It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:24

Prototype

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Prototype

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Dec 2021, 15:10

SWIMBO quite fancied the idea this year of messing around with a few cocktails of some sort over the soon-to- be-upon-us festive period. To that end she bought a few bits n'pieces and asked if I could run up something to hold them all, preferably in time for Christmas.

My answer was, of course, ''yes dear, but not the actual real thing.'' I then proceeded to explain that fitting all these fiddly, nicknacky things into an actual project is fraught with difficulty and a prototype, or lash up, would be required to get everything fitted correctly into a stand.

She agreed, so yesterday I made this 'lash up' from some odd bits of pine that were loafing around:

IMG_6332.jpeg
(420.23 KiB)

The most difficult thing was to turn the two mdf templates for the shaker and jug 'oles, which were then bearing cut with a router. The rest of the 'oles were fairly straight forward, but did require test drilling to see that each of the nicknacks fitted. I've written in biro on the stand the size of the drills I used, just so I don't forget :eusa-whistle:

The actual stand will probably be made from walnut (or similar) some time in the New Year - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Prototype

Postby AJB Temple » 21 Dec 2021, 16:03

On a tangent, do you find "lo salt" effective? I am trying it and it doesn't seem to me to add much seasoning.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Dec 2021, 16:13

AJB Temple wrote:On a tangent, do you find "lo salt" effective? I am trying it and it doesn't seem to me to add much seasoning.

I've been on that stuff for several years now and have got used to it; certainly not as strong a flavour as proper sodium salt - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 22 Dec 2021, 09:10

Like it Rob, do you both have a favourite a cocktail? Many moons ago I was a barman at a Cuban themed bar and strawberry daiquiri was a punter favourite along with mojitos.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 22 Dec 2021, 09:49

The nearest I get to a cocktail is a G&T so I am not familiar with the gadgets. What's that thing in the 11.5mm hole?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby woodstalker » 22 Dec 2021, 10:07

Andyp wrote:The nearest I get to a cocktail is a G&T so I am not familiar with the gadgets. What's that thing in the 11.5mm hole?

It’s like a sieve. Fits in the cocktail shaker to filter out all the bits you don’t want in the drink.
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Steve Maskery » 22 Dec 2021, 10:18

My favourite cocktails
Gigolo's Delight
Black Russian
Russian Cocktail
Brandy Alexander

My liver's favourite cocktails
Lime and soda :(
Steve Maskery
Old Oak

Name:

Prototype

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Dec 2021, 10:55

woodstalker wrote:Like it Rob, do you both have a favourite a cocktail? Many moons ago I was a barman at a Cuban themed bar and strawberry daiquiri was a punter favourite along with mojitos.

My mojito’s are my favourite. I’ve perfected my own recipe after going to Cuba a few years ago and asking the barman then experimenting (a LOT) when we got home. Far too easy to drink!

Wonderfully though I’ve found that I don’t get hangovers with rum, so it’s now my drug of choice at parties, few beers to start then on the mojitos and I wake up tired but not ill. :D

I’m also partial to a Long Island Iced Tea but they do hit you hard.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Doug » 22 Dec 2021, 11:10

TrimTheKing wrote:

:shock: :shock: Blimey I had to google that I’m not surprised they hit you hard :obscene-drinkingbuddies:

Years ago my mother in law introduced me to port I love it but it doesn’t like me, definitely one for moderation
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Dec 2021, 11:20

As we spent a week in Singapore a few years ago, a visit to the 'The Long Room' at Raffles hotel was mandatory, so 'Singapore Slings' are on the menu this Christmas. SWIMBO also wants to mess around with rum based cocktails so we have a bottle of Mount Gay and some 12yo sipping rum, which is going nowhere near the cocktail shaker.

Mark - do you have a secret recipe for a rum based cocktail that you'd like to share? PM me if it's really, really secret :D - Rob

Andyp wrote:The nearest I get to a cocktail is a G&T

Nowt wrong with a really nice G n'T. We currently have three full bottles of gin in the cupboard :shock:

Doug wrote:
...me to port I love it but it doesn’t like me, definitely one for moderation

Fabulous stuff with a nice cheese board. The military use any excuse to guzzle port; don't quite know why through? - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Dec 2021, 11:40

Doug wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:

:shock: :shock: Blimey I had to google that I’m not surprised they hit you hard :obscene-drinkingbuddies:

Years ago my mother in law introduced me to port I love it but it doesn’t like me, definitely one for moderation

Oh yeah! On my stag do we started on beers then my best man collected a kitty and just bought in jug after jug of the stuff. There were a few heavy heads on day two's activity... :obscene-drinkingcheers: :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 22 Dec 2021, 12:45

Woodbloke wrote:As we spent a week in Singapore a few years ago, a visit to the 'The Long Room' at Raffles hotel was mandatory, so 'Singapore Slings' are on the menu this Christmas. SWIMBO also wants to mess around with rum based cocktails so we have a bottle of Mount Gay and some 12yo sipping rum, which is going nowhere near the cocktail shaker.

Mark - do you have a secret recipe for a rum based cocktail that you'd like to share? PM me if it's really, really secret :D - Rob

Not so much a secret, but my mate makes an absolutely excellent smoked old fashioned, using rum instead of bourbon, so if you fancy a little drink experience then that's worth a go. Takes a bit of preparation though.

Essentially take the recipe below but replace the bourbon with your Mount Gay.

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/recipes/ ... -cocktail/

My mate, Andy, went the whole hog and served it in these bottles,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JH64OHS/ ... UTF8&psc=1

smoked from this gun...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XSC9PTN/ ... 24M0TYPBZ9

Bl00dy tasty I know that much, and far too easy to drink!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Jan 2022, 13:04

it's gone from this prototype:

IMG_6411.jpeg
(246.54 KiB)

...splashed with various components of a 'Singapore Sling' to:

IMG_6404.jpeg
(205.12 KiB)

...the finished article in English Walnut. There's a little widget at the back to hold the 'muddler' in place; boxwood knob and a couple of boxwood pins.

IMG_6413.jpeg
(192.85 KiB)

I'm glad I made the prototype, 'cos this was really quite fiddly to make! Finished with a few coats of MMM (Mike's Marvellous Mixture), followed by a goodly application of beeswax. Holes in the base filled with blue 'Alcantara' - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby woodstalker » 12 Jan 2022, 13:08

Very smart!
woodstalker
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Alf » 12 Jan 2022, 13:15

Very natty. Hope Mike's Marvellous Mixture is Singapore Sling Resistant, because I'd hate to see it look less than spiffy 'cos someone got squiffy. :D
Alf
Sapling

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Jan 2022, 13:17

Very nice mate.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Jan 2022, 15:09

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Cabinetman » 15 Jan 2022, 13:32

Yes very nice indeed particularly like the widget. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Phil » 15 Jan 2022, 13:56

Looks very good Rob. Just dont spill anything on it.

TrimTheKing wrote:
Doug wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:I’m also partial to a Long Island Iced Tea but they do hit you hard.

Do you still have a liver left after that concoction? :o :lol:

Port - YES! 8-) 8-)

Find a comfortable chair.
Put your feet up.
Settle down with the Port bottle, Port glass, a large slab of milk chocolate and one of dark chocolate.

Take the bottle top off and throw away.

Relax and enjoy.

(Used to do this on a Friday evening with a bottle of Red Heart and crisps and peanuts in my youth :lol: :lol: )
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Jan 2022, 13:20

Phil wrote:
Port - YES! 8-) 8-)

A 'must have' at Christimas! No.1 son introduced his Canadian partner to the delights of port; she'll now cheerfully imbibe a glass or two. Suffice to say, we got through quite a lot :shock: over the festive season just gone - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 16 Jan 2022, 13:52

I went to Porto on business a couple of times.

First time I bought the port at the 'duty free', EUR11.00 seemed a bit expensive, but then just used my daily allowance.

Second time went to the Supermecado near the hotel, same port EUR5.00! :o

Moral of the story - Duty Free can be flipping expensive :evil: if you don't know your prices

That was Porto airport. I flew back to SA via Madrid so there was a 4 hour wait, a very large well stocked duty free and the prices good. Good dinner, cheap beer while you waited till 01:00AM :obscene-drinkingbuddies:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to Projects & WIP