It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:28

Batch production

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Batch production

Postby CHJ » 30 Jul 2021, 23:06

Just persevere beyond the opening shot while the guy notices passing traffic.

When it's the finished article that counts not the value of your workshop kit.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Re: Batch production

Postby Trevanion » 31 Jul 2021, 00:25

Excellent video, it takes a couple of viewings to appreciate all the minor details of the process, I didn't realise at first that he was cutting the staves on the table saw with an angle as the bed is tilted, not the blade. Having a surface planer that's only operational by leaning over a spinning saw blade seems a bit mad though :lol:

There's a couple of other videos on that channel that are very fascinating, particularly the motor re-winding one outside in an incredibly arid environment (I think this must be Pakistan?) where I've always imagined it as a sort of laboratory conditions type of job.

Another one is the iron casting video:

They're wearing barely any clothes, sandals at best around molten metal at about 1200-degrees celsius! They're carrying the just-about-solid ring on a steel rod which if one person lifts ever so slightly higher than the other the ring could slide down the rod and give the person on the other end one hell of a burn. I think in this country you would have to wear a heat-resistant suit, gloves, and a darkened visor, absolute madness. Makes you really appreciate how horrid the working conditions these people from where our inexpensive goods come from are working in.

On the subject of batch production, I'll repost this little gem that AndyT shared the other day:

Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 31 Jul 2021, 06:36

Interesting. In one way, it's like time travel - videos such as these show working conditions and practices which we had in the UK in the industrial Revolution. Now we hide the health hazards in poor countries and enjoy buying cheap stuff.

They are also something of a corrective to some of the more extreme statements about the dignity of handwork, reminding us of the sheer tedium of hands-on batch production.

But then again, I always enjoy watching someone who has done the same thing so many times that there is no wasted motion in what they do, with every skilful action deeply learnt.

I don't think I have posted this one on here before, but I reckon it's a good time to watch this little gem from 1949 showing a very fit looking old gent in Sheffield making crucibles to melt steel in, as used in Trevanion's casting video. Lots of common ground there, including the use of the feet.

--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 31 Jul 2021, 07:27

Oh, I just loved the dust and extraction. Switch on a fan and blow out the door. :)

End result looked gorgeous, but what is a Hot Pot? Surely not for cooking,
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 31 Jul 2021, 08:01

Fascinating, all of them.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 31 Jul 2021, 09:17

Re the hot pot it just left me thinking all that effort on a pot that the base is simply held to the sides with PVA with cross grain construction butt joint, it’s not going to hold together in the long term. :eusa-think:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 31 Jul 2021, 10:46

Doug wrote:Re the hot pot it just left me thinking all that effort on a pot that the base is simply held to the sides with PVA with cross grain construction butt joint, it’s not going to hold together in the long term. :eusa-think:
I don't think it can be a problem in this instance, the setup of co-ordinated work stations has been going for some considerable time and what little observations I have been able to make in China, Malaysia and Moroccan 'village enterprise' workshops they only survive by making in-demand practical items.

Climate stability and local wood species play a big part in local design choices, ones that would most likely fail in our climate with native woods.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Lons » 31 Jul 2021, 11:02

Excellent I thoroughly enjoyed all of them, thanks for posting.
No wonder they didn't need gyms in those steel making days and the guy cutting staves on a circular saw made me cringe, especially as he looked away as he was doing it. :shock:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 31 Jul 2021, 11:10

What is the chucking scheme they are using?
Initially I thought it was simply friction drive as witnessed by the burn markings that are sanded off later but during the lid production, some light turning is done with the tailstock support removed so the work must stick on the driving pad to some extent.

At no time in the video did I see any adhesive being applied to the driven pad but I did note that a sharp tap with a hand is needed to release the workpiece.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby CHJ » 31 Jul 2021, 13:51

9fingers wrote:What is the chucking scheme they are using?
Initially I thought it was simply friction drive as witnessed by the burn markings that are sanded off later but during the lid production, some light turning is done with the tailstock support removed so the work must stick on the driving pad to some extent.

At no time in the video did I see any adhesive being applied to the driven pad but I did note that a sharp tap with a hand is needed to release the workpiece.

Bob
In this version you can see a dark block of pitch or resin that the guy applies via friction on the rotating chuck at 2.57.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls2OEFf38Nw
CHJ
Sapling

Postby 9fingers » 31 Jul 2021, 13:58

Thanks Chas

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby CHJ » 31 Jul 2021, 14:04

There a numerous vids showing similar production setups, this is another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfHdpZfMjT4

And another upmarket version with metal liners.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H38mNQyd5CI
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Trevanion » 31 Jul 2021, 16:19

AndyT wrote:I don't think I have posted this one on here before, but I reckon it's a good time to watch this little gem from 1949 showing a very fit looking old gent in Sheffield making crucibles to melt steel in, as used in Trevanion's casting video. Lots of common ground there, including the use of the feet.

Very interesting video, we should be glad that someone took the time to record all these what would've been thought of as mundane processes back then so that future generations could appreciate them. There are some great cinematic shots in there too, the shot of the fella after running the power hammer with the sweat running off the tip of his nose looks like something out of modern film, although I believe some very well-known directors came from British Pathe in the early days?

I wonder what they were wearing below the waist when handling the hot crucibles full of molten steel though, there's steam coming off their trousers so they must've been wetted down? The fella pouring the crucible must've had incredible core strength, they can't be that light to pour by yourself!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 31 Jul 2021, 16:25

Indeed. It's a good example to remind us that we shouldn't just think about skills all the time, but remember the importance of physical strength too, as also seen on some films about forging and chain making.
I did find myself wondering what sort of physique the crucible maker had when he started. I certainly wouldn't pick a fight with him!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 12 Oct 2021, 21:42

Do you think you work hard?

No hearing protection, no guarding on anything, red hot pieces of metal being deliberately thrown about! These videos are interesting, they're almost a view into how things were done here in Britain during the industrial revolution, pre-Health and Safety!
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AndyT » 12 Oct 2021, 22:42

Trevanion wrote:Do you think you work hard?

No hearing protection, no guarding on anything, red hot pieces of metal being deliberately thrown about! These videos are interesting, they're almost a view into how things were done here in Britain during the industrial revolution, pre-Health and Safety!

Indeed! I think you mean like this - Netherton, in the Black Country, early 20th century, possibly making some of the chain that was being reworked into axles.

(It goes on to making anchors, which must have been at the limit of what could be done by hand. ) It's hard to tell, but I think some of them are working in pairs, using hammers with two handles. There's certainly a lot of the same sort of practised team coordination as in the other videos. Probably similar sweat levels too.

--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby AndyT » 13 Oct 2021, 11:04

Or, indeed, this little film, from somewhere in the Black Country in 1972. 3 minutes 48, colour and sound.
https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-t ... hain-forge
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Gregmcateer » 05 Nov 2021, 16:53

That is quite remarkable!

Kinda makes us spoilt westerners complaining about chucks, variable speed, etc look a bit daft :D
Gregmcateer
Seedling

Name:

Postby CHJ » 10 Jan 2022, 17:57

Excuse me for dragging this older thread back up, but seeing how it morphed into other trades I thought folks might be interested in this.

Can’t imagine the strength and stamina of these workers.
Wonder how many current generation workers would even contemplate it, let alone be able to do it.

I can’t swing my 14LB sledge more than half a dozen times now, I’m not much better with my 7LB one.

Afraid the commentary is in German but the filming is good.

Making a grindstone in Chr. Hort's sandstone pit

Must have been a very nerve wracking time turning the large stone towards the end to finish to thickness and the painstaking final 'polishing' to size is amazing.

Thought the part-worked stones lying around Stanage Edge were something, the big ones here are in another league.
Last edited by CHJ on 10 Jan 2022, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby AndyT » 10 Jan 2022, 18:15

That's a fantastic watch, intelligible even if you don't speak German. No effort wasted. So much achieved by intelligent muscle power.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Trevanion » 10 Jan 2022, 21:50

CHJ wrote:Can’t imagine the strength and stamina of these workers.
Wonder how many current generation workers would even contemplate it, let alone be able to do it.

What a great video. What struck me is that there doesn't appear to be anyone there under the age of fifty at the very least working there, quite clearly very skilled men where each swing did its intention with no unnecessarily wasted energy.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 10 Jan 2022, 22:18

Trevanion wrote:.....What struck me is that there doesn't appear to be anyone there under the age of fifty at the very least working there,...

Was it a lack of interest in hard work, or was it lack of able bodied individuals due to conflicts during the skills acquiring timescale.
What also struck me was the stamina of some with the physique of someone with a penchant for a stein of beer.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Trevanion » 10 Jan 2022, 22:35

CHJ wrote:Was it a lack of interest in hard work, or was it lack of able bodied individuals due to conflicts during the skills acquiring timescale.
What also struck me was the stamina of some with the physique of someone with a penchant for a stein of beer.

That's a possibility, the video is dated 1971 but the footage seems much older than that.
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 10 Jan 2022, 22:44

Goodness me, that's a hard way to earn a crust. Our millstones are made in pieces, I think.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby CHJ » 10 Jan 2022, 23:32

Trevanion wrote:
CHJ wrote:Was it a lack of interest in hard work, or was it lack of able bodied individuals due to conflicts during the skills acquiring timescale.

That's a possibility, the video is dated 1971 but the footage seems much older than that.

Must watch it again, have a feeling something was said about mechanisation making them redundant in the 1930's or such like phrase.
CHJ
Sapling

Next

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)