It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 11:51

Cheap solution for fume extraction?

Help with choosing the right coloured milkpaint to slather all over your new project.

Cheap solution for fume extraction?

Postby Craig Salisbury » 04 Dec 2020, 22:34

Does anyone know of anything affective that is safe-ish and doesn't cost a fortune? I know I know im half-assing this but needs must at the moment.

Recently I decided to try spraying precat on some picture frames in the garage, and this was my process:

1) floor to ceiling drop cloths with the opening of the C shape facing the garage side door and making sure all the tools etc are sufficiently out the way on the other side.

2) power up the air filter for a few hours and an oil rad to heat the garage to 22c ish (the lacquer was already thinned and in the gun in the house to keep warm

3) go in garage, mask up and lay down a coat on each frame them move to a bench outside the spray area to dry, and open the door up wide to vent

4) once dry, tke frames and sand and tack for next coat back to step 2 as the garage lost all the heat in the process

This was a PITA and took a good 4 days for the lacquer smell to go completely from the garage, and now i face the same prospect over the weekend spraying another 5 frames.....cant fault the finish though

so am i missing a trick?

Cheers
Craig
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Re: Cheap solution for fume extraction?

Postby sunnybob » 05 Dec 2020, 06:55

Use one of those "snap up" beach tents used for kiddies and about 5 ft square. Mount a bathroom extractor fan onto 4" aluminium flexible ducting and put the end outside (NOT under the kitchen window :shock: )

8-)
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Cheap solution for fume extraction?

Postby Craig Salisbury » 05 Dec 2020, 07:29

interesting, I imagine being designed for a wet environment, they should have either sealed motors or out of the air flow.

i reckon the drop cloth solution is probably better inside as its wall to wall and a decent size, but i am thinking of a gazebo for when i can spray in the summer next year.
- I am not grumpy, im pragmatic
Craig Salisbury
Nordic Pine

Name: Craig Salisbury

Return to Finishing