It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:05

Krenov lamp

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: Krenov lamp

Postby Steve Maskery » 14 Jan 2021, 15:10

I've bought a small electric blanket. I reckon I can lay it over the bag, cover it with a blanket and I'll be fine. I have had the heater on this morning (Mike, I'll send you the bill :P ) and it's up to 12C. I'm about to go back down and see if my cameras are de-fogged.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 14 Jan 2021, 15:26

theres a lamp post just outside isn't there Steve? ;)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 14 Jan 2021, 17:34

Steve Maskery wrote:I've bought a small electric blanket. I reckon I can lay it over the bag, cover it with a blanket and I'll be fine.

I've had a small single heated under-blanket for severial years now and it's great for speeding up the curing time for stuff in a vacuum bag, as well as glue ups on the bench. If you get hold of an old duvet and chuck that over the top of the blanket, stuff soon gets very toasty! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 14 Jan 2021, 21:36

Dave - very good :)
Rob - Actually, I have the National Collection of Duvets (long story)

I've done a bit more today. Finished cutting the veneers. I think this pic is less foggy:

resawing2.JPG
(208.3 KiB)

Then it was over to the drum sander. As soon as I switched it on there was a big bang. The loading shredded itself. Fortunately I did have a spare. Phew!

drum sander.JPG
(252.8 KiB)

This is the difference between a 4.1mm veneer and a 3.3mm veneer:

bending 4mm.JPG
(260.6 KiB)

bending 3mm.JPG
(254.93 KiB)

Actually, my drum sander has drooped a bit. The veneers are coming out between 3.5 and 3.1, depending on where they run along the length of the drum.

Thre will probably be a haitus as I have a few things to do that are time critical, but at least I've got the boring stuff out of the way, it's taken ages.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 16 Jan 2021, 07:44

:text-goodpost:

Watching closely, very interesting project.

Like the thin-strip-gauge, nice idea.

Is it patented? :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Cabinetman » 16 Jan 2021, 10:41

Looking good Steve, that thicker bit would’ve gone round with a little bit of damping, watching you use the King span to wrap it around with interest, Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Steve Maskery » 16 Jan 2021, 10:49

Cabinetman wrote:Looking good Steve, that thicker bit would’ve gone round with a little bit of damping, watching you use the King span to wrap it around with interest, Ian

I'm not sure that it would, it was beginning to creak, which means fibres were starting to break.

Phil, there is a very young-looking fellow showing it on YouTube somewhere.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 27 May 2021, 21:17

You could be forgiven if you had thought I had abandoned this...

I haven't. But there is a fair bit of catching up to do. Now where were we? Ah yes, I'd made the formers and prepared the laminates. Time to press them in the bag.

I attached feet to the formers so that they stayed upright in the bag and tied down (loosely) the glued laminates:

P1060919.JPG
(315.26 KiB)

then shoved the whole lot into the vac bag:

P1060920.JPG
(304.13 KiB)

I am pretty pleased with the result:

P1060921.JPG
(298.37 KiB)

The two front legs have to blend with the back leg. TBH I'd not thought this through completely at this point, it was definitely a case of having an "emergent strategy" as they teach us in Business Schools. But the basic idea was to make a V-groove in the front legs and somehow fix them to the back leg to make a tripod arrangement.

The V-groove was done with a dado stack on the TS, tilted to 45°,

P1060924.JPG
(291.09 KiB)

and using my Ultimate Tablesaw Tenon Jig as a carrier.

P1060925.JPG
(300.36 KiB)

The V is not central in the width of the leg, so one is cut toe-first and the other is cut in the opposite direction. I don't know what the opposite of toe-first is.

They are going to go together like this:

P1060926.JPG
(178.3 KiB)

But first I need to drill a hole in the end. Ha! Easier said than done!

St. Andy of Bristol very kindly made me a stainless steel pin and sleeve. The sleeve will fit in the base, the pin in the top crook.

swivel.jpg
(1.13 MiB)

I've recently made a horizontal boring jig so that I could drill this hole. YT video here:

The base requires a 15mm hole, but my 15mm Forstner bit made no impact in the endgrain at all. I had to check that the drill was running in the right direction, it was so ineffective. So I borrowd a 15mm twist drill from a mate and used my biggest (13mm) twin-lip-and-spur bit first (very clean) and then tried to enlarge it to 15mm.

P1070104.JPG
(307.9 KiB)

Disaster! It vibrated like mad and I ended up with a hole that was neither 15mm nor even round.

Very disappointing, but not the end of the world. It's only the top 30mm or so that is ugly, after that it is reasonably true. And it won't be seen at all.

P1070105.JPG
(172.74 KiB)

Thank goodness for epoxy resin glue.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 27 May 2021, 22:24

Fortunately the hole was good on position and alignment, if not size, so I went ahead and glued on the front legs, after which it was a set-to with a spokeshave.

P1070108.JPG
(355.06 KiB)

This was the bit I hadn't worked out completely, and I have ended up with something which is OK but not as beautifully seamless as I had hoped for. The trouble is, I don't know what I could have done differently. I could make all the parts round rather than square, but that is a one-way street and I'm not sure enough that that is actually what I want. Hey Ho.

Remember whn we were kids? I my case the 1960s. Granny had a fancy table lamp with a flex that was braided. Maroon. I bet yours had one too. The braiding was always a bit frayed and you sometimes got a bit of an electric shock off it. But no matter, you survived and it put hairs on your chest.

I can't imagine why, but that flex seemed to go out of fashion, to be replaced by PVC in Black, White, or, if you were lucky, Gold. Boring.

Well guess what? Braided flex is no available again, but this time in
lots of snazzy colourways. So now we can get electrocuted with pizzazz.

This means that the flex does not need to be hidden. I had originally intened to make the uprights with a hollew square hole running through, but because the flex is attractive in its own right, I don't need to hide it. Instead I routed a half-round slot in the back of the crook:

P1070112.JPG
(154.08 KiB)

I also cut a bird's mouth inthe top end

birdsmouth.JPG
(144.73 KiB)

And so, with the pin installed, the thing looks like this:

lamp assembled with bulb.jpg
(409.18 KiB)

The problem is, after five months, on and off, I'm not at all sure that I like it....

More later.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MattS » 28 May 2021, 07:22

Wow Steve, that's lovely. If you're not sure you like it I'll just pop my address in a DM :lol: :lol:

Also if you do future lighting projects, as per your link the braided cable is widely available but this site is the one I have always used and they have a huge range of quality products
http://www.creative-cables.co.uk
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 28 May 2021, 07:33

MattS wrote:Wow Steve, that's lovely. If you're not sure you like it I'll just pop my address in a DM :lol: :lol:

:) Thank you
A couple of friends have suggested I eBay it.
MattS wrote:Also if you do future lighting projects, as per your link the braided cable is widely available but this site is the one I have always used and they have a huge range of quality products
http://www.creative-cables.co.uk

Ooh, I'd not come across them. Thanks, bookmarked.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 28 May 2021, 08:03

Well, it's interesting Steve.

I think I'm sort of with you though, something about the proportions in the final image just aren't quite right. I'm sure you've sat and looked at it a plenty but is it perhaps that the top doesn't extend as far over as it should and that makes it look unbalanced? a new top section isn't going to be quite as much work as the entire thing. or perhaps extend it a bit further then hang the bulb via a hole rather than over the end to reduce the "fishing rod" look.

not sure, but you have done a fantastic job of it either way.
wouldn't put it on Ebay though, it's not CE marked. :?
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby NickM » 28 May 2021, 09:18

Steve, I think it would look great in the right setting. Have you tried it in the location you had in mind to see what it looks like there?
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby AndyT » 28 May 2021, 09:26

And what colour/finish will it be?
It might look stronger for the size if stained gentleman's club dark, maybe even ebonised. Or would that be insufficiently Krenov?
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 28 May 2021, 09:40

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Steve Maskery » 28 May 2021, 09:46

Dave - Actually I'm fairly happy with the proportions, it's the grain I no longer like.

Nick - Yes I have. I thought, when I put it together in the workshop, that it might be too tall. No problem if it is, I could lose a couple of inches of the base and most of that hole damage would be lost. But in fact, it is about right. Sadly, most of it will be hidden by the sofa.

AndyT wrote:And what colour/finish will it be?
It might look stronger for the size if stained gentleman's club dark, maybe even ebonised. Or would that be insufficiently Krenov?

Funny you should say that.
The aspect of it which I don't like very much is not the form, I'm fairly happy with that, it's the Douglas Fir. What I used to think was beautiful I now think is a bit too in-yer-face.

I spent a bit of time yesterday evening with DaveR, who showed me how to put a bespoke image onto a curved surface as a texture. I'd been thinking of painting it, a spectrum of colours inspired by David Savage's Rhubarb chair:
https://images.app.goo.gl/h5jmNhcwScYYKhh48
So I've bought some paint and will spray it so that it goes from black feet, through dardk green, dark red back to black at the tip, all in one seamless spectrum...
I do realise that it could just end up as firewood. I do wish I had made it out of oak, and I could still do so, of course, it wouldn't take me anywhere near as long, but TBH I'm bored with it, I have other projects I want to get done before this eye packs up altogether.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 28 May 2021, 09:48

fair enough Steve, maybe it's the image that's doing my nut. pictures in place pretty please. :D

still a mighty impressive bit of woodwork, but we sort of expect (actually demand) that from your good self.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Steve Maskery » 28 May 2021, 10:05

novocaine wrote:pictures in place pretty please. :D

UIm, I don't understand what you mean, Dave.
?

Here is an "artist's impression" of what I have in mind. The colours aren't right, but you get the idea:

dave krenov lamp texture.jpg
(33.86 KiB)
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 May 2021, 10:06

He means pics of it in situ Steve.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Steve Maskery » 28 May 2021, 10:10

Ah I see. Yes. Ta.
Actually, as I say, that is going to be tricky, as most of it will be hidden, but I'll see what I can do.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 28 May 2021, 10:32

I think I agree that an ebonised version might go well with the colourful cable.

novocaine wrote:wouldn't put it on Ebay though, it's not CE marked. :?

Is that a big issue ? All the electrical bits are pretty standard and hopefully compliant with whatever they need to comply with. The wooden bit is just a stand.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby novocaine » 28 May 2021, 10:39

Sheffield Tony wrote:I think I agree that an ebonised version might go well with the colourful cable.

novocaine wrote:wouldn't put it on Ebay though, it's not CE marked. :?

Is that a big issue ? All the electrical bits are pretty standard and hopefully compliant with whatever they need to comply with. The wooden bit is just a stand.

No, I don't think it would be an issue. It was a flippant comment meant in jest, due to a previous discussion on another place, hence the emoji.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Steve Maskery » 28 May 2021, 14:46

I can position the light left or right

lounge 1 (Medium).jpg
(113.02 KiB)

lounge 2 (Medium).jpg
(111.03 KiB)
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 28 May 2021, 15:02

"No Mr bond, I expect you to die"

I retract my previous comments. get it painted black,green, purple, what ever, and you are good to go. it does good in situ, albeit with mask tape cable clips.

I do still wonder about the arm extending past the flex at the top, if anything to give you something to grab and move it round. But I feel this is very much personal preference.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby AndyT » 28 May 2021, 15:12

Agreed. It does seem to provide a useful amount of light, which is surely the most important thing.

As for multicoloured paint - a sculptor friend of mine used to get really stylish results on some of his wood carvings with the simplest of methods. He used two rattle cans of car body paint, one red, one green. Together, they make brown. He would spray one on top of the other or even both at once and get some nice smooth transitions from one shade to another, or variations on the brown blend, without going to the base colours.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

PreviousNext

Return to Projects & WIP