It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:51

Cherry Hollow forms....

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Cherry Hollow forms....

Postby Dan0741 » 12 Dec 2021, 21:14

Evening all, some turning advice if I may.

This is my first time with an epoxy/cherry/hollow form (bowl).

I have these two cherry hollow forms turned roughly to shape. The right hand is a better version of the shape I am going for....They are approx. 12 inch high and 6 inches across. They are full of cracks, bark inclusions and woodworm holes. They are a bit spalted but not massively. I have turned a tenon on the ends. I have not started to hollow them out. I have painted with a hardner to solidify and help keep the bark. Some of the grain patterns are fabulous. I would like to leave the bark on the top end (mouth) in the finished piece.
20211212_132509 (1).jpg
(434.71 KiB)

20211212_133533.jpg
(375.31 KiB)

20211212_133540.jpg
(276.73 KiB)

I would like to end up with a hollow bowl shape ie a hole in the top about 3 inches across. I would like to fill the shakes, gaps cracks etc with black epoxy, nothing flash just a deep black to show off the lovely cherry. I want to avoid the black epoxy staining the wood by seeping into the timber where it is spalted, I think there may be some live woodworm in them still. I didn't realise until I had finished turning them...

Can someone give me an idea what order I need to do all this in please to make my life as easy as I can.

The stages I can identify I think are....

Treat for woodworm (Oven at 60 degrees?)
Hollow out
Treat with clear epoxy to prevent staining
Make some form of mould to sit it in when I pour in epoxy.
Epoxy pour.
Finish turn
Sand
Apply finish
polish
Apply hardner again.
Reverse and remove tennon

Just not sure of the best order or any missing stages...

Thanks in advance,

Dan
...time is precious; waste it wisely...
Dan0741
Sapling

Name: Dan

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)