It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:01

Knife Block

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Knife Block

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Nov 2021, 13:38

To compliment the set of Niwaki carbon knives recently purchased for No.1 son and partner's Christmas present, a knife block in English Walnut:

IMG_6226.jpeg
(149.35 KiB)

IMG_6225.jpeg
(162.94 KiB)

No complicated dowel joints this time, just some offcuts of walnut glued together. All sharp edges rounded over using a small cutter in the router table. Finish is 8 coats of Peacock Oil, left to harden for a few days then two thin, wiped coats of satin Osmo followed by an application of Swedish beeswax from CHT - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Knife Block

Postby Dr.Al » 26 Nov 2021, 14:01

That's lovely. I like the low angle of it compared to a lot I've seen.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Nov 2021, 14:55

Very knife...I mean nice, Rob. I do like walnut of all varieties.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby AndyT » 26 Nov 2021, 15:00

Is it too late to set up a secret Santa and make sure Rob draws my name? :D :D

Christmas seems very well planned and provided for in the Woodbloke residence!
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Nov 2021, 15:36

Thanks chaps :D The handles on these knives are walnut of some variety, so I thought that an English Walnut knife bock would be appropriate. It's also a very useful way of using up odds n'sods in the offcut box(s) that inevitably accumulate and which are too good to go up in smoke in my neighbour's wood burner - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 26 Nov 2021, 15:58

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Nov 2021, 16:45

Nice work. I like the walnut very much.

I like my blocks closer to vertical for handle accessibility but tastes vary. Mine are being relocated to indoividia slots in fitted drawers when I get round to doing the interior fittings.

Presumably it is OK to spray an antibacterial spray through it periodically? (Knife blocks need it and they are not used in pro kitchens for that reason).

Not worked much with walnut and I really like the look of it.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Nov 2021, 17:13

AJB Temple wrote:
Presumably it is OK to spray an antibacterial spray through it periodically? (Knife blocks need it and they are not used in pro kitchens for that reason).

Not worked much with walnut and I really like the look of it.

I didn't know that, but this block is based on my one that I've used for nearly a decade. It would be a good idea to give it squirt of sanitizer spray down the holes from time to time, but I've never bothered with mine and we're still breathing :lol:

Walnut is the best and I covet my stash more than Midas's gold :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Nov 2021, 18:03

Yes. Fine for most of us, but in pro kitchens the elf n'zafty peeps are easily wound up. 8-)

I use a lemon and bleach spray now and again on block knives (then dry and camelia oil) and block just in case I give visitors food poisoning. 8-)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 Nov 2021, 18:42

very nice Robert. Much better than my chucking them in the drawer solution. Although my knives are not that classy either.
But.
The space required on the work surface with them angled like that. Does he have a large kitchen?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Blackswanwood » 26 Nov 2021, 21:24

Very nice.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Postby Woodbloke » 26 Nov 2021, 22:18

Andyp wrote:very nice Robert. Much better than my chucking them in the drawer solution. Although my knives are not that classy either.
But.
The space required on the work surface with them angled like that. Does he have a large kitchen?

The block and handles aren't all that big Andy and would fit comfortably on a standard width work top. These things are going to be a bit of a learning curve for them so I may include a memo of 'doos n'don'ts' for their guidance :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 26 Nov 2021, 23:06

You could drill a hole in the middle for the steel.............lol
Very nice, there is a timber that is naturally safe, can’t recall what it is though.
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Nov 2021, 23:14

What you could do.....is a matching walnut stand for the sharpening stones. And a strop fitted to a thin piece of walnut.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Nov 2021, 09:00

AJB Temple wrote:What you could do.....is a matching walnut stand for the sharpening stones. And a strop fitted to a thin piece of walnut.

English Walnut is good but it's a bit down market when one can make a strop with some Indian Rosewood, doncha know :lol: - Rob

IMG_6219.jpeg
(222.44 KiB)
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 27 Nov 2021, 17:28

:text-lol:
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 27 Nov 2021, 19:18

I have a couple of Japanes eknives which I love. A 10" veg knife and a cleaver. I use the cleaver every single day, it is my go-to knife. It never gets put away, it's always either on the draining baord, the worktop or in my hand.

I also have a set of ProCook knives. The knives themselves are nice enough, but the block thay came in is ridiculous. There are two slots, for three knives each, no separators. They are vertical, which means that the longer knives hit the underside of the wall cabinets before they clear the block, so I have to have the block near the front of the worktop rather out of the way at the back.

And because the knives are not individually supported, the smallest one is always falling over because the handle is heavier than the blade. Definitely a triumph of form over function.

Got to go, I can smell burning...
Last edited by Steve Maskery on 28 Nov 2021, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Nov 2021, 09:46

Steve Maskery wrote:I have a couple of Japanes knives which I love. A 10" veg knife and a cleaver. I use the cleaver every single day, it is my go-to knife. It never gets put away, it's always either on the draining baord, the worktop or in my hand.

I think the 'cleaver' you're referring to Steve is probably a 'nakiri' style with a rectangular blade: https://www.niwaki.com/carbon-knife-range/#P00378-3
..which is part of the set I purchased and is shown it the walnut block, top row, lhs - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP