It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:29

Asking for a friend.....first turnings

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Re: Asking for a friend.....

Postby Lurker » 24 Apr 2021, 09:14

Regarding newel caps and chucks.
If you can find a tap to thread a hole in your wood (this would be a tap for metal) you can get on without a chuck and the turning would actually be a lot easier than with a chuck.
I bought a one inch / 8 treads per inch tap for my lathe and it’s been very useful over the years.

You need to identify the drive thread for your machine, you will need to find this for any chuck purposes anyway.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 24 Apr 2021, 09:19

Thanks Lurker. Interesting thought. That would never have occured to me.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Tiresias » 24 Apr 2021, 09:21

Woodbloke wrote:
Mike G wrote:He's done a little turning over the years, and knows one or two turners who should be able to point him in the right direction, Andy. One of his early spindles went flying over his shoulder and into low earth orbit, so he's probably learnt to check for flaws before putting the wood onto a lathe. Apparently.

...in which case I sincerely hope your friend has invested in a decent face shield. Anything thrown off will be travelling towards your friend's visage at an uncomfortably high velocity and I'm sure he wouldn't want his mug in the way when it departs company with the lathe - Rob

I believe his friend is a wicketkeeper. Used to having things propelled at high velocity towards their faces. (Which generally aren't much to write home about either. And, as a class, have a habit of dropping catches off my bowling. But I'm not bitter... Oh no, not at all...)
Tiresias
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 26 Apr 2021, 12:41

Your friend has a very nice young lady living with him.

Maybe she will sponsor him a nice shiny new Nova chuck.

https://www.teknatool.com/product-category/chucks/
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Mike G » 18 Nov 2021, 11:30

I thought I'd help my friend with a bench-thing to mount his new lathe on. Could you spinney guys give me an idea of the height yours is mounted at, please.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 18 Nov 2021, 11:47

It all depends if your friend is a tall ex cricketer or a short stocky prop forward Mike, my guess is the former. :lol: :lol:
It's down to personal preference and maybe make it slightly high as you can always cut bits off the legs as he finds his preference, mine is centres just above elbow height.
If you're lucky he'll be the same height as you so you can borrow it off him. ;) 8-)
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 18 Nov 2021, 13:15

Normal guesstimate for machines you stand at to operate is the try to have forearms horizontal for comfort

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby Andyp » 18 Nov 2021, 14:02

Mike,
I am 6’2”. My record lathe is fixed on top of my mobile (locking castors) router table. Height of table 89cm. The chuck centre is 35 cm from the table.
Comfortable for me. My elbows, arms by my side, are at 135cms.

I think you might need a little trial and error to find what is most comfortable for your friend.

AC342787-2CBA-4EB5-83A7-BD517FDE2677.jpeg
(229.31 KiB)

HTH
Last edited by Andyp on 18 Nov 2021, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: More infor
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 18 Nov 2021, 14:12

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to know.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby CHJ » 18 Nov 2021, 15:56

I've always been more comfortable with the lathe centre about 80mm above elbow height (EH being the often quoted norm).
As age increases I find an even higher position would not be excessive for improved back comfort over longer sessions, especially when viewing and dealing with deep internals**, does mean a personal approach to some tool presentation that may be at odds with the 'norm' but I'm happy with the results.

** Swivel head a boon in this respect.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Nov 2021, 16:38

Andyp wrote:Mike,
I am 6’2”. My record lathe is fixed on top of my mobile (locking castors) router table. Height of table 89cm. The chuck centre is 35 cm from the table.
Comfortable for me. My elbows, arms by my side, are at 135cms.

I think you might need a little trial and error to find what is most comfortable for your friend.

AC342787-2CBA-4EB5-83A7-BD517FDE2677.jpeg

HTH

That very lathe was previously in a friend's workshop in Wilton :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 18 Nov 2021, 16:48

Under a dust sheet just to the left of the lathe is a bandsaw from the same friend's workshop.
I wonder if that friend is planning any future machine upgrades? I think his drum sander must be getting on a bit by now. :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 18 Nov 2021, 16:54

Andyp wrote:Under a dust sheet just to the left of the lathe is a bandsaw from the same friend's workshop.
I wonder if that friend is planning any future machine upgrades? I think his drum sander must be getting on a bit by now. :D

Unfortunately Andy, my friend isn't planning any new machine purchases though of late I have been thinking about and possibly drooling over one of these from 'the old firm' :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 18 Nov 2021, 19:21

CHJ wrote:I've always been more comfortable with the lathe centre about 80mm above elbow height (EH being the often quoted norm).

Not that I've ever used a wood lathe, but I would imagine lathe centre on elbow height would be far too low.

I set my metal lathe up with the cross-slide hand-wheel at elbow height (which, as I'm 1.98 m / 6'6" tall, means I needed some very long legs under it!). My understanding of wood turning is that the handle of the tool is usually a fair way below the centre height - the tool is angled up rather than horizontal (although I may well be wrong); I would expect the bit of the tool you hold in your right hand would be at about elbow height and hence the lathe centre would be higher.

Which is a very long way of saying, "I agree with you".
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Stargazer » 18 Nov 2021, 19:32

Mike,

Just been out and checked, the lathe centre axis is 39inches above floor level, I am about 5'10" and my elbow is 40" above floor level. Works for me who mostly does spindle turning (chair legs etc).

Ian
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby AJB Temple » 18 Nov 2021, 19:44

Mike. If you think you might do a lot of turning, it is possibly worth making the bench height adjustable by about 6" or so. I don't do much turning, but I find with small stuff I don't mind leaning over the lathe, but for repetitive bigger things I want to stand up straight, else it gives my back gyp.

Mine is floor mounted and not adjustable (you've seen it) but if built a lathe bench I would make it height adjustable and also put an extraction chute below and adjustable extraction hood above. And a good anglepoise. (In fact I have cobbled together exactly that for extraction as lathes produce a lot of waste, especially if converting from rough stock).

Edit - when I said "you" I meant your friend obviously, who may need to take care of his back.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby CHJ » 19 Nov 2021, 14:07

AJB Temple wrote:Mike. If you think you might do a lot of turning, it is possibly worth making the bench height adjustable by about 6" or so. I don't do much turning, but I find with small stuff I don't mind leaning over the lathe, but for repetitive bigger things I want to stand up straight, else it gives my back gyp.
... .

:text-+1:
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Mike G » 19 Nov 2021, 15:41

Thanks guys. Is there any reason a lathe bench can't go hard up against a wall?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 19 Nov 2021, 15:51

Nope. Mine is almost against a wall. As long as you have clearance for the inevitable bowls.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Deejay » 19 Nov 2021, 16:14

But, if the headstock rotates, make sure that nothing fouls the wall.

Cheers

Dave
Deejay
Sapling

Name: Dave

Postby DaveL » 19 Nov 2021, 17:44

Where does the motor need to be and is there a lay shaft needed to give appropriate speeds?
You may need space for that lot to swing a bit for tensioning the belts.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 19 Nov 2021, 17:47

DaveL wrote:Where does the motor need to be and is there a lay shaft needed to give appropriate speeds?
You may need space for that lot to swing a bit for tensioning the belts.

You also dont want the lathe too far back from the front of the bench so that might be more of a consideration as to front-back positioning on the bench.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby Dalboy » 20 Nov 2021, 12:09

Mike G wrote:Thanks guys. Is there any reason a lathe bench can't go hard up against a wall?

Mine is on a bench that is hard up against a wall as there is enough room to swing the head if needed and also I am able to turn a bowl to it's largest capacity over the bed any larger I would need to swing the head. This solves two things one being it prevents all the shaving from disappearing down the back and secondly I don't have too much room to be able to have a lathe sticking out into the workshop even if I now have a larger one

Oops wrong lathe
99.jpeg
(170.07 KiB)

try the one at the end

999.jpeg
(229.99 KiB)

I now do not use the phone for pictures for this very reason
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Asking for a friend.....problems

Postby Mike G » 12 Dec 2021, 16:33

OK, this has puzzled me all along, and in the first 5 minutes of the first attempted turning, it came home to roost. This lathe has a dead centre at the tailstock. So the wood has to spin on the fixed metal cone:

Well, it's obvious that things are going to get a bit warm as a result. So I had to turn the lathe off when the wood started smoking:

How the hell is that ever going to be any different? Stand by with the fire extinguisher.....

At the other end, the headstock drive thingy looks like this:

It just dug a hole in the end-grain:

I took it off and filed it even sharper, and it just dug a deeper hole.

Surely it can't be that difficult to just spin a piece of wood? I just wanted to make a practice acorn, and haven't even got the workpiece round. At least my home-made tool rest worked perfectly:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Asking for a friend.....problems

Postby AndyT » 12 Dec 2021, 17:13

Before you start, make two shallow saw cuts at the head end, then knock the drive into the wood with a mallet.
At the tailstock, make a little hole with an awl for the dead centre to run in. Add a drop of oil if needed. Also, the point looks like it needs cleaning up.
Alternatively, invest in a live centre at the tail end with a ball bearing in. They are much better.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

PreviousNext

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)