It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:20

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (g'ge roof & shed no. 9)

Postby Mike G » 28 Aug 2021, 06:50

Blackswanwood wrote:That looks superb. Roofing (well) is a real skill.

Thanks Bob. Once you've got the verges and the eaves sorted, the roofing itself is really just labour.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Aug 2021, 07:50

"I used half tiles because that's the traditional way, Adrian. It's the way it's done on listed buildings. Tile-and-a-halves are a much more recent innovation."

Well, despite researching old barns for years, I never knew that. I still learn things now and again. :D

I must admit, I did the same on my utility room roof, but that was because I couldn't easily get tile and a half to match my stock of Kent clay pegs.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Aug 2021, 08:45

Only ten sheds Mike? Surely there is room to make a round dozen? :D

Fascinating to watch progress as always.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rezi » 28 Aug 2021, 10:24

Proper job.
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby AndyT » 28 Aug 2021, 10:57

I've nothing to add except to repeat that it really looks like it belongs there and has already been there, maturing for quite some time, while also managing to look fresh and in good condition.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 28 Aug 2021, 12:34

Looking very good Mike 8-)

Now that makes it 9 roof-wetting parties. That will be some p1ss-up, need a long weekend for it. :lol:
Plenty of place to sleep over in tents :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (bin store roof)

Postby Mike G » 28 Aug 2021, 19:03

This doesn't look like a days work, but it was. A reminder of the "before":

Tilting fillet, lead flashing, and undercloaking sorted (that was most of the morning):

And finally the "after":

Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 28 Aug 2021, 19:48

Bin store looks very good. Very nice detailing. You are lucky that you only have a couple. We have five wheelie bins plus various boxes as Tunbridge Wells make us separate everything.

Do you not find that with the pump unit for the sewerage treatment plant exposed you get quite a bit of noise? I recently upgraded ours which has a water pump, a rotary motor (silent) and an air blower (constant hum), and it is too noisy for my taste so I need to build a vented enclosure.

Is the brown pipe a vent or a fresh water outlet? Does it need a rodent cap?
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Aug 2021, 20:04

The brown pipe is just there to remind me to install a surface water drain taking water from the roof to the ditch. It's not connected to anything.

Yes, the pump unit is somewhat noiser than I'd like. However, it is going to be in a masonry box with a heavy lid sitting in the ground (ground level will be the top of the blockwork), and I'll put some dampening inside too. It's also quite a way from the house. It hasn't disturbed us over the last 4 or 5 years when the box was just sitting loose on the surface, and should be a lot quieter when I've finished with it, so we should be OK.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (a shed in a day)

Postby Mike G » 01 Sep 2021, 21:32

Right, time for a bike shed. I started by cutting a whole lot of studs:

Then, in pairs, carefully cut the plates to length, and mark out the stud positions. This requires your brain to be in gear:

Now, you can switch your brain off for a while and just get nailing. Don't worry about getting anything square:

You square things up when you nail on the sheathing:

These frames had to be made in the order they were because the front and back walls are (obviously) longer than the inside of the building. So they get built on top of the gable walls, which lifts them above the brick plinth.......otherwise they would have to get made in two pieces. As this building is about 3m x 3.6m, there's little point breaking the panels in half. So here are all the finished frames:

I changed my mind a few days ago about the contruction of this building. I was going to just have it as an uninsulated store and workshop for the bikes, but there's every chance I might end up on a static bike in there in the winter, and so might need some heat......thus the OSB needs to go on the inside face of the studwork. The walls are ex 3x2's, in case you hadn't noticed. Anyway, the first panel is far and away the most difficult to erect, because it just flaps around. I was by myself, but got my wife to pass props and clamps etc:

Once you've got a corner up, you've got something secure to work with:

It took a while squaring everything up and locating stuff properly, securing the corners, belting the frames down to level on their mortar bed, and pointing, so I didn't finish until after 7 this evening:

I'm trying to use up scraps and left overs for the roof, so it will be a different roof structure to normal. Hopefully I can get on with that tomorrow.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 01 Sep 2021, 23:19

"I was by myself"

"But my wife passed me xyz."

