It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:08

Blade tension rod.

The place to be to discuss Scrolling and other artistic forms of Woodbutchery

Blade tension rod.

Postby Mike G » 27 Apr 2021, 19:50

What's one of these things on a scroll saw, and how much of an issue is it if one is broken?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Blade tension rod.

Postby Lons » 27 Apr 2021, 21:29

If you can't tension the blade you can't use the saw Mike, mine is a Hegner and the rod is at the back, I assume similar to all others of like design, you roughly tension it then there' a flip over clamp for quick release to change blade, they're pretty simple and usually easily replaced, I guess even if an obscure saw it wouldn't be difficult to make up a part.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby DaveL » 27 Apr 2021, 21:31

Mike,

We need a bit more information, there are number of ways the tension can be applied to a scroll saw blade. In general the saw will shed the blade if it's not under tension, or the blade will bend if it does not fall off.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 27 Apr 2021, 21:33

Lons wrote:........there' a flip over clamp for quick release to change blade, they're pretty simple and usually easily replaced, I guess even if an obscure saw it wouldn't be difficult to make up a part.

Great. That's what I needed to know.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mr P » 28 Apr 2021, 08:02

Mike G wrote:
Lons wrote:........there' a flip over clamp for quick release to change blade, they're pretty simple and usually easily replaced, I guess even if an obscure saw it wouldn't be difficult to make up a part.

Great. That's what I needed to know.

A cycle quick release skewer will do the job Mike, these get recommended lot on scrolling sites (never used one myself)
Mr P
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2021, 08:24

Thanks. I thought as much, although I wasn't so sure about the scale.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lons » 28 Apr 2021, 08:33

Dave is right Mike there are other ways to tension and some of the none Hegner type have a different mechanism, here's a parts diagram of a typical Hegner which might be of interest. There are plenty of manuals for other models on line.
Are you getting a scroll saw or is this anther of you invention projects like the TV lift? I'm not quite sure what you need to make that helps with rapid up and down movements. :lol:...... Well I can but too polite to say. :oops:
Attachments
hegner parts.jpg
(185.18 KiB)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2021, 09:03

There's a broken scroll saw on Ebay which is only a few miles away from me, and if it only goes for a few quid I might have a go at it. There are times when changing a blade on the bandsaw just to cut a small fiddly curve or two is not worth the hassle. I'll manage perfectly well without (I own a coping saw!), but if it's dirt cheap.....
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Apr 2021, 09:17

They are handy for some jobs. I have an old jewellers version (second hand) made by Hegner, that I have used sometimes for cutting abalone and mother of pearl. It's been looked after and is very reliable, though rarely used. Hard materials like that or sheet brass can eat blades, but the blades are cheap.

Mine has a variable speed system from near zero upwards, and a pedal like a sowing machine. Being able to control speed is very useful for some fiddly things. My expertise with them is minimal.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » 28 Apr 2021, 10:12

Be careful Mike! That was my thinking when I bought this lovely old treadle powered fretsaw, by Trump Brothers. It's an enjoyable machine to use, but takes up quite a bit of floor space.

And it wouldn't lead to collecting any more old tools just because you liked them... ;)

--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Apr 2021, 10:46

You have an addiction Andy. Just saying'
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2021, 10:55

That's just gorgeous, Andy.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 28 Apr 2021, 11:05

I have an old clarke saw. before I got a bandsaw it did everything I needed it to.
If the machine is going cheap, grab it, it's one of those tools you won't use very often, but when you need it, there is nothing else that comes close (excluding a peg and a fret saw).
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 28 Apr 2021, 11:18

Haven’t you just become, or just about to become a grandad Mike? No end of fun to be had with a scroll saw making things for the kids.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2021, 11:38

Yes, Andy, I have. She's now 6 months old, and so the possibilities for toy-making had been one of the things in my mind since Ebay put a scroll saw in my bandsaw search.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mr P » 28 Apr 2021, 11:47

Yes scroll saws are useful I used mine only yesterday to cut 4 Venetian blinds to length for my daughter. 1 was all metal, 2 wood slats with a metal top and 1 all plastic. All cut with No.3 wood blades, used 4 blades doing them. I have 3 electric saws, all old Deltas and 2 Hobbies A1 treadle machines plus a load of Hobbies hand frames. Collector, no, avid scroll saw user, yes. ;) :D
Mr P
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Phil » 28 Apr 2021, 12:05

Mike G wrote:What's one of these things on a scroll saw, and how much of an issue is it if one is broken?

What make is it Mike?

That will help with advice.

You already have the Hegner answers.

My 2 Hegners have an adjusting screw-rod at the back to set the blade tension. I can post pics if you need.

If I recall Robert-Mod has a Delta?

If it is 'cheap' - what is the price?

I am seriously concerned about you. :o
First a lathe for a 'friend' and now a scrollsaw.

You are now headed down a very slippery slope, especially as 'Granddad' will be making toys :D :D 8-)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2021, 12:07

It's a Jet JSS16, Phil. It hasn't got a price at the moment, as no-one has bid.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Apr 2021, 12:25

There are a few around at about £105 new and with guarantee. So a broken one on eBay should be cheap as chips. Why not contact the seller and offer to pop round with some cash.

Snag with Jet is I suspect spares might be hard to get now that Axi have stopped selling them. I've got some Jet stuff (cyclone etc) and it is well made.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 28 Apr 2021, 12:29

Mike G wrote:It's a Jet JSS16, Phil. It hasn't got a price at the moment, as no-one has bid.

Mike the Jet has a very good reputation for sturdy machines.
My lathe is a Jet.

Yes, they all come from East of the Nile, but some of the manufacturers quality standards are still adhered to (hopefully).

Do they state 'Reserve'?
Stick in a bid for GBP10.00 and seen what happens.

Have a look at the manual
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/72673 ... ss-16.html
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2021, 12:33

Thanks for that guys. I'd already downloaded that manual, Phil. What a useful website that one is.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 28 Apr 2021, 12:39

Mike, here are the parts division

https://store.jettools.com/catalogsearch/

On e-bay is there not a "Contact the seller" option which then routes through e-bay?

Ideally if you could see the machine, but again you need contact with the seller

I drove 70Km to look at the Hegners before I submitted a bid.

Phil
Old Oak

Postby Lons » 28 Apr 2021, 18:00

That saw looks ok to me Mike and as Phil said jet are usually decent machines, I have a little Jet lathe as well. The listing only states the rod is broken and doesn't mention if there's anything else wrong with it so might be worth asking. If it is just the rod they are very simple, just a rod threaded at both ends though they may not be metric threads anyone with basic metalworking skills and a tap and die set can cobble up a replacement.
Definitely worth a punt if it's cheap.
Lons
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 28 Apr 2021, 18:08

Thanks Bob.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 28 Apr 2021, 21:18

Isn't one end left hand thread?