It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:07

Mike's ext'n & renovation (sunroom stone floor & plinth)

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (roof structure up)

Postby Cabinetman » 19 May 2021, 17:17

A brill wip Mike, I would feel quite confident enough after reading that to set about building one myself.
Not too far for the cat to fall, looks like you just got out of the rain in time, the stain on that post bottom is quite incredible. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (roof structure up)

Postby Mike G » 19 May 2021, 17:20

Thanks Ian.

Cabinetman wrote:..... Not too far for the cat to fall.....

No indeed. I really like bringing eaves down low. It really helps the look of a building, I reckon. By the time the hedge gets up, you'll barely see any wall at all.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (gables & sprockets)

Postby Mike G » 24 May 2021, 09:42

Boring job, but next I needed to bolt the rafters and the joists joints. Bolts, though, are too expensive, so I always buy studding (threaded rod) and cut it up:

Drilling the holes is always a challenge. You're never really in the right position. And here's the typical problem:

This is the solution:

That's a cheapo from Screwfix, and the chuck has failed, leaving the spade bit permanently stuck in place.

Next job was to do the studwork up to the gable rafters, then nail on the sheathing:

In preparation for felting and battening the roof, I put up a scaffold. I have two sets of towers, and they aren't compatible:

Then I spent a few hours making sprockets:

The only tool I could find to rough out the pieces into bits small enough to handle through the bandsaw was a reciprocating saw. I hate the damn thing. I just about shakes your teeth out. But it did the job:

Lots of bandsawing:

.....and a little bit of spokeshaving:

This morning I fixed them in place. The plane was just to true-up the big chamfer where necessary:

I love sprockets. They transform an otherwise dull roof, in my view, and they look great from underneath. I had hoped to be getting some felt and battens on today, but the weather and a hospital appointment has foiled me.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 24 May 2021, 10:05

Well, my ignorance knows no bounds. I had no idea that they are called sprockets and have not seen that method shown before. It looks really good and I wish I had been aware of it previously as I would have copied it.

On all three of my timber frames I built at the current house I overshot the rafters, with a notch, then added tilt board for tiling. Your method is more elegant.

Presumably having that elegant detail means you don't plan to add guttering?

Good luck at hospital btw.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 24 May 2021, 10:15

There will be guttering, although my track record in getting it up in reasonable time is patchy, to say the least. The gutter brackets are held by a strap which fixes to the side of the sprocket. There will also be a tilting fillet to support the lowest course of tiles. This is the way it was always done around here until the advent of major pine imports in, I think, the 19th century.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 24 May 2021, 11:12

AJB Temple wrote:Well, my ignorance knows no bounds. I had no idea that they are called sprockets and have not seen that method shown before.

Me neither, the only meaning of the term sprocket I'd ever come across was this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprocket ; looks like Mike's sprockets are number 3 in Chambers: https://chambers.co.uk/search/?query=sp ... title=21st - also called a cocking piece apparently.

They do look very nice; it's not something I've seen before but I'm very impressed.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Mike G » 27 May 2021, 14:02

My back's gone, so there'll be no more progress on the garage for probably 3 weeks. Here are the last few photos bringing things up to date:

That's a jig for cutting a 4x2 into a tilting fillet for the eaves. Unfortunately, I had cut out all the oak sprockets the day before and left the (damp) sawdust inside the bandsaw. This had gunked everything up, and led to an hour of work stripping everything and cleaning the blade and tyres. I didn't have the right blade available (because Tuffsaws and Axminster were out of stock a few weeks ago), so progress was really slow with too fine a blade:

Screwed in place:

This is how it's going to stay for a while:

I've used traditional undertile felt (sand finished bitumised sheet) because I don't need a breather membrane in a roof which is exposed to the outside both inside and out. There are no doors on the garage. Also, this saves having an eaves "protector" (it used to be called an eaves carrier) draping into the gutter.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 27 May 2021, 15:27

Sorry to hear about your back Mike. Must be very frustrating when you want to be getting on with things.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 27 May 2021, 15:51

No doubt it will be extra frustrating, with the weather switching over from too wet and windy to too hot.
Have you made any comfy garden chairs yet? :)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 27 May 2021, 16:08

Yep, it's a damn nuisance, just as the weather turns in our favour.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 May 2021, 16:13

No doors Mike?
Is this ideal if, for example, you ever wanted to build something in there?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 27 May 2021, 16:17

Andyp wrote:No doors Mike?
Is this ideal if, for example, you ever wanted to build something in there?

The same thought crossed my mind too. Having to remove all tools every night would be a pain....

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 27 May 2021, 17:06

If and when it becomes a boat-building shed I will build a temporary extension on the front. I'd need space around the boat. If the boat is 18 to 20 feet long, and the garage is about 19 feet deep, I'd probably want to come out about 4 or 5 feet.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 27 May 2021, 19:12

Sorry to hear you've crocked your back Mike. Frustrating just as we get some decent weather.

Down here in Kent I am still limping about but hope to get the kitchen clad this weekend (rendering done) and then crack on with the oak framing.

During the rain period I've been doing stuff I put off for any least a year. Feels like wasted time but isn't really. Backs are a devil.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 May 2021, 20:00

It's one of my not-so-bad episodes I reckon, Adrian. I'm feeling a little easier already. The TENS machine isn't running full time, which is always a good sign. I might be back in action sooner than I thought. Unfortunately, sitting down is just about the worst thing I can do for a dodgy back, so I haven't been able to get any drawing work done.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 27 May 2021, 20:38

Mike, Have you tried a support belt for your back? The idea is to wear it before your do anything heavy and not only does it give some extra support it also keeps your lower back warm and flexible.

Mine is an oregon (as in chainsaw) one and I think it came from toolsatan or screwfix but I can't find them right now.

Bob

Found it https://www.screwfix.com/p/oregon-29548 ... arge/1756v
There are a range of sizes
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Mike G » 27 May 2021, 21:14

I didn't lift anything, Bob. I reached down to pick up a pencil, and changed my mind. I have put belts on before now when I've had to do a big lift, but generally it's important to have all your muscles in balance, and wearing a belt habitually can led to weaker musculature.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby BigMonka » 02 Jun 2021, 09:03

Mike G wrote:It's one of my not-so-bad episodes I reckon, Adrian. I'm feeling a little easier already. The TENS machine isn't running full time, which is always a good sign. I might be back in action sooner than I thought. Unfortunately, sitting down is just about the worst thing I can do for a dodgy back, so I haven't been able to get any drawing work done.

Have you tried a standing desk Mike? We’ve got a few CAD technicians at work who use them to still be able to draw without sitting all day.
Hope the pain eases soon.
BigMonka
New Shoots

Name:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (g'ge felt & battens)

Postby Mike G » 25 Jun 2021, 18:30

I've been mainly trying to catch up on some drawing work, but I have sneaked an hour on two on the workshop. I completed the felt & battens on the north side of the roof:

Then I had to make some staging for the south side, as the gap was too narrow and far too uneven for scaffold towers:

If it's good enough for Leo, it's good enough for me. The back of the roof is almost done. Just the short cut bits to do:

I love the way the rear wall barely shows above the grass, and the roof just seems to emerge from the greenery:

So, we're watertight, and now the electrician can do his thing.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 27 Jun 2021, 08:32

Excellent work Mike, Truly inspirational I am going to make a start on a utility project soon so will be rereading your kitchen build. If you ever decided to make videos like Leo with Tally Ho I am sure you would generate as many views.
Thanks for sharing.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Mike G » 27 Jun 2021, 11:41

Thanks Michael.

I somehow doubt that me building a 20 foot boat would attract even 1% of the viewers Leo gets.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 27 Jun 2021, 18:18

I may have missed it Mike but I don’t quite see why your battens are doubled up in the centre like that, don’t they all need to be straight across for the tiles to be level? Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Mike G » 27 Jun 2021, 18:58

It's not that they're doubled in the centre so much as halved at the outer edges! :) I just put the full lengths on first for speed. I've now followed up with all of the cuts, filling in the gaps. I've also boarded out the loft, which doesn't photograph well.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 27 Jun 2021, 19:20

Good idea to board out the loft 8-)

Glad to see you are weather tight. I am not. Half my frame is up but battling against pretty constant rain here, so everything is taking longer.

That does look like a considerable density of battening. You are putting clays on, yes?
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 27 Jun 2021, 19:39

Clay plain tiles, yep. Therefore lots of wood.

As an aside, that makes the roof much safer for working on than with some of the big pantiles, where the battens could be well over a foot apart, leaving big gaps for your foot to fall through.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP