It is currently 21 Oct 2021, 01:56

Mike's extension & renovation (kitchen completion)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (kitchen completion)

Postby Mike G » 13 Oct 2021, 20:28

NickM wrote:......What didn’t you like about the narrow pin dovetails? I wonder if they’re better suited to half blind dovetails (eg drawers) where you won’t see the “point” of the pins....

That's pretty much it. On the front, there is nothing to show that there are any dovetails there if you are more than a couple of feet away. That little point of the pin is literally one kerf wide, and so is lost in the vast expanse of oak on the fascia. I'd maybe think about using them on a box, but I consider the use of them this time to be a lesson learnt.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Oct 2021, 20:34

the bear wrote:.....Whats confusing me though is I don't understand how you store bicycles in it ;)

Mark

:lol: :lol: I must post an update on the bike shed, which is nearing completion. It has some security features built in which I won't be posting, so there'll be only sparse WIP photos. I'm at that time of year where I have an indoor and an outdoor job running at the same time in case the weather intervenes, so it can take a little longer to finish any one job.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 13 Oct 2021, 20:38

Andyp wrote:..... Now the kitchen is finished can you start work on the boat, please. :).....

Simmer, Andy! :) I've got quite a list to get to before I start the boat, and probably a hip operation too. Upcoming highlights include oak ledged and boarded doors (cinch nailed) for upstairs rooms, a workstation for my office, a green oak framed sunroom on the back of the house, a huge dining table and 10 chairs, and various more minor projects. Then, and only then, can I start the boat.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 14 Oct 2021, 13:38

Let’s hope the rising sea levels don’t move the boat project up the list!

Pete
Pete Maddex
Sapling

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 14 Oct 2021, 18:29

Excellent work as always, Mike. I do have a question though:

Wouldn't this be considered more a corbel than a bracket? Or are they interchangeable in this instance?

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Nordic Pine

Name: Kirk

Postby Mike G » 14 Oct 2021, 18:46

That's a good question, Kirk. I think the best way to look at it is to think of a corbel as a category of bracket, (other than in the case of coursed masonry where one course overhangs the one below.......also a corbel but not bracket). It could well be said that this is a corbel, but it's also a bracket.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 17 Oct 2021, 07:04

Very nice Mike! 8-)

Agree on the vent box, plastic looks cheap. Our extractor vents up a pipe into the roof void into a 4m x 100mm long pipe with the little plastic box with louvres that open when blowing and close when stopped.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP