It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:36

Splits

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Splits

Postby Chris152 » 27 May 2021, 11:37

I like the way wood moves and splits, so I'm doing some pieces that play with that and ways of controlling it (or not) in a decorative way. Not to everyone's taste, I know... :-)
_MG_0283.jpg
(191.28 KiB)

Apple, beeswax and silver-coated copper wire
_MG_0314.jpg
(60.73 KiB)

Silver birch, silver/ copper wire
_MG_0319.jpg
(126.35 KiB)

Silver birch, aluminium wire
_MG_0327.jpg
(110.81 KiB)

_MG_0329.jpg
(172.16 KiB)

Birch, string, beech insert

They all had to spend some time in the oven to get them moving.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Re: Splits

Postby Lurker » 27 May 2021, 12:54

You are correct........ it’s not to everyone’s taste. ;)
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 27 May 2021, 13:07

I like those. Different.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby novocaine » 27 May 2021, 13:13

I like the idea and you've done a good job of it.

The twists give me nightmares. only because I've got so many holes in the ends of my thumbs from locking wire that's been twisted like that and left. :lol:

have you thought about trying something that looks like a staple? so the back end wraps back itself.
or how about peaning the ends over to form a rivet?
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby AJB Temple » 27 May 2021, 13:16

Interesting indeed. I remember seeing some wooden chalice cups in a museum in Peru that used gold wire to hold them together. Gaps were filled with wax. Had forgotten it but your pictures reminded me.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 May 2021, 13:23

I'm not a big fan of turned bowls normally, but these add a little something which appeals to me. I'd perhaps quibble about the choice of silver wire.... I remember going on a tour of St Paul's cathedral in the 70s and being shown a wire surrounding the dome base, hidden in a groove in the stonework. Well, this very much reminds me of that, and the sound engineering principles involved.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 27 May 2021, 15:28

I really like the string and wedges in particular.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 28 May 2021, 08:49

Thanks for all the comments.
Lurker - indeed! :-)
Dave - I went online looking for that kind of staple you get on really big boxes, didn't find any and thought about making some up from wire but what I found was in large quantities, and at the mo I'm just trying things so didn't want to spend too much on any single idea. Same with square section wire, which I think could look good but quantity is the issue. I'll find some I'm sure. The problem with the peening idea (I had to search 'peening') is I don't know how to maintain tension on the wire and finish the second end (and I don't really know how to peen anyway, but guess that'd be something I can read about?). I also thought about solder, but not sure how strong that'd be.

Adrian - I searched for those cups, but found pics of ones with no repairs only. But it definitely interests me, I've been looking at similar repairs in Japanese culture (kintsugi and wabi-sabi), which really interests me. The repair becomes as much part of the piece as the original form, maybe more significant.

Mike - yes, the silver wire was pinched from my daughter's jewellery-making stuff, she wasn't so convinced, either! I think I'll get some stainless wire for later, I don't really like the aluminium so much. Again, I did a quick search for the wire in St Paul's but couldn't find it. I'd imagine the weak link in the wire I'm using is the joins I'm making but again, these are just trying out ideas.

And Nick - I think I like the string/ wedge most - the band of silver wire is closer to traditional decoration on a bowl, but the wedge might have more options to explore. We'll see, I'll post more here as I do them.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 28 May 2021, 09:07

with very little work you can turn the copper wire in to a square section (think hammer). it will most likely lose the plating but I reckon copper could be pretty nice (and you can get that really easily by stripping a few bits of twin and earth).
peening the ends is pretty easy, you are basically just hitting it with a hammer. you put the other side on a solid surface while you are doing it and use (for this work) a ball peen hammer. I'd be tempted to run a groove round the outside for the wire to sit in, but then it might look a bit contrived.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Chris152 » 29 May 2021, 08:34

novocaine wrote:with very little work you can turn the copper wire in to a square section (think hammer). it will most likely lose the plating but I reckon copper could be pretty nice (and you can get that really easily by stripping a few bits of twin and earth).
peening the ends is pretty easy, you are basically just hitting it with a hammer. you put the other side on a solid surface while you are doing it and use (for this work) a ball peen hammer. I'd be tempted to run a groove round the outside for the wire to sit in, but then it might look a bit contrived.

Thanks Dave - I'll have a go but have a feeling it may end up looking a bit 'rustic'. ha. The ones I posted above have a turned recess for the wire/ string to sit in, so no problem there. Off to search 'ball peen hammer'.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Postby droogs » 29 May 2021, 09:45

I'm with Nick M on the string and wedge design, that I really like. That idea would be superb for a soup/salad bowl set with the wedge adapted to include a handle for ambiance for alfresco dinning at a bbq in the garden
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Dalboy » 30 May 2021, 09:38

Another way to deal with splits is to fill them with a contrasting wood dust and CA glue it in. Also a butterfly across the split to make a feature of it.
I would think of a different way of hiding the ends of wires as even soft wire can hurt if you catch your hand on the end of it.
The small cracks are filled with a contrasting wood dust and the large one with two butterflies
DSCF0618 (800x585).jpg
(97.05 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Chris152 » 31 May 2021, 08:00

Nice bowl, Dalboy.
The bowls I'm making at the moment aren't for using, just for looking at so hopefully sharp bits won't be an issue.
Chris152
Sapling

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)