In my parish this means: my wife was there and therefore in her view deserves equal credit for all aspects of the design and build. It is wise not to forget this when describing things one has built.

I need to put up a shed on my base near the oil tank. Will copy your method. Are you going to put some insulation between the studs?
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Sep 2021, 07:31

:lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife was in her greenhouse when I dropped the critical clamp. She heard me calling.

Yes, I'll be insulating between the studs and between the rafters.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 02 Sep 2021, 09:03

AJB Temple wrote:"I was by myself"

"But my wife passed me xyz."

In my parish this means: my wife was there and therefore in her view deserves equal credit for all aspects of the design and build. It is wise not to forget this when describing things one has built.

Equal credit! In my house it would mean that yet again she saved the entire project which would have been a complete failure but for the intervention.
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby Cabinetman » 03 Sep 2021, 08:59

I am very fortunate that the future Mrs C is extremely interested in timber, methods of construction and design loves furniture and has a very good eye for detail, only problem is she dislikes Oak and the way it yellows, so I shall be building in Mahogany and Maple in the future, just as well I like them both.
I think if you’re going to be in there peddling away to your hearts content Mike you’re going to need a nice big window. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Cabinetman » 03 Sep 2021, 09:02

It looks like you managed to get OSB with the printing on the not so good side, it’s always really annoyed me that!
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 03 Sep 2021, 09:06

Both sides seem the same to me, Ian, but it annoys me that I've put the writing on the inside for one sheet. However, this is all getting painted, so it should be hidden. On the subject of the OSB....the last batch I bought from the same merchants were imperial size (1220 x 2440.......4' x 8'). I was just setting out the studs for this building when I thought I would check the sheet size, and thank goodness I did, because they are 1200 x 2400. Cock-up averted.

As for a window........my wife said that, but the whole point of this shed is to store bikes. Outbuildings around here regularly get broken into, and we've a few quids worth of bikes. There are going to be some pretty interesting security measures for this building, and protecting a window just seemed morre trouble than it was worth.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby mjdewet » 05 Sep 2021, 14:39

Mike,
Great job and teaching us how to do it right first time!

That which cannot be seen through a window, the ownership cannot be changed of (easily)..
mjdewet
Seedling

Name: Thys de Wet

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (cooker hood)

Postby Mike G » 12 Oct 2021, 13:39

My wife and I sat down a few weeks ago to list the outstanding jobs around here, and to put them into some sort of priority order. Surprisingly, this little job was quite close to the top of the list:

I got out my only remaining full boards of oak, and worked out which I could allocate to this job, and which I needed for a door:

Sometimes the boards are so discoloured/ stained that you have to plane a bit away to find the sapwood. One or two needed a little flattening anyway, so I got out my new favourite plane, courtesy of AndyT, and did a little cleaning up:

It was worn out from it's original job, so I had converted it into a scrub plane a while back:

The cleaning up and flattening process enabled me to choose which board would be allocated to which job. The one for this cooker hood, after further flattening to remove some wind, went through the planer thicknesser, in classic hybrid hand & power tool manner. I only needed one good face, but cleaned up the back enough to make laying out joints pretty easy. I decided to do London pattern dovetails for the corners. I've never cut them in anger before, and frankly, I regret doing them this time:

After de-clamping and cleaning up, I used the same bead cutter as I'd used on the piers to put a bead on the lower edge. This involved hot-gluing a temporary supporting shelf in place to stop the router tipping. I used the router rather than a scratch-stock because of the endgrain at the corners:

The soffit of the hood was MDF and softwood. It's shown here sitting in the groove I ran into the back of the oak fascia:

Even crappy softwood like this can be properly jointed:

With the aid of a couple of bits of 2x2 screwed to the uprights, I was able to do my first trial fit:

Next, I moved onto the brackets. These will support the whole structure, so need to be pretty strong. I made some backing plates of 4x1, with rough-as-old-boots no-marking dovetails:

I did the glue up indoors, and screwed them temporarily in place so that they would sit at exactly the correct angle when dry:

No workshop is complete without a stash of old ceral packets. It took me lots of attempts before I was happy with the shape of the brackets:

I found some old bits of 4x2 and 6x2 framing timber which had been stored indoors for a few years:

After a bit of planing, I did a 6-piece lamination:

My new bandsaw is a thing of wonder and beauty. It sliced through this like a hot knife through butter:

The re-sawing is not something I would have attempted with my old one, but it was a breeze. After a bit of shaping, mainly with a sander, I put a bead on each edge of the brackets. Here's one done, and one not done, to show the difference that makes:

Here they are glued and screwed in situ, and with a broom handle let into their inner faces:

Next, I moved onto the cornice. I didn't have enough seasoned boards , so I pulled out a left-over piece of 4x4 from my porch build of 4 years ago (I think). It had been sitting outside under cover, and was measuring 14%, so I thought it might be a gamble worth taking. Circular saw from both sides, then planes, then planer, then bandsaw:

Incidentally, the joy of being able to tilt the bandsaw table in seconds, safe in the knowledge that it would go back precisely to where it had been before, was indescribable! :eusa-dance: :eusa-dance:

The cornice is in 3 parts, centred on a piece of coving. Without spindle moulder, but possessing a hollowing plane, I took the following approach to making the coving, in this order:

I found it quite hard to see where I might have left tool marks or scratches, but a quick wipe with white spirit revealed all:

The other two parts of the cornice were straightforward mouldings on the router table, using a round-over cutter:

Mitres! God, I hate mitres. I don't know if I've ever mentioned that. Especially large mitres, which are bigger than any mitre box I've got. I did this this in classic offer-up-and-adjust fashion: hand sawing to lines, then planing, then more planing. That's all well and good for 3 of the 4 faces, but the final face you have to arrive at the correct angle at the same time as you arrive at precisely the right length. Like I said, they're the work of the devil.......

That's them glued up.

I used my standard wiping varnish mix (1:1:1 Osmo: satin oil-based varnish: white spirit), and built up 4 coats in 4 days:

I got a bit slack with my photo taking for the remainder, but it was only softwood and MDF, a bit of painting, and the fitting of a shelf inside the cornice, flush with the top.

Here's the job all-but finished. I need to fit a knob on the brackets opposite the pole ends as a sort of finial:

I'm not overjoyed by the vent:

So one day I'll probably make something in wood in its place. There is a recirculating extractor mounted in the soffit, which filters smells and grease out of the air. Our house ventilation system then deals with the remnants, including water vapour.
Last edited by Mike G on 12 Oct 2021, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Oct 2021, 13:54

Very nice Mike. I was going to ask about extraction then I got to the last part. Certainly looks the part and I imagine you've got a few brownie points logged for that one. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby AndyT » 12 Oct 2021, 14:32

Hey mods, Ideal Home magazine has taken over the forum and filled it up with bespoke, handmade kitchen pictures from a local artisan.... Didn't even ask what sort of dovetails we like, just went ahead and made them! :D

Inspiring and tiring at the same time again, Mike. Thanks for sharing.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Oct 2021, 15:25

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (kitchen completion)

Postby the bear » 13 Oct 2021, 16:12

Lovely work Mike as always. I have something very similar albeit I didnt make it. Whats confusing me though is I don't understand how you store bicycles in it ;)

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby NickM » 13 Oct 2021, 17:23

Looks very smart. Funnily enough, we’re currently having our kitchen done and last week I was discussing something like this with the designer/maker to go over our Aga.

What didn’t you like about the narrow pin dovetails? I wonder if they’re better suited to half blind dovetails (eg drawers) where you won’t see the “point” of the pins. I can also imagine that they’d be trickier to do in oak than a tighter grained wood.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 13 Oct 2021, 17:34

Always a pleasure to watch your work. Now the kitchen is finished can you start work on the boat, please. :)

Are you going hang tea towels to dry on that broom handle? Do you have a smoke alarm? :)

You are probably way to sensible to let anything like that happen but I would not try it here.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 13 Oct 2021, 20:24

Well that was the traditional use for that rail, Andy, but no way on earth are we going to be doing that. It's simply decoration, and an evocation of by-gone ways.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP