It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:39

'Nook" Table - finished

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

'Nook" Table - finished

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 12:14

No, it isn’t a special table, just named after the area of the house it’ll end up in! I’ve posted a few queries about how to make it so thought it only fair to provide a WIP as payback. I’m not a massively experienced woodworker but have making ‘stuff’ for years much of it for home consumption.

We have a space in the bungalow (small extension on the back) we use as something of a garden room. It has been christened ‘Nana’s Nook’ and currently has an old ikea laundry basket as a coffee table. This needs to change as it’s too big so my wife decided that this design was appropriate;
IMG_0226.JPG
(60.09 KiB)

Something of a ‘marmite’ design in that you like it or hate it. I was more intrigued by how to make it given that the construction is outside my comfort zone and I’ve already posted some ‘how do I’ questions. I was mainly concerned over corner grain direction and was initially going to consider having the corners run in the same direction as the top and bottom but soon realised that this wasn’t realistic, mainly due to the issues surrounding fragility of the sections and tear out during construction.

I model most things in sketchup to get an idea of overall proportion and scale but always do a full size drawing before I make anything of size. This is achieved with lining paper and pencil on the dining table. This did actually show that the proposed dimensions were too big and so reductions were made for the final version (‘letterbox’ opening too high). This drawing also serves for production of the cutting list (scribbles top left).
Stuart pic rotated.jpg
(74.39 KiB)

I’d always planned to make this out of recycled wood, something I like to do whenever I can because a) I’m tight and b) I like reusing wood where it can have a second life.
IMG_0858.jpg
(244.95 KiB)

I’m pretty sure this is sapele that started life as a set of stair treads in a school that was demolished to build a fire station. I’ve had it for about 10 years so safe to assume it’s dry! There are a number of holes from fixings etc. but these are worked around reasonably easily.
Last edited by Stuart on 09 Jan 2022, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Re: 'Nook" Table

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 12:22

I’m sorry but I don’t know what’s going on here. I’ve posted 3 different photos, in line, in the correct places and this is what’s showing.

I’ve had to type this reply on my ipad as the mac won’t let me back into the thread in edit mode. Appears to take me back to the preview view which of course is useless to me for adding anything further.

Clearly something wrong with my setup (mac running latest monteray). I’ve spent ages drafting a WIP and then struggling to post it in a meaningful, readable way.

Perhaps this WIP is just doomed?!

Sorry again but I think I’ll give up try to post this.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby novocaine » 29 Nov 2021, 12:43

Hi Stuart
you've attached all you images but you've clicked on the wrong image for "place inline".

screw it, just add the attachements and let them sit at the bottom from now on. keep going, I like this table and I want to see how you tackled it.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Mike G » 29 Nov 2021, 12:50

Don't give up, Stuart. A lot of us want to see these photos. I think you have to click on the individual photo name, then put the cursor in the right place in the text, and then click on "place inline". I might be wrong as I post my images an entirely different way.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 29 Nov 2021, 13:09

Sorted for you Stuart.

A couple of tips
1. As you upload give your photos a meaningful name so you can see which is which
2. When you get in a pickle, go to the forum view and click on Quote. This will show you the underlying code and it will be obvious why you (in this case) inserted 3 copies of the same pic and why the others were left dangling at the bottom - because they had not been inserted.

Cheers
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 14:26

9fingers wrote:Sorted for you Stuart.

A couple of tips
1. As you upload give your photos a meaningful name so you can see which is which
2. When you get in a pickle, go to the forum view and click on Quote. This will show you the underlying code and it will be obvious why you (in this case) inserted 3 copies of the same pic and why the others were left dangling at the bottom - because they had not been inserted.

Cheers
Bob

But that’s whats so dammed frustrating Bob. I most definitely didn’t insert three copies of the same image and I used the place inline function using the photo numbers which is easy for me as I know where they come from.

I think I’ll resort to some text and a single photo so I can continue.

Thanks for the help.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 29 Nov 2021, 14:32

Stuart wrote:
9fingers wrote:Sorted for you Stuart.

A couple of tips

Cheers
Bob

But that’s whats so dammed frustrating Bob. I most definitely didn’t insert three copies of the same image and I used the place inline function using the photo numbers which is easy for me as I know where they come from.

I think I’ll resort to some text and a single photo so I can continue.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry Stuart but you must have. The evidence was there that showed it. We accept that uploading photos can be a bit fraught rotation wise but everything else works.
Any how like others I'm looking forward to your methods for making this piece as a few others have been attracted to the style but put off by the construction issues.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 14:48

What's interesting then Bob is how 3 copies got there when only 1 was originally inserted? Somehow my first photo appears to be replicated by however many photos I put in a post.

