It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:06

learnt a new word today, BUIS

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

learnt a new word today, BUIS

Postby Andyp » 10 Dec 2021, 10:32

French for boxwood.
the tree surgeon who felled my trees has just offered me some. Not large just 8cm diam. but I will definitely take it.
Will need to find out how best to season. I believe it can be done in the round, bark on.
Tips anyone?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: learnt a new word today, BUIS

Postby Woodbloke » 10 Dec 2021, 10:45

Andyp wrote:French for boxwood.
the tree surgeon who felled my trees has just offered me some. Not large just 8cm diam. but I will definitely take it.
Will need to find out how best to season. I believe it can be done in the round, bark on.
Tips anyone?

Paint the ends with a couple of thick, gloopy coats of PVA glue and leave somewhere in the shade out of the sun, wind and rain. Your log burner pile would be suitable...just remember not to feed it into the burner :lol: :lol: Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 10 Dec 2021, 11:42

BUIS stands for Back Up Iron Sights for when your main optic fails on a gun. :-)

It is also the Bath University Islamic Society.

I've seen quite a bit of boxwood around (when I say 'around' I mean at the exotic timber place I go to) and bought some very cheaply with a long term aim of one day making a chess set. I imagine there may be a bit of a glut for a while due to lots of mature buxus being removed as a result of box blight and box caterpillar. The latter is extremely voracious and denudes a tree or bush in a couple of weeks.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 10 Dec 2021, 11:53

I have a number of bits in the round and up to 200mm or so with the bark on and it's fine except for a few end shakes, it's probably the best part of 15 years now so well seasoned. It will split badly if you don't seal the ends though it wouldn't have mattered too much with mine as only used for smaller carvings and turning.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 10 Dec 2021, 13:37

Thanks folks,
I’ve not seen it yet just told my man to leave at as long as possible for now. We get sight of tomorrow.

I found a tin of very gloppy floor beeswax type stuff in the garage when we moved in. i have been using to treat the ends of bare wood. Seems to be just as successful, to date, as PVA.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 11 Dec 2021, 09:49

this is what it looks like. Will collect Tuesday.

goldenwood.JPG
(634.36 KiB)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 11 Dec 2021, 10:28

Nice haul 8-)

Any ideas as what to turn?

Have you tried green turning?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 11 Dec 2021, 12:03

Phil wrote:Nice haul 8-)

Not yet, will cut, sort, treat and store for now in anticipation that one day I might actually get some regular shop time again.

Green turning I tried and swear I will not do again inside the workshop. The lathe, although not big, is fixed fast to an enormous mobile router table that is too awkward to manoeuvre outside.

:eusa-think: If there is something that lends itself to green boxwood turning I am all ears

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 11 Dec 2021, 13:29

Andyp wrote:
Phil wrote:Nice haul 8-)

Not yet, will cut, sort, treat and store for now in anticipation that one day I might actually get some regular shop time again.

Green turning I tried and swear I will not do again inside the workshop. The lathe, although not big, is fixed fast to an enormous mobile router table that is too awkward to manoeuvre outside.

:eusa-think: If there is something that lends itself to green boxwood turning I am all ears

Looking at that lot, maybe some smallish bowls?

I did a lot of green turning mushrooms just for fun.
Wrapped them in newspaper, changed daily until dry, then sanded.

There are also some nice Xmas trees to turn green with 'branches', have a surf.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodbloke » 11 Dec 2021, 17:21

Some nice stuff in there Andy but it's going to take a goodly few years to dry properly. Some green bowl blanks could be roughed out which would reduce the drying time very considerably but wet turning does make a hell of a mess in the 'shop! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)