It is currently 17 Jan 2022, 05:49

Staircase upgrade - ...

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Staircase upgrade - ...

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2022, 19:18

Thanks chaps. I could be wrong but I think that the type of wreath predicates that it must 'leave the line' as it were.

The bare stringer looks OK, I think, as will the top of the newel as I'll probably put a small 'feature' flat of walnut on top of it. Depends what CDA decides.

This was our first idea and based on the same moulding as on the skirting boards but upside-down.

It didn't look right, though, in position. CDA thought a corbel would look better, found a suitable design which she wanted simplified and this is it.

We think it hits the spot.
Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jan 2022, 19:31

Will you make a feature or put a finial on the top of the newel, Roger?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2022, 19:40

Malc2098 wrote:Will you make a feature or put a finial on the top of the newel, Roger?

:eusa-think: Mmm...a finial ?? Interesting idea. Not sure TBH. I thought probably keep it plain but will run that idea past CDA.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jan 2022, 21:44

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:Will you make a feature or put a finial on the top of the newel, Roger?

:eusa-think: Mmm...a finial ?? Interesting idea. Not sure TBH. I thought probably keep it plain but will run that idea past CDA.

Could you design something that would echo the design of the corbel?
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2022, 19:16

Really fascinating and it shows that one can't necessarily see how things will pan put until a bit later on. Just as well I've made things 'tweakable'.

This first spindle and support looked fine.

But after fitting the two 'extended' spindles,. I suddenly realised that that first one also needs to be an 'extended' one. I only noticed it from upstairs.

As it is, it's just plain wrong and once noticed, becomes more apparent at floor level

RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Jan 2022, 20:54

Alternative suggestion: instead of using those support blocks, mount a horizontal "shelf" instead and at the turn point on the stairs curve it round so that it follows the line of the handrail and then blends into the side panel on the next flight. The spindles then drop into or onto the "shelf".

I think this might look much less contrived and will deal neatly with the turn point where you just have one spindle over the side on the half landing between the first and the second flight. The way the rail turns looks nice, and the bottom of the spindles needs to mirror that ....is my suggestion.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, gardening or any kind of DIY.
AJB Temple
Old Oak

Name: Adrian

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2022, 22:20

I did think about that but doesn't it have to suddenly go vertical to accommodate that height difference on the turn?

Any chance you could sketch out your idea ? I may have misunderstood.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Jan 2022, 22:46

I'm away at the moment Roger. If it can wait until Sunday I will do it.

In the meantime, if you imagine (for simplicity) a plank fixed the the vertical part (but at 90 degrees to it) of the vertical piece of wood (sorry don't know the name) where the spindles joint the first flight. This makes that section wider and you can fashion a curve where it joins the second flight, and will taper into the side panel on the second flight, collecting the stray spindles as it goes.

The idea is that it echoes your fine work on the rail and hides the angularity of the bottom section.

Adrian
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, gardening or any kind of DIY.
AJB Temple
Old Oak

Name: Adrian

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 07:03

Very happy to wait until later, thanks Adrian.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Jan 2022, 10:27

I think I get Adrian's idea. Would the radius of this curved piece be the same as the radius of the horizontal plane curve of the rail?

If that's right, then I think I've got his idea.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 10:33

But there has to be a height change, surely? So the support can't be horizontal ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 15 Jan 2022, 10:50

I've never understood how this was going to work. I think the neatest answer would be some curved (on plan) panelling down to the ground following the line of the rail, hiding the stringers in the corner. I just don't see any curved shelf, or brackets, working on straight stringers.

So panelling on the outside.......but that will still leave you an ugly problem on the inside, where you'll have straight stringers and the top of a newel post sticking inside the line of the handrail. The only thing I can think of there would be to build out a shelf from the bottom of the stairs to the top, projecting inwards from the balluster line enough to cover the corner. I think your stairs are wide enough to lose a few inches.

Hindsight and all that, but building a new staircase might have been a whole lot easier!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby flying haggis » 15 Jan 2022, 17:23

Come on Roger you are dragging this out !....

these guys would done it in a day...

https://youtu.be/dhHhgAP4vPk

(yours is looking good though and well done for persevering and showing us all the bits that didnt go well as well as the ones that did)

I want to see more of the wall to the right of the stairs in the video as well.
flying haggis
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 18:33

flying haggis wrote:...

I want to see more of the wall to the right of the stairs in the video as well.

Many thanks, FH. Do you mean his wall or my wall ....confused as you do mention video and I'm not sure that my wall has a lot to offer !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby flying haggis » 15 Jan 2022, 18:48

the wall in the you tube video to the right of the staircase that we get fleeting glimpses of
flying haggis
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2022, 18:53

flying haggis wrote:the wall in the you tube video to the right of the staircase that we get fleeting glimpses of

Ah, gotcha. Didn't think my wall had much going for it :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP