It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:34

Asking for a friend.....first turnings

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Re: Asking for a friend.....

Postby Stargazer » 16 Oct 2020, 12:09

Mike,
Does your friend need a workshop to house said turning apparatus as well?

Ian (who started off just turning a few chair legs!)

I didnt bother with all the chuck and accessories straight away because I was only interested in turning chair legs and spindles between centres.
Stargazer
New Shoots

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 16 Oct 2020, 12:11

There's plenty of room for a lathe, after a bit of a tidy-up.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Oct 2020, 13:32

I do remember some time ago when I purchased a small Record lathe, which subsequently made it's way to 'la belle France' curtesy of AndyP of this parish. At the time Mike made the comment that it would make a jolly fine 'boat anchor'
Pot. Kettle. Black :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 16 Oct 2020, 13:57

I'll pass that on to my friend, Rob. :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 16 Oct 2020, 14:01

I could not believe what I was reading in this thread.

Mike's "friend" looking for a lathe! :lol: :lol:

Here you go Mike, this will fit in with the style and ambience of all the other woodwork that your "friend" is doing.

pole_lathe_10_01_27hs.jpg
(41.15 KiB)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2020, 17:37

And that boat anchor would be just perfect for making chair spindles and tool handles for your friend

It was one of these

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/c ... 4nMVMqxWhA

Oh and having the motor under the bed hasn’t caused me any problems nor did Rob before me.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Oct 2020, 18:20

Andyp wrote:And that boat anchor would be just perfect for making chair spindles and tool handles for your friend

It was one of these

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/product/c ... 4nMVMqxWhA

Oh and having the motor under the bed hasn’t caused me any problems nor did Rob before me.

Agreed Andy, it's a decent little lathe - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2020, 18:50

I know your friend knows a woodturner quite close by but does he have the time to pop into a local woodturning club? A quick google should locate when in the area.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 16 Oct 2020, 18:57

I'm watching you Andy, very closely. :lol: :lol:

That's a very clear and obvious attempt to suck someone into something they've spent a lifetime resisting.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2020, 19:25

Yeah but just supposing your friend did not have the budget for a days course with a pro woodturner he could pop into a local club who I am sure would make him welcome and offer some test and try time on one, or more, of their lathes.

Years ago I approached a local club stand at a country craft fair, Tatton Park I think, who put me in touch with a member who was very happy to turn my 4” oak table legs to match some existing chairs just for the challenge. I eventually persuaded him to accept payment.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 23 Apr 2021, 19:41

Shortly after I posted this thread, Harv-53 of this parish contacted me privately to offer me a lathe. Then lockdown happened. Today, I went to collect it. So first and foremost, a huge thanks to Harvey for his incredibly generous gesture. He gave my friend the lathe gratis, which was fantastic. Nice guy, too, with a huge amount of work on at the moment, changing the shape of the hill he lives on.

Anyway, the lathe is a Coronet. I think it is a No. 1. It could be a 0, though. It was so heavy we lifted it into the back of my car with a digger. When I got it home, I had to take it apart in the car because there was no other way of getting it out again. It's been stored for 10 or 15 years, so needs a bit of a tidy-up, meaning it had to come apart in any case. Here it is in the workshop, before I begin the clean-up:

Now, where's Wallace when you need him?

I made something of a start. Here's a before and after of the handle which tightens up (in theory) the motor mount to properly tension the belt:

I have one or two issues. Firstly, the belt-tensioner I mentioned. This one:

That thread just had a nut on the end, uncaptured. This meant that when you turned the locking handle, nothing happened. There's no tapered washer, or taper to the casting, so I think it must rely on the nut to tighten, but the nut doesn't make contact with the casting. I have found a compatible but over-sized nut, which I intend to grind and file tomorrow such that it is captured by the casting......but the casting isn't flat anyway, so I am curious as to how this is really meant to work.

The only other issue I have is with the tailstock, which is seized solid. Could anyone confirm, please, that you are supposed to turn the wheel and the spindle is supposed to retract or advance. Could you also confirm that it is an orthodox rather than left handed thread. Despite soaking it in WD40 it refuses to budge, so unless it starts co-operating tomorrow it may have to go off and have some heat applied.

I'll post some images post-restoration when it set up in my friends workshop.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 23 Apr 2021, 20:00

Oh, and I've no doubt this has been asked a thousand times.....what chuck do I need?

Sorry. My friend. What chuck does my friend need.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 23 Apr 2021, 21:06

I'm with Phil. Avoid motors. Then you can make your own lathe out of scrapwood. It only needs two centres and a rest held together fairly rigidly. And a length of cord. And a lot of practice.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby novocaine » 23 Apr 2021, 21:25

It looks like the nut has rubbed on the web. Im guessing it never eeds more than a 1/4 turn of the handle to lock and unlock.

Tell your friend he needs a Charles not a chuck, standards really shouldn't slip.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Lons » 23 Apr 2021, 21:34

Mike G wrote:Oh, and I've no doubt this has been asked a thousand times.....what chuck do I need?

Sorry. My friend. What chuck does my friend need.

You're a very good friend to your friend seeing all the effort you've gone to collect and service that fine lathe for him, I hope he buys you multiple pints in appreciation Mike. ;)

I'd have to check but the spindle thread should be the common Record 3/4 x 16TPI size and there are plenty of chucks and accessories available for that, you need to check whether MT 1 or 2 however if it's just spindle work (at the minute) you don't need a chuck assuming the standard pronged drive is with the machine.

You err... he can get away with a 3/4 or 1" roughing gouge, a skew, 1/2" spindle gouge and a parting tool. I wouldn't use scrapers on spindles but many do, you'll also need some callipers.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 23 Apr 2021, 22:20

The chuck (or faceplate) would be for newel caps.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Apr 2021, 22:52

As you once mentioned about my little Record lathe (now owned by AndyP) some years ago, that Coronet's going to make a fantastic boat anchor :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 23 Apr 2021, 23:15

Mike G wrote:The chuck (or faceplate) would be for newel caps.

You need a scroll chuck Mike, record sell an SC3 and SC4, I have the SC3 fitted to a little Jet lathe thogh a different spindle size and would certainly be big enough for newel caps or small bowls, you can usually get them new for not much over £100 but often come up s/h. There are a number of other makes and you can usually get adapters to make them fit your lathe, Axminster make their own version at £125 ish, if you're in no hurry just keep you eyes open on fleebay. Same for faceplates as long as the correct thread.

Maybe you should pass that info on to your friend. :)

EDIT: This type but double check your spindle size.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363369322107 ... Swlk5ggTIB
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby tracerman » 24 Apr 2021, 00:09

Thanks Rod - of course I have my Myford ML8 in kit form at present , everythings there plus a four jaw chuck and all my chisels/gouges etc . Its an ideal project for someone . Just saying .
Steve
PM for more info
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Mike G » 24 Apr 2021, 07:17

Lons wrote:
Mike G wrote:The chuck (or faceplate) would be for newel caps.

You need a scroll chuck Mike, record sell an SC3 and SC4, I have the SC3 fitted to a little Jet lathe thogh a different spindle size and would certainly be big enough for newel caps or small bowls, you can usually get them new for not much over £100 but often come up s/h. There are a number of other makes and you can usually get adapters to make them fit your lathe, Axminster make their own version at £125 ish, if you're in no hurry just keep you eyes open on fleebay. Same for faceplates as long as the correct thread.

Maybe you should pass that info on to your friend. :)

EDIT: This type but double check your spindle size.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363369322107 ... Swlk5ggTIB

Thanks Bob. Useful information.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 24 Apr 2021, 07:24

Woodbloke wrote:As you once mentioned about my little Record lathe (now owned by AndyP) some years ago, that Coronet's going to make a fantastic boat anchor :lol: :lol: - Rob

:lol: :lol: I've got to build the boat first!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Apr 2021, 07:28

Glad your friend got sorted Mike.

Does your friend have a few lessons planned to get the hang of the basics? Would be well worth it IMHO.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 24 Apr 2021, 07:34

He's done a little turning over the years, and knows one or two turners who should be able to point him in the right direction, Andy. One of his early spindles went flying over his shoulder and into low earth orbit, so he's probably learnt to check for flaws before putting the wood onto a lathe. Apparently.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 24 Apr 2021, 07:44

Mike G wrote:
DaveL wrote:Well there are two ways to do this:

1 You know where my Workshop is, drive over and use my lathe.

2 Do some drawings of what needs turning, sort out some wood and drop them off and I will turn them. Hopefully the time frame is not to short.

Ten chairs, Dave, each with 2 turned legs, 2 spindles, 1 stretcher and 2 turned ears.....that's 70 turnings.

A very well-known craftsman and provider of woodworking courses once told me that whenever he got a commission for a dining table and chairs, he'd outsource the chairs because getting all those legs to look identical ...........
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Apr 2021, 08:05

Mike G wrote:He's done a little turning over the years, and knows one or two turners who should be able to point him in the right direction, Andy. One of his early spindles went flying over his shoulder and into low earth orbit, so he's probably learnt to check for flaws before putting the wood onto a lathe. Apparently.

...in which case I sincerely hope your friend has invested in a decent face shield. Anything thrown off will be travelling towards your friend's visage at an uncomfortably high velocity and I'm sure he wouldn't want his mug in the way when it departs company with the lathe - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)