It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:12

I have an idea for a coffee table.

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Re: I have an idea for a coffee table.

Postby 9fingers » 08 Dec 2021, 19:55

Andyp wrote:
9fingers wrote:The rigidity in this design is provide by the vertical height of the joints highlighted.

FA5DC10F-1763-41C6-BD6F-93A43621270D.jpeg

Bob

Which is what I think I have replicated with my paper and cardboard cutouts below.

47250D55-3E45-441D-A7F4-29A788984CD8.jpeg

With 3 top rails and lower one, all about 4.5cm high do you think the construction would be rigid?

Chief design authority has vetoed metal and wants this done in oak, the V & A legs, 3/4” thick, the top 1”.

Yes indeed you have captured the principles. Whether you or Valerie want a horizontal rail at floor level would be something to consider. Raising the point of the V to meet but not overlap the bar of the A would give you a larger zone to put a rail through maybe 75mmm tall and a 45mm tusk tenon.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 08 Dec 2021, 20:18

Thanks Bob,
If possible I’d like to leave the letters as clean as possible so no tusk tenon, dowels either stopped or through and perhaps even wedged like I saw it on that CH4 woodwork show a few weeks back.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby novocaine » 09 Dec 2021, 12:23

last one I promise.

I've been using it for practice, I need more practice. :)
Attachments
va2.png
(26.35 KiB)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby droogs » 09 Dec 2021, 12:57

A thought I had was use bridle joints and have the V and A cross each other that way and have the table top connect with the top of the V and A using sliding dovetails
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Andyp » 09 Dec 2021, 13:53

novocaine wrote:last one I promise.

I've been using it for practice, I need more practice. :)

If I were to make a nest of square tables I could see that working.
I am glad to have given you the opportunity to practice. You seem to have mastered the software well.

It has been fun to see, and think about, all the differing design options offered up by the folks on this thread.

In order not to find further excuses for procrastination I must stick with my last PAD mock up.

Just need to find the time to get started.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Dec 2021, 14:20

I've been following this thread with interest Andy and can well remember Pinch's settle from a few years ago that he made for you; 'twas a bit of a grand job :D I haven't chipped in with any constructive ideas simply 'cos I haven't got any as I can see that however you slices it, it would appear to be a very complex amalgamation of V&A for what ought to be a relatively straight forward job.
Were it me, I would go the full Monty on the PAD stuff and then make severial mock-ups in some cheap and nasty pine; you'll soon see what the difficulties are and moreover, SWIMBO will have a fully 3D, 'up close and personal' representation of the proposal. You may then possibly get the 'green light' and if not, you'll have to go and sulk in a corner :lol: :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Dec 2021, 17:14

Thanks Rob, my thoughts exactly, although failure is not an option...although you were right about the kitchen weights holders, just scrapped my first attempts BTW.

I'll shall make a couple of VA legs from ply, rough cut a chipboard top and see how it goes.
Wish I had nothing else to do.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Pinch » 23 Dec 2021, 16:43

Hey Andy,

I had one of those light bulb moments last night and thought I’d share a possible idea you might or might not like.

I have grown to really like the ‘Resin River Tabletops’ which are becoming more desirable. They are certainly very attractive with many vibrant colours available for an epoxy resin pour. You can also create swirl patterns while the resin is curing and/or add objects into the resin once poured.

I have very roughly sketched an idea, using the V&A as the actual top. You could also add a few objects into the resin as well; maybe the number ‘30’ in there somewhere, perhaps the date/year, or how about a few small items which have meaning to you and Valerie – maybe flower heads, petals, jewellery, or something important to you guys.

The outline shape would pretty much be a parallelogram.

IMG_1121.jpg
(146.14 KiB)

You’ve probably seen many different resin river tables on the internet, but if you haven't, here are a few I've pinched off the internet to demonstrate the vibrant colours available.

1.jpg
(283.27 KiB)

2.jpg
(98.81 KiB)

3.jpg
(50.59 KiB)

5.jpg
(168.42 KiB)

6.jpg
(215.19 KiB)

7.jpg
(186.68 KiB)

8.jpg
(73.92 KiB)

9.jpg
(123.33 KiB)

10.jpg
(88.62 KiB)

I can see your V&A (similar to the above sketch) in the form of a resin & wood table. I also see the swirls and those sentimental bits caught within the resin - very cool. 8-)

The job's a gooden!

Just sharing a thought ole chap, to keep those cells tickling along.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 23 Dec 2021, 17:05

Thanks Pinch,
Certainly something to think about. We, well she :D , would like an oblong table of similar size to an existing one. Your design would work well for a square table but would need to be stretched for a rectangle. I am not at all sure I am ready, nor able, to experiment with resin for this project but I do have some planks of home felled douglas fir that might lend itself to such a technique. One for the future.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Pinch » 23 Dec 2021, 19:49

Andyp wrote:Thanks Pinch,
Certainly something to think about. We, well she :D , would like an oblong table of similar size to an existing one. Your design would work well for a square table but would need to be stretched for a rectangle. I am not at all sure I am ready, nor able, to experiment with resin for this project but I do have some planks of home felled douglas fir that might lend itself to such a technique. One for the future.

Fair-doos Geezer.

I've never crafted a resin table either, but it is on my bucket list. 8-)
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Previous

Return to Projects & WIP