Anyhow, onwards!

All conversion carried out on the bandsaw fitted with M42 blade (I never use anything else). First cut to remove the old grooves where pieces were joined together then it’s just a matter of a quick run over the planer to provide a decent surface then into full slicing mode on a rinse and repeat basis until I have enough for the cutting list plus a bit of spare.
IMG_0806.JPG
Bandsaw in action
(225.06 KiB)

IMG_0807.JPG
Cutting off the groove
(266.02 KiB)

IMG_0808.JPG
On the planer
(228.03 KiB)

IMG_0809.JPG
Pile of wood!
(207.98 KiB)
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 29 Nov 2021, 14:56

Stuart wrote:What's interesting then Bob is how 3 copies got there when only 1 was originally inserted? Somehow my first photo appears to be replicated by however many photos I put in a post.

Not trying to labour the point but there was only one copy of the photo uploaded but the SAME one had been placed inline three times instead of each one inserted inline once each.

Lets draw a line under this and concentrate of the wood work :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 14:56

I did find some with a wonderful (for sapele!) grain that I thought would be nice to use but it was (for me anyhow!) impossible to plane without massive tearout so I reluctantly abandoned it and went to plainer grain.
IMG_0840.JPG
Nice sapele 1
(294.79 KiB)

IMG_0841.JPG
Nice sapele 2
(291.09 KiB)

Felt it best to start with the rounded corners as this was the key for this design and any major cockup would mean a different design would need to be adopted!

40mm blanks cut and planed to size with an indication of desired shape.
IMG_0824.JPG
Corner blanks
(374.67 KiB)

I did consider the router table for the ‘outside’ shaping but after due consideration sense kicked in. Using a 40mm round over cutter on my little table would have been interesting I think!
I have a (large) number of id card blanks from where I used to work and thought these would make reasonable templates to aid the process.
IMG_0825.JPG
Template card
(213.91 KiB)

IMG_0827.JPG
Templates
(370.33 KiB)
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby AndyT » 29 Nov 2021, 15:01

Thanks for persisting with the project and the wip.

I'm interested to see how it turns out as a one-off rather than something pressed out in bulk on special formers. I also really like the use of reclaimed wood, kept until the right project comes along.
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 15:03

Corners cut off (on table saw) to get close to required shape.
IMG_0832.JPG
Corners off
(380.12 KiB)

IMG_0828 2.JPG
Corners versus template
(186.7 KiB)

Then (thankfully) had a bit of a eureka moment and realised that I’d need to have grooves on the ‘inside’ edges to allow for a breadboard edge joint between corners and the top and bottom panels to allow for cross grain movement. Achieved with 6mm slot cutter on router table fitted with stops that don’t show in the photo. A fairly quick process.
IMG_0836.JPG
Grooves
(200.78 KiB)

I then squared up the ends of the grooves. Not absolutely certain this was necessary but as I’m not sure at this stage exactly how this joint is going to be set up I thought I’d give myself a bit of wriggle room.
IMG_0839.JPG
Squaring grooves
(313.13 KiB)

IMG_0837.JPG
Finished grooves
(381.44 KiB)
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 15:09

Then it was a case of block planing (one of my favourite planes) to shape.
IMG_0843.JPG
Shaping
(353.97 KiB)

To aid in shaping I made a couple of high tech sanding jigs. Short length of shed downpipes cut in half then heated with the old hot air gun to conform closer to required shape. Sandpaper attached with double sided tape. High quality ergonomic handle hot glued in place.
IMG_0846.JPG
Drainpipe
(220.57 KiB)

IMG_0845.JPG
Heated pipe
(343.38 KiB)

IMG_0847.JPG
Ergonomic handle
(258.51 KiB)

I sanded to 240 grit which might seem excessive at this stage but that help provide a bit of a ‘shine’ that helped identify flat spots. Not unhappy with the final product which surprisingly didn’t take as long as I feared it might but you can still see vague flat spots. Some final shaping to be done.
IMG_0848.JPG
Flat spot
(241.35 KiB)
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 15:14

Internal shaping was always going to be on the router table as I already have the correct sized cutter. I think it’s true that cutter sees are generally a waste of money, this set was bought (over 10 years ago) for a particular size and none of the others have ever been used.
IMG_0849.JPG
Cutters
(201.48 KiB)

The 25mm cutter was (unsurprisingly) too big for current fence arrangements
IMG_0850.JPG
Fence too small
(172.96 KiB)

A piece of CLS was accordingly butchered into submission and with an add on and a ‘front’ restraint I had workable, safe set up. I also had to modify the routers dust extraction to allow for the cutter to drop far enough below the table to take smaller cuts.
IMG_0856.jpg
Table setup
(210.65 KiB)

Before starting to cut what were quite big curves a little time with the planes to remove a good chunk of material. I generally enjoy using planes but I now struggle afterwards with a painful shoulder (rotator cuff) but sometimes I’m a glutton for punishment!
IMG_0852.JPG
Planing corners
(356.04 KiB)
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby AndyT » 29 Nov 2021, 15:16

It is probably too late to say this... But looking at your pictures so far, one way to proceed might be to get all four sides dry fitted into the grooves while the corner pieces are still square (or faceted). You could even glue up the top and bottom or the two ends, before doing any of the shaping. That way you keep a reference surface for getting the shaping symmetrical and possibly avoid a clamping challenge.

But it depends on how you are doing the shaping too.

Ah, you posted while I was typing and have solved all the challenges!

I really like the sanding jig, that's genius. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 15:32

I’m never greedy when routing and with a cutter this big it was a case of small incremental raising to achieve the desired radius. I lost count of the number of passes but it all went smoothly and safely.
IMG_0859 2.JPG
Routed
(209.71 KiB)

The modified dust extraction meant not all waste was removed!
IMG_0861.JPG
Waste
(262.84 KiB)

WooHoo, I thought. Finished corners. However, they just didn’t look quite right so I drew the required profile and then traced what I’d produced over that.
IMG_0863.JPG
Comparison
(138.27 KiB)

You can see I wasn’t quite there and application of the callipers showed how far out I was.
IMG_0864.JPG
outside
(267.4 KiB)

IMG_0865.JPG
Inside
(246.78 KiB)
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby Stuart » 29 Nov 2021, 15:39

Not the end of the world and I’d rather be in this position than having removed too much. Back to the block plane and sanding. There’s almost certainly some final shaping to do but as things currently stand I really quite pleased with where this has ended up.
IMG_0867.JPG
Close to finish
(418.65 KiB)

IMG_0868.JPG
Circle?
(269.88 KiB)

Then it’s on to the top and bottom. Considering sapele is fairly plain grain I spent quite a bit of time selecting what to me was a reasonable layout before marking up for dominoes.
IMG_0869.JPG
(360.13 KiB)

That’s progress to date, brought to something of a halt whilst my addled brain deals with the move from windows to Mac (and a good possible explanation for some of my picture issues!).

I have to say, so far I'm reasonably pleased with progress and I look to have 4 usable, round corners. It also appears that the cock up fairy hasn't (yet) visited although there is time!

More to come over the next few days and weeks.
Stuart
Sapling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Nov 2021, 16:23

Nice job. Like that sanding jig solution.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 29 Nov 2021, 18:32

Fascinating WIP, thanks.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 29 Nov 2021, 18:39

Great WIP, Stuart and like the sanding jig. Glad I'm not the only one with problems with concentric circles !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rezi » 29 Nov 2021, 18:46

It's looking good so far, thanks for persisiting with the posting issues.
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Mike G » 29 Nov 2021, 19:11

Well done Stuart. Thanks for sticking at it.

That photo of the 4 pieces held together in a near-tube shows that we missed a fairly obvious suggestion when talking about making these bits. No-one, I don't think, suggested gluing the blanks all togther and turning them on a lathe, yet that would probably have produced the most accurate result. Boring out might have been a bit of a task, though.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 01 Dec 2021, 08:02

:text-goodpost:

I've only just seen this thread for some reason. Lathe was indeed surely the way to go. I share your pain Stuart with picture placement and rotation. Nice WIP. Will be interested to see your jointing solutions.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby novocaine » 01 Dec 2021, 08:28

I think a lathe may have been an option, but the approach Stuart has taken is as good if not better in many respects. first up being potential tear out issues, the other being your stated difficulty boring out.

I'm really impressed with the finish and think it's a great looking piece, I really like the "bread board" ish join, I'd have been tempted to use biscuits. :lol:
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Blackswanwood » 01 Dec 2021, 09:24

Thanks for sharing this ingenious project.
Blackswanwood
Nordic Pine

Name: Robert

Next

Return to Projects & WIP