It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:17

Wine Rack

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Wine Rack

Postby 9fingers » 16 Apr 2021, 12:31

Another part of my under stairs storage project is a wine cupboard that will naturally need a rack. My other thread about oak pricing was aimed at this stage.

Here is a rough layout.
wine rack layout.JPG
(113.38 KiB)

And with a few dimensions
Dimensioned.JPG
(95.22 KiB)

To get a rough idea of how much wood I need I drew up a cutlist with rounded up dimensions.
Conveniently all pieces have a section of 48 x 20mm

8 off 600mm
15 off 800mm
6 off 400mm
=19.2m run 48x20

I quickly drew all the pieces and juggled them to fit what I thought would be a convenient sized boards to buy.
first board layout.JPG
(74.97 KiB)

Small amount of waste/ scope for spare parts

When I phone East Brothers I asked for three square edge boards Euro oak rough sawn 2.4 x 170 or wider. Their reply was "what did I actually need to get out of the boards?"

Seems they were much happier to work with "about 20m finished size 20mm x 48mm" even though I'd be planing it myself.
He said they have an opened pack of 2.7-2.9m long and he would find me something. Quoted £75 plus vat.

I went to collect yesterday and stacked ready for me were
3 off 130 wide and 1 off 205 wide between 2.62 and 2.68m long. £74 plus vat. Happy with that.

Time to do a cutting layout. using slightly nearer dimensions than the list above.

Input timber
3 off 2.6 x 135
1 off 2.6 x 205

output
8 off 575mm
15 off 800mm
6 off 375mm
I use maxcut freeware optimiser.

https://www.maxcutsoftware.com/
Designed for sheet work but I just tell it my sheets are the sizes of boards. It understands the grain direction and the saw kerf and away it goes.

all board layout.JPG
(46.4 KiB)

Compare to my first stab layout, I'm going to have not only some long narrow strips useful for edging/trim etc but also a goodly lump 205 x 1.6m ish to put back on the rack for something else.

A bit too much other cr4p in my life right now. Swmbo waiting for a phone call for reconstructive surgery sometime next week having had something nasty and cancerous dug out of her nose yesterday and completing on a new flat Monday, due to interview tenants for on Tuesday and I get a camera up my c0ck on Monday for an investigation - deep joy! but those are other stories!

However all ready for some wood therapy when I get time.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Wine Rack

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Apr 2021, 13:18

Blimey, Bob! No wonder you need huge wine storage.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Mike G » 16 Apr 2021, 13:39

I HATE trying to work out which bit of wood should be cut out of which board. There's alaways a knot in the wrong place, or a shake, and you want to optimise your off-cuts. Do I want a long narrow off-cut or a short wide one? I can faff about for hours trying to come to a decision.
Last edited by Mike G on 16 Apr 2021, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Apr 2021, 13:49

Mike G wrote:I HATE trying to work out which bit of wood should be cut out of which board. There's a knot in the wrong place, or a shake, and you want to optimise your off-cuts. Do I want a long narrow off-cut of a short wide one? I can faff about for hours trying to come to a decision.

Indeed. My next job will be to check the boards against the cutting diagram for any flaws to be avoided. I don't want to cut into my "free" off cut but if needs must....
Most of the rack won't be that visible but with a relatively small section like 20 x 48 knots/shakes/movement could cause a problem with such a geometric design.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Apr 2021, 14:06

9fingers wrote:A bit too much other cr4p in my life right now. Swmbo waiting for a phone call for reconstructive surgery sometime next week having had something nasty and cancerous dug out of her nose yesterday and completing on a new flat Monday, due to interview tenants for on Tuesday and I get a camera up my c0ck on Monday for an investigation - deep joy! but those are other stories!

Bob

Hell's Teeth Bob, I hope everything sorts itself out!

From a purely personal point of view, I reckon that it's always better to have individual 'oles for the bottles rather than stack them up one atop the other as in your design. If you want say, a bouteille from the bottom of pile there's a distinct danger of a vino collapse or you've got to take them all out to get to the one you're after, unless of course they're all first growth Mouton Rothschild's in which case it don't matter :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Apr 2021, 14:17

Woodbloke wrote:
9fingers wrote:A bit too much other cr4p in my life right now. Swmbo waiting for a phone call for reconstructive surgery sometime next week having had something nasty and cancerous dug out of her nose yesterday and completing on a new flat Monday, due to interview tenants for on Tuesday and I get a camera up my c0ck on Monday for an investigation - deep joy! but those are other stories!

Bob

Hell's Teeth Bob, I hope everything sorts itself out!

From a purely personal point of view, I reckon that it's always better to have individual 'oles for the bottles rather than stack them up one atop the other as in your design. If you want say, a bouteille from the bottom of pile there's a distinct danger of a vino collapse or you've got to take them all out to get to the one you're after, unless of course they're all first growth Mouton Rothschild's in which case it don't matter :lol: - Rob

Thanks Rob,
It was a deliberate choice on the rack. Whilst I quite like making things in batches, rather too many identical parts in a bottle per hole for my liking. I tend to buy a single bottle of something to try and then buy half a case. each triangle is designed around holding 6 of the largest diameter common bottle size.
Measurement plus interweb search suggests 72-86 mm. Makes quite a difference as the same size triangle might hold 9-10 smaller bottles.
The intention would be one wine type per section.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 16 Apr 2021, 14:30

Looks like a good project Bob.
Like the look of your your cutting list program.

The camera up dicky - is that just to do a brain scan of the small brain area?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby 9fingers » 16 Apr 2021, 14:39

Phil wrote:

:lol: :lol: Not sure what they are looking for to be honest. On the first date it was rear finger! I said surely we should go for a drink first but they were keen to get on with it!
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 16 Apr 2021, 14:39

Phil wrote:Looks like a good project Bob.
Like the look of your your cutting list program.

they offered to the whole camera down the tip thing for me, but I pointed out my testicles were in my wifes handbag and it saved them a load of time. :)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Phil » 16 Apr 2021, 14:48

9fingers wrote:
Phil wrote:

:lol: :lol: Not sure what they are looking for to be honest. On the first date it was rear finger! I said surely we should go for a drink first but they were keen to get on with it!
Bob

:lol: :lol: Know that one quite well ........... You have to have trust in your Urologist.

The camera up - for the kidney stones it is light, camera, basket, crusher and ACTION!
F-ck it only burns like hell the first pee.
I am convinced the pipe is the size of a 1" hosepipe.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 16 Apr 2021, 15:31

Phil wrote:I am convinced the pipe is the size of a 1" hosepipe.

Thanks a bunch Phil, I was not looking forward to it much anyway and now .....

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Phil » 16 Apr 2021, 15:36

9fingers wrote:
Phil wrote:I am convinced the pipe is the size of a 1" hosepipe.

Thanks a bunch Phil, I was not looking forward to it much anyway and now .....

Bob

Don't worry Bob, just look in corner of the theatre, they usually buy KY gel in 5L bottles :lol:

Phil
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 16 Apr 2021, 15:38

Back to the woodwork!

Just given the boards a good look over and just the one small dodgy bit - or is referred to as "character" ?

flaw.jpg
(95.16 KiB)

Not at all conveniently located length wise to cut out but nicely central for me to take the two wanted pieces at about 55mm each and lose the flaw in the "waste" edging strip.

cut.jpg
(102.72 KiB)

Should workout nicely

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 16 Apr 2021, 15:52

For those considering East Bros as a supplier (rob and someone else fairly local)

I asked about what timbers they stock.
They always have Oak, Sapele, Utile and Iroko but its worth asking about other timbers.
They are a sawmill and will bring in logs by the truckload to meet specific orders. and whatever is left over they will sell till its gone.
They have a job for 20-30 cu m of ash coming up so there will be some of that left over.
They have just boarded out a whole load of English walnut and that is in stick. Whetehr they would kiln the lot of only enough to fufill the current order I don't know. He was a pleasant enough chap but clearly was too busy to spend long chatting with me who only bought 75 quids worth!
I cant be sure but its possibly not the place to be able to go into the yard itself and pick over the boards yourself. It is a trade place with grt big loaders running around the place carrying toones of wood and logs.
That said as a first time small purchaser, they did not fob me off with any rubbish so if you wnated anything particularly spectacular you might be able to chat them up to see the odd board or two before committing it you pick your times or ask when it is best to come in.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Alasdair » 16 Apr 2021, 17:02

I've avoided making wine racks for years, not made one since I worked in bar fitting and made 4 of these behemoths, the pedamented wine racks were over 96" long and about 4'6" high.
We never had a CNC in the workshop (I dont think anyone knew what that was back then).
All the bottle scallops were cut on a drill press with a hole saw and small triangular pieces were attached to the shelves to keep the base of the bottles in place.
vroni.png
(1.76 MiB)

These were made about 23 years ago and are still mounted on the bar wall.

Also had to make a bottle and glass shelf for the bar which seemed easy until the weight it was to carry was worked out.
vroni2.png
(639.4 KiB)
Alasdair
New Shoots

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP