It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:16

Home cured Beech

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Home cured Beech

Postby CHJ » 10 Oct 2021, 11:20

Looks interesting, been sat in the plot for a couple of years or so since removal from garden hedgerow, left to see what happened to it after planking the rest at the time.

Boss decided it needed to be shifted out of the way so salvaged four pieces approx. 230mm diam. so we will see what happens, hopefully it dries out without splitting and makes it into something round and usable in the coming months.

Beech.jpg
(102.9 KiB)
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Re: Home cured Beech

Postby Phil » 10 Oct 2021, 13:14

Nice grain, should get some good bowls.
Beech is such a nice timber to work with.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Dalboy » 11 Oct 2021, 08:04

They are going to produce some lovely pieces when turned Chas. I still have not turned anything yet as the new workshop is up and running but due to having some new windows installed the wife wants the house decorated.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 11 Oct 2021, 11:30

Yes, full of hope, looks like serendipity might have surfaced Derek.
The metre long section had been standing in a corner of the garden purely because of its size and weight due to fatigue at the time prepping and storing the rest of it when we removed the hedge, was surprised how thick some of the base bowls were in the 2.5 mtr. high hedge we had been trimming for the last 36 years.

Turning time has been very limited here as well, so many other projects in hand around the property, once you start maintenance tasks and structural changes the 'to do' list just seems to keep growing.

Not helped by the lack of enthusiasm of local tradesmen wanting to quote for work, so it ends up down to us doing it ourselves, suspect furlough payments are easier than working for some or just not worth their interest so inflated quotes.

Only consolation has been the saving of several thousand pounds by us doing jobs such as new facias cladding and guttering, took us three days as old legs and ladders are not what they used to be, cost us less than £300 in materials delivered, only quote received of several requested was in excess of £3000.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 11 Oct 2021, 13:27

CHJ wrote:
Only consolation has been the saving of several thousand pounds by us doing jobs such as new facias cladding and guttering, took us three days as old legs and ladders are not what they used to be, cost us less than £300 in materials delivered, only quote received of several requested was in excess of £3000.

That sounds expensive (not what it cost you doing the work but the quote) I just had 4 windows, and all the fascias and gutters around the house for under £3,500.
The wife will not allow me up ladders as well as some of the work is over a conservatory
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 11 Oct 2021, 13:46

Dalboy wrote:.
That sounds expensive (not what it cost you doing the work but the quote) I just had 4 windows, and all the fascias and gutters around the house for under £3,500......

Precisely, considering it's effectively a bungalow, we have replaced some doors and windows in recent years (self installed and contractor fitted) and my daughter had Gutter/Facia work done on a property requiring much harder access for a fraction of that quote. (as an aside National Plastics provided a good service, delivered materials within 48hrs.)
CHJ
Sapling

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)