It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:08

Walnut Bowl

The place to find and post anything related to the world of spinning wood at ridiculously high speeds!

Walnut Bowl

Postby Dalboy » 26 May 2022, 21:26

I needed to turn a bowl which I was going to turn into a keep sake of a birth but once I started to turn it the grain was not suited for that purpose so I completed it, but still need to find a suitable blank in the woodshed.
It did make a change from pieces of metal even I managed a little on the mill

Anyway a partially Spalted walnut bowl was produced 10" X 2 1/2" finished with Chestnut acrylic sander sealer and gloss top coat.

DSCF2534.JPG
(261.09 KiB)
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Walnut Bowl

Postby CHJ » 27 May 2022, 09:33

Good rescue in the end despite the stock disappointment.

Spalted Walnut, that's something I've never come across, never having had any native walnut tree stock 'in the raw' so to speak.
All that I've ever had has been wood yard processed or latter years furniture manufactures off-cuts.

I can envision the visual and turning challenge presented, I guess the spalting tends to detract from the grain flow rather than being a feature.
Chas. just a traveller on the road of time. Bits & Pieces Gallery ... My Web Site
CHJ
Sapling

Name: Chas Jones

Re: Walnut Bowl

Postby Dalboy » 27 May 2022, 13:21

CHJ wrote:Good rescue in the end despite the stock disappointment.

Spalted Walnut, that's something I've never come across, never having had any native walnut tree stock 'in the raw' so to speak.
All that I've ever had has been wood yard processed or latter years furniture manufactures off-cuts.

I can envision the visual and turning challenge presented, I guess the spalting tends to detract from the grain flow rather than being a feature.

This was a large trunk that laid in someones yard for I don't know how long. This type of bowl seems to do well around here anything that is spalted goes very fast which I don't mind.
Some of the trunk was very soft where it had started to rot but the majority was very solid so got a good amount from it.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to Turning (Wood or any other material you fancy)