It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:01

Picture frame

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Picture frame

Postby Sheffield Tony » 11 Jan 2022, 12:41

I seem to post too much general chat and not enough woodwork. Probably reflects on life at the moment ! Anyway, a tiny bit to redress the balance. A frame, for my son. Reclaimed wood from old furniture.
Just glued up, checking the fit of the backing board and the glass.

20220102_181223.jpg
(27.73 KiB)

I wanted a hint of the far East to this one. The corner joints are a lap joint, with kind of mitred shoulders. The main purpose of the mitres is to allow the glass rebates in the back to meet nicely at the corners, and it gives somewhere to plane into when cutting the rebates. This was one of the rare occasions I chose the Stanley #78 in preference to my WS A78; the later has the 2 arms for the fence and is generally better, but the Stanley can take the depth stop and fence on either side, which the WS can't. It was also the first time ever for me using the forward iron position to work into the corner. I found myself wishing for a proper bullnose plane, the length of the short sides is only just enough to get a #78 in.

Those corner joints I found a bit of a devil to cut. To avoid scribe lines I marked them out in pencil, which makes an accurate result more difficult. I think I might mark them out with the knife and plane the marks away if I do it again. The first ones I cut are not as tight as I'd like; I got better with practice.

Darkened a bit with Van Dyck crystals, a couple of coats of Osmo. In place:

20220108_205623.jpg
(49.26 KiB)

Sorry about the lighting - it has always gone dark by the time I'm finished !
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Re: Picture frame

Postby Andyp » 11 Jan 2022, 12:44

I can see why you wanted, and achieved, a hint of the far east. Looks good and congrats to your son as well.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby AndyT » 11 Jan 2022, 13:00

Looks good to me, and very challenging to get four joints to match so well so close together.

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 11 Jan 2022, 13:11

Excellent mate, and the style fits the contents perfectly.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Cabinetman » 11 Jan 2022, 18:41

I know just what you mean about too much talking and not enough proper woodwork, got into the workshop this afternoon having not been well for a week and did some real old-fashioned woodworky type stuff, cheered me up no end, pics to follow.
Looks very good Tony, would like to have seen those corner joints prior to gluing, they look a little complicated. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Sheffield Tony » 12 Jan 2022, 00:54

Thanks. I must do better at taking pictures. Never been great at WIP pictures - I get carried away, crack on, then find I've finished, the daylight is gone, and I forgot to photograph the key bits !
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Postby Mike G » 12 Jan 2022, 08:02

Very nice Tony. Anything to avoid mitres!
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Jan 2022, 08:43

Mike G wrote:Very nice Tony. Anything to avoid mitres!

Mitres is easy; you've just got to do 'em right :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rezi » 12 Jan 2022, 08:49

Very nice, the joints look complicated, can you give some more detail on how they were done.
Rezi
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Postby Sheffield Tony » 12 Jan 2022, 11:28

Well, it is glued up now, and I'm not cutting another to take a photo ! But maybe this helps. Both halves the same, as I described it earlier, effectively a lap joint with mitred shoulders.

joint.png
(1.36 KiB)

So the shape isn't complicated at all, it is just getting the little mitred shoulders to meet up neatly, as you can't use shooting boards etc, just pare carefully to the line with a chisel.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Return to Projects & WIP