It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:15

Dry Flower Vase

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Dry Flower Vase

Postby CHJ » 16 May 2022, 17:40

Cherry, 190mm high.
CSS, Buffed & Microcrystalline wax.

DSCN7025.JPG
(109.5 KiB)
DSCN7026.JPG
(111.79 KiB)
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Re: Dry Flower Vase

Postby Lurker » 16 May 2022, 17:44

Did you do that with some sort of wood work knurling tool?
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 16 May 2022, 18:42

Lurker wrote:Did you do that with some sort of wood work knurling tool?

Yes, I've had it years but don't use it very often, idea's good, but the cutters are less than ideal for sharpness and I find it very difficult to get consistent results with the different wheels and modes, add to that the total variability of each sample of wood and as they say 'best laid plans' and all that, play a significant part in the outcome.

Could just be me, lack of practice and patience, something I think you might need in spades to justify the current retail price.

Like all Knurling there is a need to match peripheral circumference of work and wheel tooth spacing for cleanest results.

crown.jpg
(153.39 KiB)
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 16 May 2022, 21:43

I have the Robert Sorby version of that tool Chas and as you say practice is the key as well as wood type. I found Beech to be a good wood.

Nice looking Pot/Vase
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby CHJ » 16 May 2022, 22:36

Dalboy wrote:I have the Robert Sorby version of that tool Chas and as you say practice is the key as well as wood type. I found Beech to be a good wood.

I picked mine up from a trade stand promotion at Yandles some years ago, one of those must have discount offers, it seemed a good idea at the time.
Afraid it's not been one of those 'go for' tools on the rack.
Guess I must try harder.
CHJ
Sapling

Postby Dalboy » 17 May 2022, 08:34

CHJ wrote:
I picked mine up from a trade stand promotion at Yandles some years ago, one of those must have discount offers, it seemed a good idea at the time.
Afraid it's not been one of those 'go for' tools on the rack.
Guess I must try harder.

I was lucky I got mine very cheap less than 1/4 of the price which I don't mind if it sits and gets only a little use, I would have to think twice if I had to pay full price.
Like you I don't use it enough
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)