It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:14

Shaker table

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Shaker table

Postby Steve Maskery » 06 Aug 2021, 20:21

It's been a few years since I've made one of these.
I have a friend, Elaine, who used to carve in wood and stone. She also had a gallery for many years. So she understands wood and craftsmanship. She is the sort of client one wants!
Yes, this is a client. Someone actually wants to part with hard cash for my skills. Wonders will never cease.
She saw my little Shaker table and asked if I could make her one. So I took off to see Andy T (not the same as AndyT, you should know) and she bought a board of locally-grown pippy oak. Plus a short bit of thicker stuff.
The official term for this wood is "quercus characterfulus". Beautiful, yes, but that beauty comes at the price of un-cooperative grain, fissures, voids and all sorts of other flaws which make the piece look fantastic but which also make our work more difficult than it would be otherwise.
To cut a long story short, here is the end result.
finished small.JPG
(108.69 KiB)

top small.JPG
(171.79 KiB)

There are WIPS and some video footage, but I am WAY behind on my editing and I'm running out of disk space on my computer. I have a 1T disk, just for data, and it is 99% full. How did that happen? And what on earth do I do about it?
Sigh.
Last edited by Steve Maskery on 06 Aug 2021, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Shaker table

Postby Raymedullary » 06 Aug 2021, 20:54

Nice. I have an identical wip. I 'll post when I can.
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 06 Aug 2021, 21:09

Nicely done Steve.........both the furniture and in finding a client! I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of the leg joints. Of the furniture, you understand, not your client.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Raymedullary » 06 Aug 2021, 21:19

I'll post pics soon. Between leg and foot dovetail all puka stuff
Raymedullary
New Shoots

Name:

Postby AndyT » 06 Aug 2021, 21:32

Very pretty! Looking forward to the wips.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby clogs » 07 Aug 2021, 06:59

cant u just buy another 1T thingy and add to that.....?

i'm asking as I really dont know.....

I hate to throw out stuff even electronic stuff......

I suppose the answer is leave to the kids for when ur gone......hahaha.....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 07 Aug 2021, 07:48

Very nice Steve, love the top.

2 x 4 tb in my computer one for files and one for backup.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 07 Aug 2021, 09:15

Very nice Steve.
As for the Leg joint there are two methods a hand cut sliding dovetail or by router and jig. Which will it be?
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby Steve Maskery » 07 Aug 2021, 09:23

PAC1 wrote:Very nice Steve.
As for the Leg joint there are two methods a hand cut sliding dovetail or by router and jig. Which will it be?

LOL! Do you really need two guesses? :)
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby PAC1 » 07 Aug 2021, 10:06

No :D
PAC1
Sapling

Name: Peter

Postby thetyreman » 07 Aug 2021, 21:05

nice job steve, I love a bit of pippy oak! very tastefully done.
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby Malc2098 » 08 Aug 2021, 18:00

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Lurker » 08 Aug 2021, 18:30

Pete Maddex wrote:Very nice Steve, love the top.

2 x 4 tb in my computer one for files and one for backup.

Pete

Answer staring you in the face, Steve.
Pay Pete to soup up your PC.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 08 Aug 2021, 18:44

It certainly needs doing.I actually have another brand new 1T disk sitting on my desk. It's only been there a couple of years...
I've been trying to network my W10PC to my Linux box using Samba. I have watched hours and hours of YT and spent hours and hours on the machines. Mine simply do not behave in the same way that I see on the videos. If I can network them properly I can archive a load of old stuff out of the way, have some automated backup system going on and free up a load of disk space on my PC.
I don't know if I can add another HDD to my PC, it already has a 250SSD for the OS and the 1T which is nearly full.
I haven't got much of a clue really. And to think I used to do this type of stuff (or at least, the equivalent of the day), for a living, 20-odd years ago, it is extremely embarrassing.

