It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:01

Picture frame with a (slight) difference

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Picture frame with a (slight) difference

Postby NickM » 03 Sep 2021, 16:50

We bought some postcards which are of personal interest to us and I wanted to make a frame to display them. The difference is that I wanted the backs of the cards to be visible if the frame is taken off the wall so it's a double-sided frame.

I'm not a huge fan of splines on frames, but as this frame might get handled a bit more than usual, I decided the added strength was important.

The only snag is that there's no way to get into the frame so if a card slips I'm going to have to get the saw out...

IMG_0292.jpeg
(298.91 KiB)

IMG_0293.jpeg
(348.3 KiB)

IMG_0294.jpeg
(301.19 KiB)
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: Picture frame with a (slight) difference

Postby clogs » 03 Sep 2021, 17:07

nice wood tho....
clogs
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 03 Sep 2021, 17:58

Make the next one like an attaché case. two sides hinged at the top so they are not visible when mounted on a wall, and held together by a dab of glue in the two corners.
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 03 Sep 2021, 18:20

Nice job; difficult to do well and these have been done well. Non-reflective glass? I always use ‘clarity’ glass now for all my picture which looks completely ‘dead’ when you stand directly in front of it. Not cheap though - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby NickM » 03 Sep 2021, 20:57

Woodbloke wrote:Nice job; difficult to do well and these have been done well. Non-reflective glass? I always use ‘clarity’ glass now for all my picture which looks completely ‘dead’ when you stand directly in front of it. Not cheap though - Rob

Thanks Rob. It’s not special glass. I’ll think about that for future frames. This one is in a corridor where it shouldn’t have too much light reflecting off it.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Pete Maddex » 04 Sep 2021, 07:50

I have been planning to do something similar for my 100 trillion Zimbabwean dollar notes.

Pete
Let them eat static

Flickr
Pete Maddex
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby NickM » 04 Sep 2021, 08:27

Pete Maddex wrote:I have been planning to do something similar for my 100 trillion Zimbabwean dollar notes.

Pete

Yes, they're another double-sided thing where this sort of frame would work well.

My wife's great uncle was the chief cashier of the Bank of England and we have some notes with his signature on them. Currently they're in those Perspex photo frames (two perspex halves with magnets), which work really well but are a bit ugly. I could make another of these frames for those perhaps.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 05 Sep 2021, 07:47

Magnets would be a good way of holding two halves of this frame together surely?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby NickM » 05 Sep 2021, 07:50

9fingers wrote:Magnets would be a good way of holding two halves of this frame together surely?

Bob

If I ever have to open this one up, magnets would be a good way of making a replacement (accessible) frame. Thanks for the suggestion!
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP