It is currently 18 Aug 2022, 09:22

Ash bed WIP

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Ash bed WIP

Postby AndyT » 05 Aug 2022, 17:51

Steve Maskery wrote:Which particular Polyvine product are we talking about here plesae?

Sorry I should have put the full name in the text - it's lurking in the background in the photo. Polyvine wax finish varnish satin finish.
I must admit I was a bit bemused by the product naming when I bought it. I don't think it contains any wax, but it's supposed to look like a wax when applied.

And I have a feeling that it might not come in a blue bottle any more.

I checked, it's slightly differently presented now, in a white bottle, but I think this is the same stuff

https://www.axminstertools.com/polyvine ... 0ml-701573
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Aug 2022, 18:14

AndyT wrote:And I have a feeling that it might not come in a blue bottle any more.

I checked, it's slightly differently presented now, in a white bottle, but I think this is the same stuff

https://www.axminstertools.com/polyvine ... 0ml-701573

Just to clarify Andy, 'satin' is blue and 'dead flat' is in the white bottle (just checked in the 'shop) Looks like they've swopped the bottles around though! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Old Oak

Name: Rob Stoakley

Postby AndyT » 05 Aug 2022, 18:19

Rob, I think your blue bottle might just be an old one, like mine - there's a printed date on mine. The maker's website only shows white bottles.

https://polyvine.com/index.php/en/produ ... sh-varnish
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Aug 2022, 18:29

AndyT wrote:Rob, I think your blue bottle might just be an old one, like mine - there's a printed date on mine. The maker's website only shows white bottles.

https://polyvine.com/index.php/en/produ ... sh-varnish

I think so Andy, mine are several years old (same as yours) and are nearly empty. Good stuff none the less and I've been very impressed. I'll certainly invest in another couple later on- Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Old Oak

Name: Rob Stoakley

Postby AndyT » 07 Aug 2022, 17:36

After rather a lot of agonising over details, I've been hiding from the heat and making a little more progress on sanding and chamfering the slats.

Having rejected Mr Nurse's plane as not working on tiny chamfers, I dug out my other old one. It's not quite what the old book lists as the Melhuish pattern - whoever made this one favoured movable fences on both sides. But they close up tight enough, and I want the consistency that a fenced plane will give me.

IMG_8099.JPG
the better plane
(243.74 KiB)

IMG_8100.JPG
boxwood fences
(235.96 KiB)

First, I sanded the slats, like I did in my experiment, using 120 grit Abranet and the vacuum cleaner. I realised that, with hand sanding, I'd normally judge my progress by the amount of dust I had made. But with this method, there's no dust at all. That makes it a bit odd - it feels as if you're not removing anything - but you are of course. I soon found myself developing a rhythm of doing the same number of strokes on each surface, in the same order. This helps a lot with a repetitive job and makes sure of not missing anything out. I was careful to keep all the bits stacked up by number.

For the chamfering, it was the same sort of routine. I was holding the slats against a couple of pegs in the bench, positioning the plane the same way, and taking just two shavings from each arris.

IMG_8107.JPG
simple workholding
(300.84 KiB)

IMG_8108.JPG
a tidy pile
(297.47 KiB)

I've now done both sets of slats, for the head and foot of the bed. I didn't use a washing line, just some bits of scrap to let them rest on their tenons.

IMG_8109.JPG
watching varnish dry
(332.13 KiB)

I'm really happy with this varnish. It goes on very easily, dries smooth and looks good. I've been using a Polvine brush which is quite thin but holds just enough and has the right strength of bristles to brush it out efficiently.

Buoyed up by success with the slats, I also started on the end rails. These just needed a bit of a clean up to remove any markings or rough spots.

On the straight one I just planed:

IMG_8110.JPG
smoothing
(277.57 KiB)

On the curve, I used a cabinet scraper:

IMG_8113.JPG
scraping
(198.1 KiB)

Before removing the pencil marks I made sure I could still see which slat went where

IMG_8111.JPG
easy as 1 2 3
(274.27 KiB)

To chamfer the long curve, I needed something freehand but with a bit of delicacy about it. Time for a beautiful little boxwood spokeshave, only 7½" long. This one is also marked "Warlow" - the same Bristol ironmonger that sold the saw I have been using on this project.

IMG_8114.JPG
a close shave
(274.61 KiB)

IMG_8115.JPG
Warlow
(180.9 KiB)

(Incidentally, this size would have been listed in the catalogues as 1½", as that's the length of the iron. According to the excellent booklet on the subject by the late Ken Hawley, spokeshave irons went from 1" up to 6" long.)

Sadly, Warlows are no longer in business, though one of their old shops still bears the name:

warlow.jpg
No longer the shop it was, but still useful...
(202.88 KiB)

but happily, Bristol design is just across the road, for anyone needing to stock up.

That's all the progress for now; I'll leave you with an artfully posed shot of the sort of detail that will always be covered up by bedding or pillows when this thing is finished ;)

IMG_8116.JPG
what the tools are for!
(134.94 KiB)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 08 Aug 2022, 08:13

I'm enjoying this Andy...........probably almost as much as you are. :)

As for the finish choice: anything but Osmo for me. I can't find a good word to say for it.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 08 Aug 2022, 10:25

Mike G wrote:I
As for the finish choice: anything but Osmo for me. I can't find a good word to say for it.

What's you aversion to it, Mike? I'm no expert on wood finishing, not at all, but I've always been quite happy with it. But there may well be far better options out there these days. But why not Osmo?

Andy - good thinking on numbering the mortices! You'd never catch making a rookie error like that... :eusa-liar:
S
Steve Maskery
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 08 Aug 2022, 11:02

AndyT wrote:For the chamfering, it was the same sort of routine. I was holding the slats against a couple of pegs in the bench, positioning the plane the same way, and taking just two shavings from each arris.

But doesn't that mean the Nurse chamfer plane, or a block plane would have done if you are counting shavings rather than relying on the depth stop ? It would have robbed us of the photos of nice old tools though ;)
Sheffield Tony
Sapling

Name: Tony Hague

Postby AndyT » 08 Aug 2022, 14:14

Thanks all. I do like Osmo Poly-x and I've used it on several other projects. It's been especially useful when reviving tired old unknown finish on veneer (eg on some 1970s speaker cabinets). It blended in invisibly with the existing finish and didn't raise the grain. Once properly cured, which takes a couple of weeks, it's tough enough for hot mugs of tea or leaky wineglasses. Just a bit too slow and smelly for this project.

Steve, it's funny you should mention numbering the mortises. I'm pretty sure it's something I learned on here. Can't remember who posted it though... ;)

And Tony, well, you're right of course, but look at like this. I'm doing a public service here.

The Spartan minimalists can count the "excess" tools and feel good as they mentally confiscate five different planes and replace them with one Stanley knife.

But other folk, those with an eye for the pleasures of good old tools, well, they can get some ideas for their shopping trips or birthday present lists.

Everybody wins! :D
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby AndyT » 16 Aug 2022, 16:25

While this thread has gone a bit quiet, I have still been plugging away at prepping and varnishing the components for the two ends, so that they will all be varnished before assembly. I can't remember doing this before, but it certainly seems to make sense for a project like this. It's so much easier to work on separate pieces than it would be to try and get a brush in around corners. So thanks all, for encouraging me to do it this way!

I've not taken lots of very similar photos, but you can probably imagine sanding and varnishing, with just enough tidying up to lay a set of bits out on the bench.

I've now got two coats on all the vertical slats and the horizontal rails that they fit into. I've trimmed the legs to size and got one coat on them. I've yet to tackle the horizontal capping pieces that will go over the top ends of the legs and across the top edges of the upper rails. I think I know how I can attach them but the sizing will be a bit experimental once I have the head and foot assemblies done.

I've been thinking about how to put the ends together. Way back ages ago I showed a dry run, with slats, rails and (untrimmed) legs:

IMG_7993.JPG
(320.62 KiB)

That all fitted together reasonably well, but I want to get everything as tight as I can. So, I think what I will do is to assemble the inner parts without the legs, pulled up tight with cramps, checked for square. That way I get a better chance that more of the custom trimmed shoulders will touch properly. The next day, I can glue the legs on and cramp up in the opposite direction to pull those joints up tight.

If it means that the big tenons on the ends of the horizontal rails need a bit of trimming to make them go into their mortises in the legs, or if I need to slightly raise or lower the mortises by shimming or trimming, then that's fine by me. I've got half inch shoulders which will hide any slight adjustments.

But please, if you can see a reason why that's a stupid plan, do please say so now!

Here are a few photos to prove that I have been getting on with this. If I seem to have slowed down, I can mention time away from the workshop etc. Also, it's been quite hot! - an unprecedented 26.5 degrees in my well-sheltered basement. I'm only too well aware of the heat given off by the fluorescent tubes near my head, and having the vacuum cleaner on at the same time only makes it worse.

IMG_8117.JPG
trimming legs to length
(290.59 KiB)

IMG_8118.JPG
a matched pair
(290.08 KiB)

IMG_8119.JPG
sanding
(322.87 KiB)

IMG_8121.JPG
a chamfer
(150.2 KiB)

IMG_8124.JPG
chamfering a foot by freehand planing back to a line
(145.05 KiB)

IMG_8127.JPG
legs set out to dry
(323.43 KiB)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » Yesterday, 07:02

Your glue-up proposal seems sensible to me, Andy. The alternative is to slightly lower the bottom edge of the upper mortice in the legs, to give you certainty that it won't be pushing your joints open. Or indeed, shave a little off the bottom edge of the corresponding tenon. You could then glue the whole assembly in one hit. But unless time is suddenly an issue, there wouldn't seem to be much to gain from that approach.

I've never chamfered to a line in my life. Accurate chamfers seem to be the flavour of the week around here.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AndyT » Yesterday, 07:54

Thanks Mike.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Previous