It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:49

French polish - Sanding Sealer ?

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

French polish - Sanding Sealer ?

Postby ScaredyCat » 22 Apr 2021, 14:35

Triggered by the other French polish thread, I got to wondering.

I have some sanding sealer (Liberon) - it's just Shellac and denatured alcohol right?

So, rather than shelacout (tee hee) for some flakes and meths, I was wondering could I just use that?

I've never done french polishing before so it'd just be for testing and trying the method. I presume it's just more diluted shellac than you'd normally use, what would be the effect on the time to build up a good finish.

I watched this video which was interesting and contained enough to get me interested in looking more at the process.

ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Re: French polish - Sanding Sealer ?

Postby Peri » 22 Apr 2021, 16:54

Can't answer your question, but this is the vid that got me interested in french polishing - you might find it interesting to :)

Two thirds of people don't have a clue about fractions - and the other half aren't much better.
Good decisions are based on experience. Unfortunately experience is built on bad decisions.
Peri
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby droogs » 22 Apr 2021, 19:27

The sealer is not a heavy enough "cut" to be practical. Sealer is usualy around half a pound and you generally use a 2 pound cut to start polishing going to a much lighter blend to flash off.

hth
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby ScaredyCat » 23 Apr 2021, 00:11

droogs wrote:The sealer is not a heavy enough "cut" to be practical. Sealer is usualy around half a pound and you generally use a 2 pound cut to start polishing going to a much lighter blend to flash off.

hth

Ahh ok, thanks I'll grab some flakes and meths then. Blonde flakes to 'best' option?
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby droogs » 23 Apr 2021, 11:16

shade of shellac is up to you depending on how dark/rich or reddish/honey coloured you want the final result. If doing a particular wood solid or veneer for the first time, I usually cut a 6" x 6" piece and finish that fully in 2 " strips of the 3 types I use before going onto the actual piece to be done. I take the test piece to where the work will live or similar lighting conditions and see which looks best both there and in daylight.

hth
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Return to Finishing