It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:23

Oak newel cap acorns

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Oak newel cap acorns

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 11:08

For the sheer novelty factor of posting in the turning sub-forum, here are some oak acorns I turned in the last few days:

They're 100mm in diameter, and about 240mm tall, finished with 2 or 3 coats of thinned Danish oil. We've found that the water-based lacquer we used on the stairs isn't great on the handrail.............it goes a bit sticky with oils from your skin. So I thought I'd try Danish oil instead, despite the slight colour difference. There was one abandoned acorn, due to a bad knot, and two mock-ups without the dowel/ tenon, to work out the dimensions & proportions. The one with the big tenon is going to be cut in half to plant against the wall, and as you can't drill half a hole I will cut some sort of square tenon and do some chiseling in the post.
Believe it or not, each one took half a day to make.

They're all the same size and shape, but the tenon lengths vary.....hence the impression in the photos that they are somewhat different sizes.

Last edited by Mike G on 30 Dec 2021, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Oak newel cap acorns

Postby Dalboy » 30 Dec 2021, 11:20

For someone that does flat pack :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: you have done a great job as for the time it takes that is just a case of practice and you will be able to complete these all in one day.
Also a great job on getting them nearly all the same
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Dec 2021, 11:20

Mike they are nice, very nice. How did you do the criss cross pattern?

the dog looks pleased with those too.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 11:25

Dalboy wrote:For someone that does flat pack :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: you have done a great job as for the time it takes that is just a case of practice and you will be able to complete these all in one day.

Thanks Derek. The carving takes an hour plus, so I doubt I'd ever be able to do 4 in a day.

I made a template, so getting them all the same was straightforward. I had to ease the shoulder in of one of them as one of the newel posts was a few mm undersized.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Dec 2021, 11:26

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 11:26

Andyp wrote:Mike they are nice, very nice. How did you do the criss cross pattern?....

It's just carved with a V tool.........mallet and chisel in the old fashioned way. Marking out was a task, though, and then it took a long time to work out a way of holding the work whilst carving.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 11:37

Here's the little marking thing I had to make:

Obviously, there is a second one for the reverse angle cuts.

This is the template:

And this is a close up of the carving. It doesn't have to be perfect to be pretty effective:

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Dec 2021, 11:41

Brilliant, and as you say, very effective.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Peri » 30 Dec 2021, 11:49

I'm impressed :) :text-bravo:
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby StevieB » 30 Dec 2021, 12:03

Very nice. As someone who has never used a lathe, and knowing your *ahem* reluctance to do so, can I ask whether you have experience of lathe work and just don't like it, or did you come at this as a complete beginner?
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 30 Dec 2021, 12:08

Very nice Mike. I’ve got 3 more to do to finish my daughters bed, that she’s been sleeping in for the past 7 years…
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Dec 2021, 12:14

Nice Mike; your pal made a good job of them :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 12:20

StevieB wrote:Very nice. As someone who has never used a lathe, and knowing your *ahem* reluctance to do so, can I ask whether you have experience of lathe work and just don't like it, or did you come at this as a complete beginner?

I've turned half a dozen things in my life, I guess, mainly spindles. I've used friends' lathes once or twice, and did a bowl on a lathe at school 50 years ago. So, I'm pretty much a complete beginner. However, it is just wood and a sharp edge. It's much the same sort of principle as any other woodworking with handtools. I probably scrape more than I should, but I'll work things out over time.

I've got a spindle gouge coming, so things should get a little easier then. I've just got a roughing gouge, a skew, and a couple of mortice chisels I use as parting tools for setting the depths.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby StevieB » 30 Dec 2021, 12:32

Thanks for that, much appreciated. A lathe is way down my 'want' list but never drops off the bottom - gives me some confidence I would be able to get something out of it if it ever makes it to the top!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Blackswanwood » 30 Dec 2021, 13:10

They are superb.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 13:19

Thanks Robert. I was more thinking "adequate", though. :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 30 Dec 2021, 13:27

Excellent.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby Rezi » 30 Dec 2021, 16:22

Great job Mike, welcome to the wild and wacky world of turning. :eusa-shifty:
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Dalboy » 30 Dec 2021, 20:31

Mike G wrote:
Dalboy wrote:For someone that does flat pack :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: you have done a great job as for the time it takes that is just a case of practice and you will be able to complete these all in one day.

Thanks Derek. The carving takes an hour plus, so I doubt I'd ever be able to do 4 in a day.

I made a template, so getting them all the same was straightforward. I had to ease the shoulder in of one of them as one of the newel posts was a few mm undersized.

Templates certainly help I like the little marking gauge you used for the cross hatch pattern that certainly made life a lot easier.
I must confess I forgot about the carving time so that could be cut down to maybe two a day :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 30 Dec 2021, 21:04

Great work Mike, excellent compliment to your staircase.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Lons » 30 Dec 2021, 21:05

Great work Mike those have come out really well. :eusa-clap:
Carving can often be done on a piece while still on the lathe, especially if the headstock has an indexing locking pin. It solves some of the holding issues. another way where there's a tenon like on yours is a bit of thick scrap with a hole the correct size and a sawcut so it can be pinched in a vice and easily angled or turned for access. You probably did something like that already.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 21:07

CHJ wrote:Great work Mike, excellent compliment to your staircase.

Thanks Chas.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 21:12

Lons wrote:.....Carving can often be done on a piece while still on the lathe......

A bit too risky for me when tapping with a big mallet. I'd worry about the bearings, and the face-plate. Besides, I turned the top end down to the mearest remnant nipple, and that wouldn't have withstood any of the hammering. Academic anyway, as I can't lock my headstock and the work would have been sontantly turning away from my gouge.

I ended up trapping it cross-ways between the wide-open jaws of my vice, with an anti-slip mat at the acorn end, and a piece at the other end of the jaw to prevent racking. It had to be lying down, as I discovered when I tried doing exactly what you suggested with a hole trapping it vertically in the vice. I just couldn't get the angle I needed to carve.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 30 Dec 2021, 21:22

I like 'em! Did you finish off the turning with sandpaper, or just the skew? I like using the skew, but I have to be really careful about snags.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 30 Dec 2021, 21:25

Mainly the skew, but a bit of sanding too. Bear in mind that I formed those curves below the acorn cup with the point of a skew (I don't have a spindle gouge yet), so they inevitably needed a little cleaning up.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Next

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)