self employed shop and marine fitter and mine cope'd pretty well with everything I threw at it....
did loads'a work on the Bridgewater and Cheshire Ring canal tow pathes with it....
BUT u have to be very organised in tasks, although to swop from one mode to another was just 1 allen key away....I had the jointer as well as the bandsaw.....
Would I recomend one for the DIY'ER....with no room....definitely....
like the advert says it takes the same amount of room as a bycycle....
They are still made I believe, was looking to import a few used models here as they would sell well....

MIne was taken to S Africa 30 years ago (Krugersdorp) where it and all my Wadkin machines were stolen....
inc 2 Harleys and a fantastic mechanics Snap On tool kit....
good luck...
oh well.....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 08 Aug 2022, 11:52

clogs wrote:MIne was taken to S Africa 30 years ago (Krugersdorp) where it and all my Wadkin machines were stolen....
inc 2 Harleys and a fantastic mechanics Snap On tool kit....
good luck...
oh well.....

Thats a real bummer. 30 years later and the same thing would happen, just with violence thrown in.

Phil
Old Oak

Return to Machines & Power Toolery