It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:50

Spurtles

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Spurtles

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Apr 2022, 12:27

I didn't know what they were either, but No.1 daughter 'oop narth' in Carlisle recently found out and requested a few. Apparently 250mm is the preferred option 'cos it gives a better, smoother porridge, but what do I know; I detest it :D

IMG_6675.jpeg
(95.6 KiB)

London Plane base with a tartan ribbon and pewter thistle. I was going to attempt to burn a thistle shape but SWIMBO suggested that a little pewter wotsit from Etsy would be better. Materials for the spurtles from left to right:

IMG_6676.jpeg
(103.22 KiB)

Toa (Polynesian Ironwood that I brought home a few years ago from the Cook Islands, where it grows like a weed. It's a bit hard :shock: ) Apple, Bog Oak, London Plane and Maple. Spurtles finished with Food Safe Oil and I'll provide No.1 daughter with a small bottle of the stuff so she can refinish them from time to time - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Spurtles

Postby Phil » 23 Apr 2022, 12:52

Very nice :eusa-clap:

They can also be used to stir martinis 8-)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 23 Apr 2022, 19:39

Very nice Rob,

I am sure there must be something magical in those spurtles. I wonder how I manage to make perfectly acceptable porridge for the hungry hoards in this house without the need of a saucepan. No stirring with spoon, stick nor spurtle required. But then I am just a poor ignorant sassenach with the culinary finisse of a heathen.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Apr 2022, 21:24

Andyp wrote:Very nice Rob,

I am sure there must be something magical in those spurtles. I wonder how I manage to make perfectly acceptable porridge for the hungry hoards in this house without the need of a saucepan. No stirring with spoon, stick nor spurtle required. But then I am just a poor ignorant sassenach with the culinary finisse of a heathen.

Thanks Andy. She only found out about these things a few days ago and decided that the WoD (Workshop of Dad) needed to pull its finger out and provide her with a few. I tried porridge a few times many years ago and simply couldn't stomach the glutinous texture of the stuff. That said, it's just about the best 'slow release' breakfast you can have so although I don't eat the cooked variety of oats, I do have plenty on my muesli every morning - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 24 Apr 2022, 09:05

The microwave makes brilliant porridge.
Put oats in a bowl with sufficient water on the previous evening, park in the microwave.
Next morning blast for 30 seconds whilst making the (instant) coffee.
Give a stir and another 1.5 minute blast.

That keeps me going until 6pm when I eat my main (only other) meal.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Apr 2022, 10:05

Lurker wrote:The microwave makes brilliant porridge.
Put oats in a bowl with sufficient water on the previous evening, park in the microwave.

But I don't eat the bloody stuff! :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 24 Apr 2022, 11:28

Nice spurtles until I saw Richard Raffan make one I also did not know of their existence.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 24 Apr 2022, 15:20

Yep just about how I do it. Prefer milk to water though and we leave in the fridge overnight.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 24 Apr 2022, 16:23

Andyp wrote:

Yep just about how I do it. Prefer milk to water though and we leave in the fridge overnight.

Porridge is my goto winter breakfast. Never tried the overnight soak method. I use 35gms oats and top up to 225gm with semi skimmed milk and 5 mins in the microwave whilst making a mug of coffee in the perky copulator. Both ready around the same time.
Nearly time to change over to a pair of Weetabix once the oats have been used up.
Apart from Sunday which is bacon & eggs, toast & marmalade, Started off as a treat and now I have to prepare it every week!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Lurker » 24 Apr 2022, 16:45

Real men have water, not milk 8-)

Rob, best to look away now : I don’t like mine runny, but it’s sort of a jelly like glutinous blob.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Apr 2022, 17:01

Lurker wrote:Rob, best to look away now : I don’t like mine runny, but it’s sort of a jelly like glutinous blob.

I want to throw up already! - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 24 Apr 2022, 17:03

Woodbloke wrote:
Lurker wrote:Rob, best to look away now : I don’t like mine runny, but it’s sort of a jelly like glutinous blob.

I want to throw up already! - Rob

Very good for your cholesterol apparently Rob!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 24 Apr 2022, 17:28

Lurker wrote:Real men have water, not milk 8-)

Rob, best to look away now : I don’t like mine runny, but it’s sort of a jelly like glutinous blob.

Yep and real men add salt too. I’ve even seen a chap on the hill eating porridge sandwiches.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Apr 2022, 17:30

9fingers wrote:
Very good for your cholesterol apparently Rob!

Bob

Agreed Bob, but you don't need to eat yuky, glutinous cooked oats; a couple of shovelfuls of dry oats on the muesli each morning does the same job - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 24 Apr 2022, 17:36

I used to have salt in my porridge, but it’s not a good thing to imbibe if at all possible.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 24 Apr 2022, 19:55

Lurker wrote:I used to have salt in my porridge, but it’s not a good thing to imbibe if at all possible.

New study out saying that’s not the case actually , maybe we shouldn’t have the amount we used to consume 100 years ago - literally 10 times average present day consumption but not harmful as we have been lead to believe, six year trial in 26 sites in 6 countries, and also read that most people nowadays don’t have nearly enough salt in their diet which can cause all sorts of problems for the body. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Dalboy » 24 Apr 2022, 20:33

I have to be in the right frame of mind to eat porridge, I can take it or leave it.

Someone years ago said eating porridge was like doing porridge it was a form of sentence :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Apr 2022, 21:05

I have a bowl most every morning, 35g oats and 180ml milk blasted in the pop te ping for 2:30 with a stir in the middle. Handful of sultanas, blueberries and a couple of chopped strawberries, and a drizzle of honey.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Spurtles

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Apr 2022, 21:06

Andyp wrote:
Yep and real men add salt too. I’ve even seen a chap on the hill eating porridge sandwiches.

Apparently the crofters up beyond Hadrians barrier would make a pot in the morning, eat brekkie, then the remainder would be poured into an empty drawer in the kitchen cabinet. Left to harden off they’d then cut a slice for a snack. Essentially a flapjack.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Lurker » 25 Apr 2022, 10:16

TrimTheKing wrote:
Andyp wrote: :D :D

Apparently the crofters up beyond Hadrians barrier would make a pot in the morning, eat brekkie, then the remainder would be poured into an empty drawer in the kitchen cabinet. Left to harden off they’d then cut a slice for a snack. Essentially a flapjack.

When we lived in Caithness, her majesty had a district nurse role looking after cancer patients who lived on their own, at the weekend I used to accompany her. I got quite friendly with an old chap in a remote Croft and she would visit him first leave me there and pick me up on the way home I would spend the time doing odd jobs around the place for him.
He did exactly that. It was him who got me eating porridge, and also drinking malt whiskey :D
I toast him every time I have a dram .
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)