It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:07

An expensive cup of coffee

This is where we don't want anything but evidence of your finest wood butchering in all its glorious, and photograph laden glory. Bring your finished products or WIP's, we love them all, so long as there's pictures, and plenty of 'em!

An expensive cup of coffee

Postby NickM » 30 Jun 2022, 16:25

About 3 weeks ago, I said to my wife that I could do with having a new wood working project on the go.

That morning, after a few hours of hard graft in the garden, I decided to stop for a coffee. I made the coffee and took out to the garden bench and promptly fell through it as the thing fell apart!

On close inspection it was very rotten and beyond repair. (As an aside, it was an oak bench we bought about 12 years ago and I discovered this morning when I cut it up for firewood that there was a huge amount of sap wood in it. Some entire, and load bearing, components seemed to be made entirely from sap wood :shock:.)

Anyway, it must have been fate and the next day I paid a visit to the timber yard and bought some oak to make a replacement.

This is the result. I copied the design of the old bench (which seemed comfortable and attractive enough).

IMG_1041.jpeg
(349.34 KiB)
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: An expensive cup of coffee

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Jun 2022, 16:30

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 30 Jun 2022, 16:40

Nice job and I too have had a very expensive cup of coffee :lol: When I'd just started work I was still living at home and was earning about £4 a week as an apprentice (mid 60's so this was about the going rate). One day I made myself a scalding hot brew and placed it down without a mat on her prized and highly waxed dining room table, leaving behind a beautiful white ring when I lifted it off.

She contacted a french polisher who came out in his van to remove the ring. The call-out cost £8.00 and 'mother dearest' made me pay for it...all of it so that was two weeks beer n'skittles money I had to forgo - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 30 Jun 2022, 16:58

Very nice job. A lot of joints there. Excellent.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 30 Jun 2022, 17:29

Must weigh a fair bit too. Lovely job.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby NickM » 30 Jun 2022, 19:49

AJB Temple wrote:Very nice job. A lot of joints there. Excellent.

44 mortise and tenon joints I think! 35 pieces of wood.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 30 Jun 2022, 20:03

That does look good, well done on the quick turnaround.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Phil Pascoe » 30 Jun 2022, 21:04

I would find a bit of copper, lead or even ali sheet and cap the tops of the rear legs - the rot always seem to set in to those joints first due to water soaking downwards in the end grain.
Phil Pascoe
Old Oak

Name: phil

Postby thetyreman » 01 Jul 2022, 21:16

nice job on the bench, looks well made.
'Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do' Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
thetyreman
Sapling

Name: Ben

Postby johnward » 02 Jul 2022, 05:31

A very attractive bench seat. You will get many years of enjoyment from it. I made something similar in Oak about 10 years ago. I have the legs blocked up on a brick to help keep them from rotting.

John
johnward
Sapling

Name:

Postby Eric the Viking » 08 Jul 2022, 11:58

Comments above echoed. It looks really nice.

Last year I repaired a similar Sapele bench in my mother's back garden. It had been a golden wedding present, and she'd go out to the patio to sit with her carers, who used the bench. I hadn't realised some of the awkward angles involved until I started to make measurements for templates to replace some of the components.

Yours should last for years and years.

E.
Eric the Viking
Sapling

Name:

Postby NickM » 08 Jul 2022, 12:41

johnward wrote:A very attractive bench seat. You will get many years of enjoyment from it. I made something similar in Oak about 10 years ago. I have the legs blocked up on a brick to help keep them from rotting.

John

It sits on some paving slabs set into the grass. The grass/moss has largely grown over the slabs, but I've cleared it where the legs go. Hopefully that will keep the legs a bit drier than they'd otherwise be.
NickM
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to Projects & WIP