Anyway, back to Mr. Shaker...
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 07 Sep 2021, 13:52

Well I've eventually got round to finishing this.
I took my friend Elaine to see my friend Andy and between us we found a nice piece of English oak with lots of character. Now "character" is lovely to see and a PITA to work with :)
I found two areas of the board which balanced nicely:
top boards (Medium).JPG
(174.5 KiB)

Glued together and made nice and flat and round.
making round(Medium).JPG
(179.5 KiB)

Sadly the Flat didn't last very long, but we'll come to that later...

A table's stability comes from its centre of gravity compared to the limits of its footprint. I have a table like this in my lounge. The height is about the same, but it is a bit smaller in diameter and I regularly knock it over. The centre of gravity needs to be kept as low as practicable, so the top should be made as thin as possible. Well you need thickness in the middle for fixing, but the edges can be thinned out. I started by tring to use a raised panel cutter:
raised panel (Medium).JPG
(125.79 KiB)

but to be honest, it was more trouble than it was worth, so I turned to my spokeshave instead.
spokeshave (Medium).JPG
(161.47 KiB)

i screwed a brace to the underside, but that didn't stop the outer edges from curling down :(. I've re-flattened it as best I can, but I daren't go too far as there are screws not far under the surface. Heigh ho.
bandsawing brace (Medium).JPG
(276.35 KiB)

under top (Medium).png
(2 MiB)

I've been playing around with green screens and alpha channels. It's harder than it looks!

I expected to have to make the column from two pieces glued together, but Andy had a short board that was a generous thickness to finish at 55mm, so that was a bonus. I turned it to a cylinder with a shoulder for the bas and wrapped piece of paper around it to find the circumference:
circumference (Medium).JPG
(146.02 KiB)

Then divided that circumference into three and transferred the positions back onto the column:
dividing circumference (Medium).JPG
(137.59 KiB)

marking feet positions (Medium).JPG
(144.82 KiB)

The sockets are routed out in three steps - roughing out, dovetail socket, flat for the shoulder. It's really handy to have three routers set up for this, but you can do it with two - do all the roughing first, then set up for dovetail and flat. If you have only one router then there is an awful lot of cutter changing to do, because the socket and the flat have to be cut without moving the workpiece at all.

So the column is held in V-jaws and the socket roughed out with a straight cutter. This give the dovetail cutter less of a stressful cut. It might be a big cutter, but it still has a fairly small, and therefore vulnerable, neck. Finally, without moving the workpiece, the flat is routed. I thought I had photos of each stage, but apparently not. Sorry about that. But this is the end result:

sockets (Medium).JPG
(180.97 KiB)

I then cut and shaped the three feet. Actually it was five of them in order to get three I was happy with. This characterful oak is full of interesting shakes, but when they are in the wrong place, they turn into firewood. The dovetail was formed on the router table, but I can't find any photos of that either. If this becomes a magazine article I can see I'm going to have some faking to do.

The column went back on the lathe to finish the shaping, then on to the bandsaw for a slot for a wedge.
bandsaw wedge (Medium).JPG
(209.15 KiB)

wedge slot (Medium).JPG
(194.51 KiB)

So when it's all glued together and given half a dozen coats of a rubbing varnish, it looks like this:

top blue sky.png
(3.19 MiB)

under post.png
(4.11 MiB)

tripod (Medium).png
(1.2 MiB)

finished blue sky.png
(1.92 MiB)

I'm just finishing off a burr elm table for the same lady, so there should be some more pics in due course.
S
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby NickM » 07 Sep 2021, 14:40

Very nice, and you make it all sound so easy!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 07 Sep 2021, 15:33

Nice. I like the process.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AndyT » 07 Sep 2021, 15:37

Shaker but definitely not shaky! ;)
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby johnward » 07 Sep 2021, 17:07

A beautiful piece of furniture Steve - congratulations.

John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Sep 2021, 19:02

One day I will get faster enough web access to see the images. I am sure it looks good though.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Pete Maddex » 07 Sep 2021, 20:01

Another cracker.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Stuart » 11 Sep 2021, 13:53

Nice table Steve. I remember making my side table with the aid of your jig. Without 3 routers it would have been decidedly difficult to get everything to register off the same place. I wouldn't fancy doing it with 2.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP