It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:08

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Postby CHJ » 11 Dec 2021, 12:13

As we are coming up to one of the most festive seasons in the UK calendar may I make a plea to all wood manglers, especially Turners, please wear adequate face protection.

Dust is dangerous, high impact small debris is dangerous, high impact larger objects can be life changers and even killers.
The wood turning community around the world has lost too many very talented people by being smashed in the face by a beautiful piece of wood that has decided to leave the chuck, and these are only the ones we know about and receive publicity because of their public profiles.

Demonstrators, I know it’s inconvenient, I know it’s difficult to communicate when using PPE but you are the ones that the new hobbyist is seeing as an example of good practice.
Too many times I hear hobbyists say PPE is so expensive and ‘Insert Prominent Demonstrator’ does not bother.

To all wood Turners:-
Please wear ADEQUATE DUST MASKS and just as important an ADEQUATE IMPACT RESITANT FACE SHIELD when using the Lathe.
The former will help prevent lung damage, severe allergy or life limiting illness down the line, the latter may just instantly save your life.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Re: Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

Postby Andyp » 11 Dec 2021, 13:21

Can’t be reminded about this too often, so thanks Chas.

Guilty, I am afraid, of removing the face shield once I have got any rough pieces round and even. Dust masks worn all the time.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 11 Dec 2021, 13:30

Yep. Fully on board with this. Totally agree. I have two downdraught headsets with full shields and wear these for anything when there is a risk from machinery. My wife wears the second one if she is helping (for example belt sanding oak beams).

I don't find the air masks at all inconvenient. The Axminster one has a soft cap and is more comfortable but filtration is not as good as the other one which has a hard cap and filters finer particles.

I like these because I can still wear my glasses without fogging.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 12 Dec 2021, 06:52

Andyp wrote:Can’t be reminded about this too often, so thanks Chas.

:text-+1:

AJB Temple wrote:I like these because I can still wear my glasses without fogging.

Fogging is more dangerous as I end up not seeing anything clearly. :oops:
This C-19 mask thing and glasses also becomes a problem with fogging.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Lons » 12 Dec 2021, 11:11

Thanks Chas, important reminder, we all need those sometimes, I'm guilty of the occasional lapse.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Just4fun » 12 Dec 2021, 12:05

Phil wrote:This C-19 mask thing and glasses also becomes a problem with fogging.

My latest box of C-19 masks are an "anti-fog" model. They have a layer of thin foam on the inside at the top, where there is the metal strip to bend and fix the mask to sit close to your face. As far as I can tell this foam strip does absolutely nothing and the "anti-fog" masks are no better than the normal masks. I assume the anti-fog masks are more expensive (I don't remember what I paid) and I won't buy them again.
Just4fun
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 12 Dec 2021, 12:06

To me PPE is a MUST purchase and it is not trying to be the safety Police it is just common sense. A good reminder Chas
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 12 Dec 2021, 12:21

If you are having fogging issues while wearing your mask try the following which was how I was taught to prevent fogging of my respirator. Polish the inside of the "glass" with a little pure beeswax to a high polish and this will prevent moisture sticking to the glass. I do this to my normal specs (but not my photochromatic ones) as well as my safety kit.

hth
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Dalboy » 12 Dec 2021, 17:19

droogs wrote:If you are having fogging issues while wearing your mask try the following which was how I was taught to prevent fogging of my respirator. Polish the inside of the "glass" with a little pure beeswax to a high polish and this will prevent moisture sticking to the glass. I do this to my normal specs (but not my photochromatic ones) as well as my safety kit.

hth

When I use to go diving(with aqua lung) we use to spit on the inside before a dive and then wash it in the sea this stopped the fogging when we dived into colder waters
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 12 Dec 2021, 20:39

droogs wrote:If you are having fogging issues while wearing your mask try the following which was how I was taught to prevent fogging of my respirator. Polish the inside of the "glass" with a little pure beeswax to a high polish and this will prevent moisture sticking to the glass. I do this to my normal specs (but not my photochromatic ones) as well as my safety kit.

hth

When I used to ride a motorbike they sold small cans of anti-fog spray that worked well, but only for a while.
I’ve just recently bought a new face mask that has a fogban coating but I’ve not tried it yet.
If it doesn’t work I may try your idea, thanks. In fact I may try it on my old face shield anyway.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 13 Dec 2021, 08:27

Another very easy option is something like Mr Sheen furniture polish. Spray a little on and then wipe to get a clear finish. I used to use this on my motorbike helmet before I got one with a pinlock visor. The furniture polish lasted a couple of weeks before needing to be reapplied (I was commuting 60 miles a day, so once a fortnight seemed reasonable to me). Gave the helmet an aromatic smell too :lol:
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)