It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:35

Swirl Pencil Pot

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Swirl Pencil Pot

Postby CHJ » 11 Apr 2022, 16:17

Oak & Brazilian Mahogany.
CSS, 3 Wheel buffed, Carnauba Wax finish.

DSCN6997.JPG
(123.6 KiB)
DSCN6998.JPG
(81.55 KiB)
DSCN6999.JPG
(149 KiB)
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Re: Swirl Pencil Pot

Postby Malc2098 » 11 Apr 2022, 17:29

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby DaveL » 11 Apr 2022, 18:15

Wow, cutting those segments looks to be a challenge.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Peri » 11 Apr 2022, 18:41

Like it - nice job :)
Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Cabinetman » 11 Apr 2022, 19:13

I’m sure there must be a method of doing such perfect swirls but nothing at all is springing to mind. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby CHJ » 11 Apr 2022, 19:22

DaveL wrote:Wow, cutting those segments looks to be a challenge.

Been practicing them for Eleven Years Dave

This was the first, completed on 16th. April 2011.:-
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Postby johnward » 12 Apr 2022, 11:53

Excellent job Chas.

John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 12 Apr 2022, 20:58

Love the design of this piece Chas may I steal it :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 12 Apr 2022, 21:28

Dalboy wrote:Love the design of this piece Chas may I steal it :lol:

No need to ask Derek, You could even Steel it I suspect. :) Just don't ask me for the maths, I worked to a storyboard initially and tweaked the angles for my setup.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Duncan A » 13 Apr 2022, 17:56

Both nice and novel.
And clever!
Duncan
Duncan A
Seedling

Name:

Postby markaw » 16 Jul 2022, 17:00

Wow, you have some skills. I can see how it's assembled , but I cannot figure out how did you make the swirl?
markaw
Seedling

Name:

Postby CHJ » 17 Jul 2022, 11:04

markaw wrote:...but I cannot figure out how did you make the swirl?

There is an old link "Segmented swirl lidded box" on my Web site which points elsewhere to the basic requirements. In those days (2011) the curve radii and segment thickness were achieved with sanding jigs.

Since those days I have made a jig for my bandsaw that after a bit of tweaking cuts them within spitting distance to size straight off the saw.

This is a bit of a fiddle as I only have one (14") bandsaw which has to be fitted with a 3/16" blade (the narrowest I can accommodate) when I want to do a batch.

It is essential the the blade is set at 90 deg. to the table/jig surface in both planes and in theory the radius of the curves achieved are out by the thickness of the blade kerf but in practice are within the zone tolerance of the ability to follow a curve with a bandsaw blade anyway.

( I say 90deg. to table is essential, otherwise segments cut in different batches may not fit together.)
CHJ
Sapling

Postby markaw » 17 Jul 2022, 17:23

Thanks for the insight. That's some intricate bandsaw work to fit together. Kudos.
I appreciate what a PITA it is to swap blades on the bandsaw for different types of work.
markaw
Seedling

Name:

Postby Phil » 22 Jul 2022, 12:26

That is indeed very nice work 8-)

Both of them :eusa-clap:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby CHJ » 22 Jul 2022, 16:47

Thanks for the comments, my patience/skill levels are not into the finer points of intricate segment work but i try to at least keep up a reasonable standard of finish.

One of the main problems I've encountered over the years using larger segment pieces, especially using mixed wood species is differential wood movement due to atmospheric changes over time.
Get it wrong and you risk either failing glue joints or split segments at some time in the future.
It pays to think about possible risk areas and adjust assembly methods or supporting lamination layers to add movement resisting strength.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 24 Jul 2022, 11:50

Another nice piece Chas and back to what you are known for.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Jul 2022, 14:00

Chas, do you use a template to make those segments?
Not asking you to reveal "trade" secrets if you don't wish to :D
Looking at it as an engineering challenge I'd be tempted to make 3D printed templates to suit the largest diameter job envisaged and fine tune rough cut segments on a router table, glue and turn to a circle as the last operation.
But then again I'm not a turner of any noticable prowess!

Bob

EDIT: re-reading above you talk about a bandsaw jig and hand sanding. Maybe once you have made a segment that works, you could keep that for a reference for router table use?
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby CHJ » 24 Jul 2022, 18:29

9fingers wrote:Chas, do you use a template to make those segments?

Bob, I started years ago by marking them out with a card template & cutting the segments freehand on the bandsaw then completed the profile with a jig on a disc sander and bespoke drum sander, time consuming and excessive trial fit fiddling.

This led to a bit more thought on devising something repeatable in the way of a jig for the bandsaw.

The segments are currently used straight off the bandsaw, the same jig is used to cut both curves, the 'inner' curve being cut first then with the piece clamped against a fixed location stop the outer curve is cut.

In theory the two radii are out by the thickness of the blade kerf but in practice within the range of wood movement etc.

It does need strict attention to blade sharpness and setup each time I use the jig and as currently designed the jig design is specific to set segment numbers.

I've never got round to producing an adjustable jig, or more fixed function ones to accommodate more segments.

If I ever get around to tuning my brain into programming my little CNC It would appear to be an ideal solution.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby CHJ » 24 Jul 2022, 22:02

A couple of samples of segments cut this week, these are straight off the bandsaw.
seg1.jpg
(112.24 KiB)
seg2.jpg
(116.07 KiB)

It is possible with the jig to cut the segment pieces with offset stacked blanks so that an inner and an outer curve are cut as a pair removing blade drift effects on radius but this can introduce other problems with the thick segments I prefer to use.

The numbers on the glued up segments were to keep them as a set after trial clamping to check fit.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby chataigner » 29 Jul 2022, 11:23

That's a very nice design - a bit Art Deco. Nice workmanship too, bravo !
David
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)