It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:43

Trophy (Cup) Base?

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Trophy (Cup) Base?

Postby Beanwood » 21 Nov 2021, 23:05

My association, like many others I'm sure, has a trophy awarded at the AGM. This particular one (A smallish cup) was donated many years ago, and we have now run out of room to engrave any more names.
We would like to continue with this cup, so exploring what the options are for adding more engraving space.
The obvious answer is to add a base, to which plates can be attached. The cup base is round - so I was thinking round base..

Does anyone have experience making such a thing? I presume it must be FAIRLY straight forward?

Is there a particular type of wood that's needed, or is it just anything, turned well, and well finished?

What would I need to make the base truly black. Perhaps critically - is this a bad idea for a first project - with only 2 weeks to go ? ;)
Beanwood
Seedling

Name: Marcus

Re: Trophy (Cup) Base?

Postby CHJ » 21 Nov 2021, 23:27

Simple project if you have wood stock of suitable dimensions and a lathe, black easily achieved using something such as Ebonising Lacquer (chestnuts) or even black gloss car enamel.

Wood preferably one of the closer grained species.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Mike Jordan » 24 Nov 2021, 14:42

I made a number of these some years back for a local golf club. The existing trophies had bases made of mahogany on which the little engraved shields were mounted. I turned larger bases which were mounted beneath existing ones and solved the problem of mounting the next twenty years of winners names.
At my suggestion the additions were taken to a local French polisher to ensure that the finish matched.
I try to buy nothing from China.
Mike Jordan
Sapling

Name: Mike Jordan

Postby Woodster » 24 Nov 2021, 15:10

Any good hardwood will do the job. If you want it black use Chestnut Black spirit stain. It soaks right in so it won’t rub off like paint. You can put what you like on top of that.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Beanwood » 26 Nov 2021, 22:22

Thanks chaps.

As it happens, one of our members who is 'better' at this than me will do this job now.
I particularly want to try the Black Chestnut stain, so I might just have a go anyway to try things out.
Beanwood
Seedling

Name: Marcus

Postby Woodster » 26 Nov 2021, 22:50

The Chestnut spirit stains are very good and soak well into the wood. Unlike their Ebonising spray (black paint) it won’t just scratch off. I’ve got both products BTW. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)