It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:24

Zebrano Bowl

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Zebrano Bowl

Postby Dalboy » 20 Apr 2022, 19:02

I thought it was about time I turned something so dug this wood out from the pile a little disappointed as it took me two hours to turn need to turn more.

Finished with sander sealer and woodwax22 size is 6" X 1 3/4".

DSCF2421 (2).JPG
(207.78 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Zebrano Bowl

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Apr 2022, 09:19

Lovely grain.

I dare you to go thinner for the next one!
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 21 Apr 2022, 11:37

AJB Temple wrote:Lovely grain.

I dare you to go thinner for the next one!

I do thin occasionally but those that want most of my bowl like a little thickness to them
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Apr 2022, 13:58

Very nice mate. I love zebrano (in small doses), very classic look. Agree with Adrian that thinner would be nice but as you say, the customer knows what they want...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby CHJ » 21 Apr 2022, 16:20

Neat little bowl to get back into free-form turning, hope the exercise did not contaminate that nice clean workshop environment too much.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Apr 2022, 16:37

TrimTheKing wrote:Very nice mate. I love zebrano (in small doses)...

SWIMBO and I went to Yandles some years ago and she was very taken with the enormous boards of zebrano in the woodshed. ''Could I have a kitchen door made from it?" was the next question and I fortunately managed to talk her out of it. Close call though :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 21 Apr 2022, 16:57

Woodbloke wrote:SWIMBO and I went to Yandles some years ago and she was very taken with the enormous boards of zebrano in the woodshed. ''Could I have a kitchen door made from it?" was the next question and I fortunately managed to talk her out of it. Close call though :D - Rob

Oooooooh no, far too much! Small doses, tool handles, box lids, maybe a full (small) box, but not too much more. Too overpowering.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby CHJ » 21 Apr 2022, 17:38

Sometimes grabbing the slabs of cheaper seconds with high proportion of sapwood from the Yandles racks can result in a 'less-is-more' result for larger pieces.

This one's been in regular use as a fruit bowl since late 2005.
DSC01036.JPG
(399.79 KiB)

Unfortunately I suspect I will never be raiding their store again.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 21 Apr 2022, 18:42

Thank you guys as I said just good to get back doing some woodturning.

CHJ wrote:Neat little bowl to get back into free-form turning, hope the exercise did not contaminate that nice clean workshop environment too much.

All the machines are covered with sheets when not in use and the chip extractor was also on. Will hopefully get some more turning done between the loco build.

Nice bowl Chas
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 21 Apr 2022, 22:34

Dalboy wrote:..Nice bowl Chas

Thanks Derek, it was the first after my first few months of turning that really struck a cord and I have strived several times to get the same profile but never quite matched it. Mainly because of my inability to get the curves right, although I often sell myself the excuse of lack of stock thickness or unhelpful grain flow.

CHJ
Sapling

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Apr 2022, 06:58

CHJ wrote:
Unfortunately I suspect I will never be raiding their store again.

I will be...today! 15% off :eusa-dance: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 22 Apr 2022, 07:42

I have very few exotics those I do have came from members of the club when they bring stuff to sell
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 22 Apr 2022, 11:22

Dalboy wrote:I have very few exotics those I do have came from members of the club when they bring stuff to sell
I still have some part slabs of Bubinga, Pau Rosa & several slabs/planks etc. of Brazilian Mahogany, there's also a block of Ebony I've had for 15yrs+ and need to work up the courage to 'waste it' on some project/s or other, plus a few bits of King wood amongst the exotics.
Remnants of Yandles raids of Chestnut, Oak etc. to work through besides all the home grown stuff.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Apr 2022, 10:13

CHJ wrote:....still have some part slabs of Bubinga

I bought two huge boards of Bubinga yesterday at Yandles. Both had been in the woodshed for about 5 years and had been missed :eusa-whistle: as they were both up hard against the back wall and covered with much newer stuff. As Yandles don't put their prices up and there was a 15% discount yesterday, the boards were as 'cheap as chips'. That said, one of the boards had a lot of sap and worm in it which I had to totally remove (I hate sap :evil: ) but there was still some fandabby timber that came out of it. The other board was totally quarter sawn and 50mm thick but had some big cracks down one side; still a lovely board once it was sorted out - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)