It is currently 12 May 2021, 08:14

Asking for a friend.....

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Re: Asking for a friend.....

Postby Lurker » 24 Apr 2021, 09:14

Regarding newel caps and chucks.
If you can find a tap to thread a hole in your wood (this would be a tap for metal) you can get on without a chuck and the turning would actually be a lot easier than with a chuck.
I bought a one inch / 8 treads per inch tap for my lathe and it’s been very useful over the years.

You need to identify the drive thread for your machine, you will need to find this for any chuck purposes anyway.
Lurker
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 24 Apr 2021, 09:19

Thanks Lurker. Interesting thought. That would never have occured to me.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tiresias » 24 Apr 2021, 09:21

Woodbloke wrote:
Mike G wrote:He's done a little turning over the years, and knows one or two turners who should be able to point him in the right direction, Andy. One of his early spindles went flying over his shoulder and into low earth orbit, so he's probably learnt to check for flaws before putting the wood onto a lathe. Apparently.

...in which case I sincerely hope your friend has invested in a decent face shield. Anything thrown off will be travelling towards your friend's visage at an uncomfortably high velocity and I'm sure he wouldn't want his mug in the way when it departs company with the lathe - Rob

I believe his friend is a wicketkeeper. Used to having things propelled at high velocity towards their faces. (Which generally aren't much to write home about either. And, as a class, have a habit of dropping catches off my bowling. But I'm not bitter... Oh no, not at all...)
Tiresias
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Phil » 26 Apr 2021, 12:41

Your friend has a very nice young lady living with him.

Maybe she will sponsor him a nice shiny new Nova chuck.

https://www.teknatool.com/product-category/chucks/
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Previous

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)