It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:24

Containers for Sewing Needles and Pins

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Containers for Sewing Needles and Pins

Postby rxh » 27 Dec 2021, 22:31

These small gifts were made from scraps of boxwood. The threads and knurling were cut with hand tools.
Attachments
20211226_112040A.jpg
(191.35 KiB)
20211226_112209A.jpg
(185.83 KiB)
rxh
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Containers for Sewing Needles and Pins

Postby DaveL » 27 Dec 2021, 22:34

They are very nice.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Malc2098 » 27 Dec 2021, 23:04

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AndyT » 28 Dec 2021, 01:05

Very smart and very interesting... I've recently bought an assortment of internal and external thread chasers and worked out how to hold them with the lantern style tool holder on my Barnes lathe, so may well have a go at something similar. Did you make these on your Barnes? Did you use single point thread tools, chasers or tap & die?

And did you do all the wood shaping on the metalwork lathe?

I'm hoping you have some wip photos...
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby rxh » 28 Dec 2021, 13:02

AndyT wrote:Very smart and very interesting... I've recently bought an assortment of internal and external thread chasers and worked out how to hold them with the lantern style tool holder on my Barnes lathe, so may well have a go at something similar. Did you make these on your Barnes? Did you use single point thread tools, chasers or tap & die?

And did you do all the wood shaping on the metalwork lathe?

I'm hoping you he some wip photos...

Thanks Andy - I did the turning and drilling on a wood lathe (an Arundel dating from the 1960s). The threads were cut using engineering taps and dies, using a lathe as an unpowered aid to avoid getting "drunken" threads (see photo). I have found that dies work well on boxwood (even ACME threads can be cut this way). Soaking the wood in oil beforehand is helpful. I have not found any other wood types that can be threaded well with dies but taps work in many woods, even into end grain.

I too have recently obtained some thread chasers and I have been experimenting with them. I have tried freehand chasing of threads in wood but I haven't had much success so far. I did cut a fairly good thread in padauk but ruined it by taking one last pass. I tried some apple but the results were poor. More practice is needed by I am reluctant to sacrifice boxwood for this.

I have used the chasers clamped in the the lathe tool post to finish off threads cut with a single point tool - that worked very well. However I have not yet tried cutting wooden threads with a chaser held in the tool post.
Attachments
IMG_7651A.JPG
(337.85 KiB)
rxh
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AndyT » 28 Dec 2021, 15:07

Thanks Richard, that's helpful. When I get round to some experiments, I'll put some pictures on here.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 28 Dec 2021, 18:18

Very nice and not easy to work with such small items

I have just stacked a few bits of boxwood. Hope I can remember those when the time comes.

Lignum vitae takes taps and dies quite well.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Dec 2021, 18:37

AndyT wrote:Very smart and very interesting... I've recently bought an assortment of internal and external thread chasers

Totally agree; excellent job. My mate Andy Pickard let me have a couple of hand thread chasers for the lathe just before 'lockdown'.It's been a longstanding item on my tuit list to learn how to cut threads by hand on the lathe - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)