It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:55

Raised bed project

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

Raised bed project

Postby MY63 » 16 Jan 2022, 15:16

My daughter is about to move into her first home. She would really like a raised bed around 1m high with storage below. Current thinking is to have banks fo drawers one set on either side, with a book shelf along the front.
If anyone has made something or could direct me to a plan that would be great.

Imagebed by my0771, on Flickr
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Re: Raised bed project

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2022, 15:38

I've only done an ottoman storage bed so not a lot to transfer from that.
Maybe look at captain beds or just youtube for storage beds.
1m is a bit high. How should I put this..... checkout the practicality of that height for both parties in the Kama Sutra :shock: A height about 200mm below standing groin height might be better ?

Other thoughts. If bedside tables will be used the the side drawers cannot go all the way back to the headboard.
For full access into the drawers both sides, the room will have to be twice the width of the bed. Will that be likely in a "first" home?
You will possibly need a dust frame over the top drawers.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Cabinetman » 17 Jan 2022, 01:12

Absolutely as 9fingers said, so very delicately I thought, also as per the drawing you will need a bottom rail if you are incorporating drawers, they are not easy on beds, you need a very large room to take them, and as he said a sheet of ply to stop dust getting into the drawers.
I found plastic boxes with lids worked admirably and saved all that work and hidden away so that the bed looks more normal. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby chataigner » 17 Jan 2022, 09:05

Another vote for plastic store boxes - they are available with little wheels that make them easy to slide under a bed. They have the added advantage of having properly closing lids which helps against clothes moths, always a potential problem with long term storage of fabrics.

For appearance, you could fit a low curtain around the bed base.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby MY63 » 17 Jan 2022, 10:26

Thanks Guys, The other party as Bob so delicately put it lives in the U.S. so that is not an issue.
The property is a large 3 bedroom flat bedroom is almost 3m sq which I realise it will be quite tight for opening. one side will be for every day and the other for long term storage.
I was thinking plywood or mdf frame with drawers made from similar.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Phil » 17 Jan 2022, 10:38

Michael, 1000mm height - is that including mattress? Or is that headboard height?

Just looking at my bed, the top of mattress is 600mm, another 400mm added then I would need some steps :lol: :lol:

The base is solid on feet and 350mm high. I will attempt to make a new base (before I pass on :lol: ) and will increase height to 400mm to then add storage beneath the bed.
The wife will add a 'nightfrill??' to hide the storage. I would also be tempted to go the plastic crate on wheels.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2022, 10:51

it's a box with a mattress on it, stop overthinking it. :D

high beds are something of a thing right now, with missionary being far to popular in my humble opinion, but you can't tell that to the yuff of today. :D

I'd suggest half the bed width as drawers, with access beneath the mattress for the long term storage. I did a lift based bed for us last year, so no drawers and a more normal height but fairly easy to do for long term access.
it's going to be heavy as a heavy thing what ever you do, so make it to be taken apart, bed bolts are a must.

oh, and don't forget the matching step stool. ;)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby novocaine » 17 Jan 2022, 11:58

I'd probably do something like this from mostly sheet goods with a few 2" (could go to 3" for a chunkier look) posts and some nice capping.
Attachments
bed.png
(23.36 KiB)
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 17 Jan 2022, 12:49

Thanks, We have the bed from M and S outlet store under £150. Im is to the top of the matress there is already a step for the current bed.
The new bed is 480mm to the top of the matress so the actual space below will be around 500mm.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 17 Jan 2022, 19:42

It is amazing how talking or writing about a project can bring clarity. My son has helped with some trickery on the computer and made this.

ImageAnna Bed More Light (002) by my0771, on Flickr

Now I just need to make it
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 20 Jan 2022, 12:53

I plan to make this next week as the completition date has been set. I am thinking MDF 18 or 22 mm for the sides and 18mm for the drawers 9mm for the bottoms of the drawers. The actual bed is a different size to the dimensions in the picture, I will be setting the bed up on the deck to get the correct size then I can order the wood.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 20 Jan 2022, 14:57

I'd put pockets at the legs to hold them in place.
I'd also put a frame in each corner, tied to each other below to top, legs in something around 3" would be overkill sensible.
I'd also consider ply over MDF, but I'm not sure why. :D
novocaine
Old Oak

Re: Raised bed project MDF or Ply

Postby MY63 » 21 Jan 2022, 12:48

In light of Novocaine's post I will be using pockets for the legs :) Ply or MDF. Would it be best to use MDF on the front facing areas for paint quality and Plywood for the construction parts. I will be using the Domino for the first time on this project. Thanks.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 21 Jan 2022, 15:12

Possibly not much to choose between faces of MRMDF and quality birch ply from ability to take paint well but edges of either will take work. MRMDF will need filling and sanding and ply needs a real wood lipping to look decent. Ply is lighter weight than MRMDF.
don't even think about standard MDF from the sheds. Nasty fluffy stuff as really does not like screws into the edge.
Ignoring recent market pressures on prices, MRMDF is likely to be cheaper than birch ply.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby MY63 » 23 Jan 2022, 09:57

Thanks Bob, I dont buy from the shed's we have a good local timber merchant.
I am thinking of using pocket screws and dry doino's for the frame as it may have to be moved ( upstairs flat)
18mm plywood is my preferred option although I will compare prices tomorrow.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby MY63 » 25 Jan 2022, 19:29

I went to the timber merchant this afternoon to get some prices for ply and mdf for this project.

18mm Birch ply sheet £67.60 + vat (£81.12)
18mm MR MDF sheet £60.48 + vat (£72.56)
18mm Q mark ply sheet £41.78 + vat (£50.02) mid point between standard ply and Birch ply.

I am thinking that it might be more cost effective to use the Birch ply for the outer facing painted finish and the mid range ply for the inside construction that will not be seen.
MY63
Old Oak

Re: Raised bed project drawer runners

Postby MY63 » 13 Feb 2022, 15:17

Looking for a good quality drawer runners for large drawers any recomendations appreciated. planning to build it next week.

I have been busy rehanging doors this weekend none of the internal doors would close, this was the worst.

Image2022-02-13_08-53-14 by my0771, on Flickr

Image2022-02-13_08-53-42 by my0771, on Flickr

Fixed now :)
MY63
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 13 Feb 2022, 17:51

I've had good results with GTV full extension drawer slides. I don't like self closing types so plain and simple for me. I use Buller as a supplier and strangely prices are often better in their ebay shop rather than their website especially for smaller orders.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Re: Raised bed project drawers

Postby MY63 » 15 Feb 2022, 12:43

Thanks Bob they look just the job we found them cheaper on Amazon.

When I come to make the carcus for the drawers I am planning to have an 18mm plywood vertical divider.
Are horizontal dividers between drawers necessary?
If the runners are to be mounted to the vertical divider on either side do they need to have extra support?
TIA
MY63
Old Oak

Re: Raised bed project drawers

Postby 9fingers » 15 Feb 2022, 12:54

MY63 wrote:Thanks Bob they look just the job we found them cheaper on Amazon.

When I come to make the carcus for the drawers I am planning to have an 18mm plywood vertical divider.
Are horizontal dividers between drawers necessary?
If the runners are to be mounted to the vertical divider on either side do they need to have extra support?
TIA

Horizontal dividers - sometimes known as dust frames are traditional and sometime useful structurally in a taller chest of drawers but I would not have thought it necessary in this project other than betwixt mattress and top drawer.
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Feb 2022, 13:25

Can't help with the über high bed, but storage underneath is relatively straight forward. Plastic storage boxes work but they're a bit naff IMO. This is how I got round the issue on our single spare bed:

IMG_6496.jpeg
(157.07 KiB)

A pair of 'roll out', open framed boxes with ply bottoms and castors at each side, so that the depth within is maximum. You can see that we store all our spare duvets, pillows etc in squishy vac bags. Nothing fancy as regards joinery as it's all pocket holed and if of interest, this little article is how I made them. I used a now defunct track saw and Parf table (useless bit of kit) to make them, but there are plenty of other ways to make each frame.
Disregard Laura Selhurst, she blagged my article as her own :lol: - Rob

Edit: this was the second pair I made as No.1 daughter pinched the first set which are now residing in Carlisle.
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Raised bed project Change of plans

Postby MY63 » 17 Feb 2022, 08:20

Things dont always go to plan as we all know. (In my defence I was not involved in this purchase)
A lot of the DIY that had been done in the past is a little rough being polite. the edging on the flooring.

Image2022-02-17_07-04-10 by my0771, on Flickr

If you can't manage mitres then try an alternative method.

Image2022-02-17_07-04-25 by my0771, on Flickr

On a more serious note the wiring is on the old side with a fuse board. All of the sockets are different, some of the lights only have a single 1.5 twin and earth cable going to them. It is time to rewire.
I started pulling up laminate flooring yesterday to lift the main floor for wiring. My son and I will do the donkey work and family electricians will do the rest.
Lifting the first floor I found the previous floor had been left under it, this has green board under it.
Question. What is the best underlay for laminate flooring in a first floor flat?
MY63
Old Oak

Re: Raised bed project Electrical issues

Postby MY63 » 17 Feb 2022, 13:48

The reason the original laminate had not been lifted is because the stone fire surround had been placed on top of the laminate. It is an electric fire but I have cut around the laminate for now but will be removing it as we go.

I am not an expert with electrics but even I know this is wrong.

Image2022-02-17_12-41-51 by my0771, on Flickr

The junction box and the double socket were under the floor. Two wire go left to a socket and two go right up behind the skirting board and behind the fireplace to feed a socket on the other side of the fire place.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 18 Feb 2022, 13:34

If that's 2.5mm squared cable, fine for a ring main...but...a buried socket as a junction box? I'd be tracing EVERY wire in that place, Michael!!
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby MY63 » 18 Feb 2022, 13:58

Thanks Sam, work has stopped on everything else everything is in one room. All of the floors are up we are going to rewire the whole flat.
No point in moving in until this is sorted, more donkey work for me lifting floors cutting holes for sockets etc.
MY63
Old Oak

Next

Return to Projects & WIP