It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 22:17

A small commission

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

A small commission

Postby RogerS » 12 Jan 2021, 13:10

Are these something that anyone would like to make for us as a commission ? The site where we saw them are out of stock with no known replacement date - if ever. I know one can get similar but with a metal disc but that's not what we're after.

Ideally we'd like 4.

TIA

beehive knob 1.png
(2.59 MiB)

beehive knob 2.png
(75.19 KiB)
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: A small commission

Postby Mike G » 12 Jan 2021, 13:12

I'll happily supply bog oak for those little bits, FOC, to whoever volunteers to do the turning. Unless of course you already have the wood sorted, Bob.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Jan 2021, 13:14

Mike G wrote:I'll happily supply bog oak for those little bits, FOC, to whoever volunteers to do the turning. Unless of course you already have the wood sorted, Bob.

That's very kind of you, Mike. I've not sorted out the wood.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 12 Jan 2021, 13:54

If someone could just ping me a message when they volunteer to do this, as a reminder.........
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Jan 2021, 15:19

Mike G wrote:I'll happily supply bog oak for those little bits, FOC, to whoever volunteers to do the turning. Unless of course you already have the wood sorted, Bob.

Rog's customer spec requires Ebony Mike. Bog Oak's obviously the same colour, but would BO suffice...different timber, init? :D
Edit - those tiny detail 'beads' might be tricky to turn in Oak; much easier in close grained Ebony - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby DaveL » 12 Jan 2021, 15:21

Well if no-one else puts their hand up, I will have a go. One thing, I have never turned bog oak so am unsure how it goes on the lathe. Also do you want a threaded insert or just tap the wood?
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Jan 2021, 15:26

DaveL wrote:Well if no-one else puts their hand up, I will have a go. One thing, I have never turned bog oak so am unsure how it goes on the lathe. Also do you want a threaded insert or just tap the wood?

It turns well Dave, but it's as hard as Hades and probably better to scrape rather than cut. I've just made a little knob for the door of my longcase clock in the stuff and it responded well to detailed refinement with a scraper - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Jan 2021, 15:45

Ah this is sounding to be quite a lot of work. :(
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Jan 2021, 17:31

RogerS wrote:Ah this is sounding to be quite a lot of work. :(

Turning the knob itself isn't but the tiny detail 'beads' would be quite tricky I think Roger. Derek may be along later to offer another opinion - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby StevieB » 13 Jan 2021, 10:25

There are other sources to purchase though, although they may not meet your specific requirements in terms of shape/size:

https://theperiodironmonger.co.uk/produ ... board-knob
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 13 Jan 2021, 10:34

I know ebony (as per picture) is not bog oak, but I have tried turning ebony and found it very difficult. I was trying to make violin tuning pegs and found the wood created a remarkable haze of ultra fine dust. Will be interested to see the finished product.

(Should add the I'm an inexperienced turner, and only have a Record lathe and quite basic tools.)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2021, 13:54

StevieB wrote:There are other sources to purchase though, although they may not meet your specific requirements in terms of shape/size:

Thanks Steve but they're out of stock. Apparently the uncertainty around Covid has put a halt on the managed 'harvesting' of ebony.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 13 Jan 2021, 14:15

556-1_750.jpg
(18.21 KiB)

Roger, just an idea. It is possible to buy African Blackwood blanks for turning clarinet bells. If you can't lay your hands on ebony of suitable size, these may be ideal for turning knobs. Various places sell them for musical instrument makers. Charnwood also sell them for about a fiver each. They have to have pretty perfect grain for musical instruments.

Adrian
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2021, 15:57

Thanks Adrian. I'll give that some thought. It's great that so many people on here have the knowledge and experience to come at things from different perspectives.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby StevieB » 13 Jan 2021, 16:26

RogerS wrote:
StevieB wrote:There are other sources to purchase though, although they may not meet your specific requirements in terms of shape/size:

Thanks Steve but they're out of stock. Apparently the uncertainty around Covid has put a halt on the managed 'harvesting' of ebony.

How odd - it said in stock and dispatch in 1-2 days this morning. Perhaps you have started a trend ;)
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2021, 17:09

StevieB wrote:
RogerS wrote:

How odd - it said in stock and dispatch in 1-2 days this morning. Perhaps you have started a trend ;)

My wife emailed them yesterday and had a fulsome reply !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Peri » 13 Jan 2021, 17:23

I can put a piece into one of the cnc lathes at work (when we're allowed back) - we normally do metals, but I have turned a bit of oak and meranti on them in the past. The profile is dead easy to do, cant promise what the finish would be like though.

Shame anodized aluminium wouldn't work :D :D
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby DaveL » 13 Jan 2021, 17:35

Peri wrote:I can put a piece into one of the cnc lathes at work (when we're allowed back) - we normally do metals, but I have turned a bit of oak and meranti on them in the past. The profile is dead easy to do, cant promise what the finish would be like though.

Shame anodized aluminium wouldn't work :D :D
Well that would give a matching set, if I turn them there will differences as it would be by hand.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Peri » 13 Jan 2021, 22:12

Oh yes, they would all be identical, that's for sure :)

Big problem is, at the moment, I'm pencilled in to return to work sometime around mid Feb, barring any other covid related isolations,
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2021, 23:22

Peri wrote:Oh yes, they would all be identical, that's for sure :)

Big problem is, at the moment, I'm pencilled in to return to work sometime around mid Feb, barring any other covid related isolations,

So...plenty of time then :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Peri » 14 Jan 2021, 00:16

If you are happy to wait, I'm more than happy to give it a go. Little jobs like this are lovely to do - it means I'm learning something!

Edit - I can try on some 'normal' wood, but for the finished article you'd need to supply the material.

If anyone else can undertake it please feel free to jump in :)
Peri
Sapling

Postby Lons » 14 Jan 2021, 12:02

Does it HAVE to be ebony Roger? There are several woods with very little grain that can be dyed almost black, holly, boxwood, lime, even sycamore at a push.
I could turn them but like others say you would be unlikely to get a matching set. :eusa-doh: Not sure about getting the brass bolts though inserts for the handles are easily available.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Woodster » 14 Jan 2021, 12:20

What about Black Nylon?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 14 Jan 2021, 12:30

The ideal tools for turning these are something like the vortex tool of Cindy Drozda as it can make beads of this size a little easier to make or even a small skew chisel.
As already stated African black wood is the best option followed by a close grain wood dyed, especially if wood is required. Other than that resin could be used.
They should not be too difficult to turn as it is a simple design. When I do multiples I always allow extra so that you can match the best ones for the job in hand
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 14 Jan 2021, 12:34

Made thirty odd of these donkeys years ago for JonnyD in Blackwood which turned nicely.

Photo pinched from his Instagram feed

B79194A3-8546-4D32-9FBC-37CC192F2CE6.jpeg
(716.7 KiB)

Bog oak might be a bit open grained for knobs, dunno, it turns nicely when I’ve made pens from it.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Next

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)